Interesting map.....

Zephyr

Rather intrigued what types of industry areas some of the so-called immigrant language groups dominated initially. For instance, Portuguese for Utah?  I can see Tagalog for Nevada..a blend of service industries for immigrants and for high demand technical jobs which some American firms might want to pay lower wages for immigrants/with work visas.  

Wonder what census yr. data map is drawing upon.

It's possible there might be still German spoken 2-3 generations later, in WY?? (mother language retention for speaking/understanding, tends to be completely lost by the 3rd generation for many youngsters, after the immigrant generation.)   Or some Germans just want a more remote state to live, with more trees, space. Alot of Germans already know they have a decent public health care system, so a move to U.S. would have to entail a job offer, etc.  They also know/perceive U.S. with far more gun violence than comfortable.

It is up to census respondents how they want to answer what language they still speak at home.

I respond to the mother tongue census language question, as Chinese, because I can/must use the language with my mother...and any of my Toronto Chinese-speaking only relatives.  My last visit 3 wks. ago, I heard a pile of family stories for 3 hrs. in total, from mother.... all spoken slowly in Chinese for me. When my mother dies, after I will still respond "Chinese" as my mother tongue.  There will still be some general things I know how to express/understand.  It gets baked into your brain since childhood.

Have over 15 Chinese-speaking only relatives in Metro Toronto, some around my age. Many more others are bilingual (in a broken half-assed way) like myself and others English-speaking only.

I know Portuguese is big (or was) in CT and Mass because of the time I spent playing for the Hartford Portuguese soccer club.  We played against several other Portuguese clubs in CT and Mass, especially on festival days.

But then, CT was a hotbed of ethnic areas back in the 60's and 70's.  We had Italian, French, Puerto Rican and Polish areas in various cities.  I ended up playing for a Jamaican club team just before I entered the service.

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, Allen said:

We don't have a large Chinese population.  Sushi shops, well any asian restaurant seems to be Korean owned. 

You mean in primarily in Atlanta or just in Georgia?   Very interesting.  I'm not surprised even Japanese cuisine restaurant can be Korean owned. Japan and Korea have centuries-long historic relationship (of invasion), which Korean cuisine restaurant in Korea (when I was there),  there would be a few sushi/sashimi offerings sometimes.

I just think looking at dominant non-English language for some of the states in above map, it might a situation of a high concentration of such language folks in only a few cities in a state, which skews the non-English language numbers.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I know Portuguese is big (or was) in CT and Mass because of the time I spent playing for the Hartford Portuguese soccer club.  We played against several other Portuguese clubs in CT and Mass, especially on festival days.

But then, CT was a hotbed of ethnic areas back in the 60's and 70's.  We had Italian, French, Puerto Rican and Polish areas in various cities.  I ended up playing for a Jamaican club team just before I entered the service.

More than you realize, it probably helped you in relating to a broad range of folks.

35 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

You mean in primarily in Atlanta or just in Georgia?   Very interesting.  I'm not surprised even Japanese cuisine restaurant can be Korean owned. Japan and Korea have centuries-long historic relationship (of invasion), which Korean cuisine restaurant in Korea (when I was there),  there would be a few sushi/sashimi offerings sometimes.

I just think looking at dominant non-English language for some of the states in above map, it might a situation of a high concentration of such language folks in only a few cities in a state, which skews the non-English language numbers.

Kinda Georgia wide.  The only sushi shop that I know that is actually Japanese owned is in St. Simons.   Atlanta has quite a few neighborhoods dominated by one ethnicity, so that may be part of it. 

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Are they recent immigrants? 

They immigrated as adults, Wilbur....some have adult children now who were born in Toronto. Only 2 of them learned English. The 2 are fully bilingual, they can read and write English. The 2 also work in English language only workplaces/ for employers.

So there are several cultural / linguistic divides within my extended family.  This is why I do truly have a real life opinion about immigrants, especially working class immigrants. These immigrants didn't enter Canada with money. Not business class/economic immigrants.

It is a reality doesn't go away for my relationships.  I don't always have this privileged view which is very easy to adopt when one becomes assimilated, middle class and Canadian university educated with English language employers. 

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Kinda Georgia wide.  The only sushi shop that I know that is actually Japanese owned is in St. Simons.   Atlanta has quite a few neighborhoods dominated by one ethnicity, so that may be part of it. 

