I like spaghettio's...

Randomguy

Franco American is the worst pasta out of a can.  It becomes yeasty paste in your mouth.  And that's not including the mystery meat-balls.

At least get some Chef Boyardee ravioli.  That's edible, even if it ain't Eyetalian.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf said:

Franco American is the worst pasta out of a can.  It becomes yeasty paste in your mouth.  And that's not including the mystery meat-balls.

At least get some Chef Boyardee ravioli.  That's edible, even if it ain't Eyetalian.

Spaghettio's were great when you can't cook anything and when you are a little kid.  It tastes like independence.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Spaghettio's were great when you can't cook anything and when you are a little kid.  It tastes like independence.

And then you grew up and realized it tasted like dough held together with art paste, soaked in a red sauce that tasted vaguely of tomatoes, combined with something they called meatballs, but didn't even taste like meat..or even meat substitute.

I learned very quickly I was much happier with CB canned ravioli.

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf said:

And then you grew up and realized it tasted like dough held together with art paste, soaked in a red sauce that tasted vaguely of tomatoes, combined with something they called meatballs, but didn't even taste like meat..or even meat substitute.

I learned very quickly I was much happier with CB canned ravioli.

No, I never learned that when I was young.   I know the quality isn't high, but they are made to be purchased cheaply, so they are what they are.  CB was of the same ilk, but the ravioli was gloppier and harder to heat without breaking on the stove.  I was a kid before microwaves were a thing, you see.  Beefaroni was nice, I thought, but spaghettio's with the meatballs or homecut added hotdogs (the hotdogs that you could buy already in the spaghettio's were horrible) were the king of canned foods for me.

Anyway, they were associated with growing independence for me, that and tomato soup, because I could make them without parental supervision.  There is a particular taste that you want when you think about yesteryear.

Oh man I loved Spagettio's, Ravioli and I especially loved the canned mac & cheese.  The canned mac & cheese had a goopy consistency but I loved it anyway.  I ate that crap up when I was a kid but not so much anymore.  We'll sometimes we get the Chef Boyardee Ravioli's and my son and I will eat it.  

31 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

No, I never learned that when I was young.   I know the quality isn't high, but they are made to be purchased cheaply, so they are what they are.  CB was of the same ilk, but the ravioli was gloppier and harder to heat without breaking on the stove.  I was a kid before microwaves were a thing, you see.  Beefaroni was nice, I thought, but spaghettio's with the meatballs or homecut added hotdogs (the hotdogs that you could buy already in the spaghettio's were horrible) were the king of canned foods for me.

Anyway, they were associated with growing independence for me, that and tomato soup, because I could make them without parental supervision.  There is a particular taste that you want when you think about yesteryear.

You were a kid before microwaves were a thing?  I can't believe that...you're not that much older than I am.  This was 1980 --and I remember my grandparents getting one.

• Heart 1

I'm not sure when microwaves became commonplace but when growing up in the 70's we didn't have one.  I remember warming up my Ravioli's & such in a sauce pan on the stove.  We got our first microwave probably around 1980 but I was already in my mid teens by then. 

Somewhat off topic but as a kid my parents didn't have much money so we didn't eat out much but always had wonderful home cooked meals so a microwave wasn't really a necessity.  Anyway my mom would make us "broodjes" basically a day old stale roll with some Dutch cheese and a slice of ham and she would steam them in a rice steamer until the cheese melted.  OMG one of the best things ever.  I sometimes make them in a micro but it's just not the same. They need to be steamed.  

I have never had the ravioli from a can.  It wasn't on my families hit list.  I had never tried the spaghettios, until I was in my 20's.  tried them, and tossed them.  They were so sweet.  Tasted strange.

My families go to easy thing was TV dinners.  I used to eat the macaroni & cheese with peas and carrots with the apple dessert section.   

2 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

You were a kid before microwaves were a thing?  I can't believe that...you're not that much older than I am.  This was 1980 --and I remember my grandparents getting one.

I think my parents got our first microwave when I was about 12 or so, in 1975.  They were everywhere in a couple of years, and might have been everywhere in the preceding couple of years, but not more.  

I remember people scoffing about microwaves.  Those were the days when we trusted the future, that new advances were coming to change society drastically every couple of years.  Those that didn't see it that way were the scoffers.

I still scoff at microwaves, but I use them when they are the best tool for the job.

Somewhere in a former life after "leaving" P&W I spent a year or so selling stereo equipment and major appliances for a big box store similar to best buy.  As a commission salesman they sent me to Sharp microwave school up in Albany for a couple of days.  What their "cook" "teachers" taught us was amazing.  We used a combo microwave/convection device in school and along the way managed to produce chocolate chip cookies crisp on the outside with properly soft centers and steaks medium rare with seared outsides.

Unfortunately, most people have the leftover rewarmer box on their counter, not the proper tool.

I would have given anything to eat Spaghetto's as a kid.  You've probably heard me say that my grandmother made us little pies I for our lunches which I traded for Twinkies whenever I could.  It is hard to be "odd" as a kid.  Oh what I would give now for even crumbs from her homemade bread or just one more little pie.

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I think my parents got our first microwave when I was about 12 or so, in 1975.

When I was a teen, maybe 15, maybe 17, I bought my parents a microwave.  I think it cost around $400.  We had no idea what to cook in it.  We put in a hot dog, I think it blew up.  They said thanks, but asked me to return it.

When I was in grade school, I'd come home for lunch.  My Mom worked at a different nearby school, and she could usually come home for lunch too.   If i got home first, i'd start lunch and one of my faves was canned ravioli! 

17 hours ago, Airehead said:

I would have given anything to eat Spaghetto's as a kid.  You've probably heard me say that my grandmother made us little pies I for our lunches which I traded for Twinkies whenever I could.  It is hard to be "odd" as a kid.  Oh what I would give now for even crumbs from her homemade bread or just one more little pie.

And it's irony, isn't it...I understand.

Plenty of the stuff we wanted as kids, turns out to be extremely nasty.  I remember how amazing Twinkies tasted.  Either I grew up, or they've been reformulated; the current ones taste like synthetic sponges with a bit of cream inside.  I'm pretty sure the preservative level went from less to much, much more.

Little Debbies Oatmeal Pies.  Those were something I'd trade for that I now think are absolutely disgusting.  That said, I was attempting to trade Fruit Roll-ups, which were equally bad.

Spaghetti-Os.  Definitely designed for immature palates. DirtyHip is completely right on the taste, combined with yeasty, not-really-pasta O shaped things and their leftover "belly buttons" as I thought of them.

I'm sure there's something else...but I do agree that homemade bread or a bit of pie are amazing.  My grandmother still makes poppy-seed bread for me, at 90 years old because she holds on to how much her oldest grandson loved it when he was five.  And I still love it.