Tell me aboot your cheap poutine

Ralphie

I have only had poutine at The Maple Leaf Diner and I think it is probably middle priced, not cheap.  But having a sample size of one, I can neither confirm or deny this.  I enjoyed my poutine, but did not fall in love and I have been back several times and have never ordered it again.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I appreciated this post.  I wanted to let you know that, since all of these other bastards probably just missed it.

I think the timing was a bit off.  Late night poutine parody posts seldom receive the attention they deserve.  Sort of like the strippers at the 24 hour place that have to dance at 7 am I bet.  

• Heart 1

Just now, MoseySusan said:

Green chili cheese fries are bar food staple. It’s not poutine, but it’s home.

Snuffers is a local burger joint that has been around for decades.  They make incredible cheese fries topped with cheddar, bacon bits, green onions and juh lop a nose.  You can also add sour cream and of course you have to have ranch dressing.
Cheese fries are back on with opening of Snuffer's restaurant in Plano -  CultureMap Dallas

• Yum 1

3 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

Hmm. Abundant jalapeños on everything is one of the few somewhat redeeming features of Texas!  

Agreed.  Chips and Salsa, lots of ice in your sweet tea, no beans in chili and the willingness to add bacon and / or juh lop a nose to everything are things I probably just take for granted.   

59 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Was this dish shared?  You must have hit Thunder Bay on your journey to another place.  I was in Thunder Bay about... 28 yrs. ago. Flew in to give a presentation.

I tend to want more pizzaz in my dishes. We had gooeyer cheese drizzled all over ..with the gravy too. I enjoy cheese curds separately when made from quality cheese. There's a place in Pike's Market, Seattle that churns it out...

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I prefer my dishes to have pizzaz.

In Montreal I ordered poutine with sautéed peppers added. Meh… The poutine we ate in Vancouver was standard fries, savory gravy, cheese curds. It’s comfort food. 

• Heart 1

wiki:

(There really is a Quebecois culture...)

Poutine (Quebec French: [put͡sɪn] ) is a dish of french fries and cheese curds topped with a brown gravy. It emerged in Quebec, in the late 1950s in the Centre-du-Québec region, though its exact origins are uncertain and there are several competing claims regarding its invention. For many years, it was used by some to mock Quebec society.[1] Poutine later became celebrated as a symbol of Québécois culture and the province of Quebec. It has long been associated with Quebec cuisine, and its rise in prominence has led to its growing popularity throughout the rest of Canada.

Development[edit]

Poutine was consumed in small "greasy spoon" diners (commonly known in Quebec as cantines or casse-croûtes), pubs, at roadside chip wagons (commonly known as cabanes à patates, literally "potato shacks"), and in ice hockey arenas.[1] For decades, it remained a country snack food in Quebec's dairy region, due to the narrow freshness window of cheddar cheese curds.[10][13] In 1969, poutine was brought to Quebec City in Ashton Leblond's food truck (a business which grew into the Chez Ashton fast-food chain).[14] In the early 1970s, La Banquise began serving poutine in Montreal,[15] followed by the Burger King chain in 1983. Others that followed used inferior cheese and the dish's reputation declined. Poutine was largely perceived as an unsophisticated backwoods creation or unhealthy junk food[16][10] to be consumed after a night of drinking.[17]

Montreal chefs would make poutine to feed their staff but had not dared to put it on their menus. In the 1990s, attempts were made to elevate the dish by using baked potatoes and duck stock. In November 2001, Martin Picard of bistro Au Pied de Cochon began serving a foie gras poutine which was praised by customers and food critics.[18] This influenced chefs in Toronto and Vancouver to feature poutine on upscale menus.[19

In politics[edit]

In a Talking to Americans segment on the Canadian mock television news show This Hour Has 22 Minutes, during the 2000 US election, comedian Rick Mercer posed as a reporter and asked US politicians what they thought of "Prime Minister Jean Poutine" and his endorsement of George W. Bush for president. (The Prime Minister of Canada at the time was Jean Chrétien.) None of the interviewees noticed the insertion of "Poutine" and Bush pledged to "work closely" with Mr. Poutine.[67][128][129] A few years later, when Bush made his first official visit to Canada as president, he joked in a speech, "There's a prominent citizen who endorsed me in the 2000 election, and I wanted a chance to finally thank him [...] I was hoping to meet Jean Poutine." The remark was met with laughter and applause.[130]

If only they could find something to put the gravy and cheese curds on besides french flies - one of the blandest food groups ever.

According to one origin story, poutine was born when a customer in Warwick, Québec asked a restaurant owner to add “cheese curds to fries.” The owner declared the resultant creation a “maudite poutine!” — “a damned mess.” 

• Yum 1