Photography peeps

Chris...

3 hours ago, Chris... said:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

is shutting down in 2 days after 22 years. I have been a member for 18 of those years. 

From the POTN forum.  The post about why it's closing.

The short version. 

Smart phone cameras have killed off most of the digital camera market.  

And this;  Sad truth is that there is no place for conventional forums any more with the recent generations. Traffic is down. Enthusiasm is down. Mood is down. Discussion is down.

There are many old timer members who keep posting, but that does not sustain the site.

• Thank You 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I'm keeping my old Nikon and the lenses I have.  It does a much better job compared to my old cellphone.  ;)

Love my gear too. My favorite is a 1933 Voightlander.

Cameras have been evolving dramatically since they were invented.  Cell phones didn't kill off the digital market any more than SUVs killed off sedans. The technology just evolved as it always has. 

• Heart 1

I just like the feel of my camera(s) in my hand or mounted on a tripod compared to the feel of a phone, iPad, etc..Doubt, I'll ever switch entirely, and I know my wife will not. I am not sure she has ever taken a photo with her phone, and I know I've taken less than 50.

Our local forum, miles city.com is also closing operation due to cost and changes in software.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

From the POTN forum.  The post about why it's closing.

The short version. 

Smart phone cameras have killed off most of the digital camera market.  

And this;  Sad truth is that there is no place for conventional forums any more with the recent generations. Traffic is down. Enthusiasm is down. Mood is down. Discussion is down.

There are many old timer members who keep posting, but that does not sustain the site.

Tanks for the link and readers digest version, Bikeguy!  And sorry for your loss Chris… that is sad.

I read a few of the 88 pages of responses and it made me verklempt. I am quite happy to be a member of part of the anti-corporate resistance here!  Makes us realize even more the heavy lifting that sw is doing here for us.  TY, SW!

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

My new phone, an Iphone15, has a pretty incredible camera built in, that said it is no match for the lens selection and exposure manipulation I get with my Canon D7. The Canon also feels better in my hand, and looking through the lens making adjustments seems to involve me in the process much more than squinting at a screen and poking a virtual button.

• Heart 2

When I got laid off in 2002, I found a new job, but it didn’t start for 2 months, but I had a severance package. I had bought a Canon Rebel SLR the year before to take to the Indy F1 races and to photograph my kids’ sports. I decided with the 2 months to work on being more creative with the camera. 
I knew I needed to train my eye to see things better. I found a site that offered photography techniques and critiques of your work. The owner of the site was a man in his early 30s but he did a great job of keeping people sincere and helpful and banning the problematic. 
There were several award winning and professional photographers who were very helpful and giving. I learned a great deal and made several good friends. A few of the friends are still friends today. 
The site however was short-lived. About 9 months after I joined, the owner had a personal crisis and without notice, totally shut down the site. 
A few had already found a secondary site and invited me. It was not run as well and fractured about a year later. Some of the friends are still FB friends. I met a couple in real life. One is a dear friend. Her handle was Sister Wolf and was the little sister I wish I had. I still call her Sis when we chat. 
After that I tried a couple different sites but never felt the sense of community or connection and just kind of do my own thing now. 

2 hours ago, Chris... said:

I was on there this morning. I think there is still a lot of interest in photography in general. There were over 5000 people on there this morning. There are over 400,000 registered users. 

Are there any RG photos there?

Maybe SW can start a photography forum and throw them a lifeline.

• Haha 1