It makes me wonder, for Georgia without trying to research this historically (and it would be deep research on certain Asian communities in Georgia. More difficult to find than ie. San Francisco or NYC), that it might be perception by Korean immigrants that more Georgia folks would adopt Chinese cuisine more frequently....since the Chinese cuisine was already "known" / tried in states bordering Georgia.

Also the Chinese, was one of the earliest Asian groups to immigrate in large numbers to U.S. in 1800's...because of the gold rush, railroad where they later had to run businesses to survive.

It is known across Canada in many smaller communities from late 1800's, there is often 1 Chinese restaurant or cafe.  Or it is run by a Chinese-Canadian but part of the menu is Western food.  There have been history books documenting this.  My great-uncle did run such restaurant, blend of Chinese and Western in town of 1,000... approx. 90 km. outside of Toronto in the late 1940's-1960's.  It was he who sponsored my father to immigrate to Canada.

42 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I should say their Canadian born children act as their translators....just as we do for our mother. (My father didn't need it, since he taught himself English...which really when you think about it, is incredible with a full-time job and multiple young children to support).

Good for your Dad.  We have two official languages.  Not learning either is a severe handicap and negligent.  How would I do living in China with no understanding of the language?  Canada has many free resources to teach immigrants either of our languages. 

31 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Good for your Dad.  We have two official languages.  Not learning either is a severe handicap and negligent.  How would I do living in China with no understanding of the language?  Canada has many free resources to teach immigrants either of our languages. 

I don't control my relative's lives nor do I live any of their lives nor even my mother.  I'm not towering over them lecturing. It's luxurious to be an outsider vs. being part of family reality.

You realize how arrogant it would be for us to demand our mother..who spent her entire adult life raising 6 children?  She knows bits of English words, when we can't find Chinese.  We figure it out. It's not the greatest, but it works...somehow.  Eventually. 

They are employed in restaurants, janitorial services, garment sewing (in past).  Several have managed to buy their own homes in North Toronto over 20 yrs. ago.  (which now you know, many homes are worth a minimum over $800,000).    A first cousin 1 yr. younger than I, was a nanny to children to one of the Liberal MP's children living in Scarborough.  He later died of cancer.

Their children are quite accomplished, university graduates in CAnada and working full-time, some in professions across Metro Toronto. Credit the parents for this...drug-free, productive adults.  By now, there are some Canadian grandchildren...Gen. Z, etc. who can't speak Chinese. Typical in my birth family too.

5 hours ago, Zealot said:

I’ve not personally met anyone in WV that speaks German. Though I have met many German tourists in state parks.

Germans LOVE our North American national, state/provincial parks.  Millions of hectares of sheer wilderness..unlike their country, way more mountains, etc. and more important, big wildlife.  Some of it for hunting.  Alot of their big wildlife has been killed off.  Or some of it just existed in North America ie. bison.

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I suppose ethnicity of restaurants isn’t necessarily tied to the ethnicity of the ownership.  We see many many Mexican restaurants owned by non Mexicans.  Like my white American BIL owns a chain of Mexican restaurants.   The Dutch import store I go to is owned  by a Mexican couple. 

11 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I suppose ethnicity of restaurants isn’t necessarily tied to the ethnicity of the ownership.  We see many many Mexican restaurants owned by non Mexicans.  Like my white American BIL owns a chain of Mexican restaurants.   The Dutch import store I go to is owned  by a Mexican couple. 

I agree. 

Here in town, about 3 years ago there was a Asian fusion restaurant run by a white owner..which can be very successful. 'Cause after all, who cares?  What matters is the food, how it tastes/is prepared and pricing. If it is Mexican, are the dishes truly prepared in spirit of the original / traditional dishes/cuisine?

There are few fine pastry bakeries run by Asian-Canadians in the big Canadian cities, who took culinary courses in gourmet baking.  Some really emulate the French traditional styles..  

However in this fusion restaurant, there was a huge painting of a pseudo Asian woman (she was painted with overtly Asian facial features), she was handling her breast nipple. Honest, I don't think most  Asian-Canadian restaurant owners would even dream of spending money/decorating their restaurant like that...unless it was a strip joint. B) I found it a tasteless, sleazy take.  

Anyway, the restaurant shut down forever, partially it probably couldn't make it during the covid impacts.  The menu, was meh...kinda simplistic bao sandwiches, etc. and beer....which to me, is a boring menu.