Rio Olympics

Airehead

12 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Zika is almost everywhere,  it will be in the u.s. too.

not if we enforced immigration laws and put travel bans in place to protect the US

but we have to get that Kenyan POS out of our white house before we can actually do anything to help Americans

Just now, maddmaxx said:

You know Puerto Ricans are Americans right?

They are a protectorate

and so we should send them mosquito nets and some cases of Deep Woods Off to protect them

but they do not travel to our country, and no, it is not their country. We have Caribbean bases to enforce the Monroe Doctrine, not to make the locals US citizens.

do I have to go through the history of US policy in the west indies? did you not see West Side Story?

56 minutes ago, Nate said:

They are a protectorate

and so we should send them mosquito nets and some cases of Deep Woods Off to protect them

but they do not travel to our country, and no, it is not their country. We have Caribbean bases to enforce the Monroe Doctrine, not to make the locals US citizens.

do I have to go through the history of US policy in the west indies? did you not see West Side Story?

The Jones-Sharoth act grants all Puerto Ricans American citizenship and while they do not have all the protections of the constitution while they live in Puerto Rico hey are granted all constitutional rights of American citizens the moment they come to the US to reside.

When I read an article about all the trash and human waste in the water that the sailing events are being held in I felt so bad for the athletes.  Many of them train for years at their own expense for a shot at an Olympic gold.  
They deserve better than this.  If the other athletes are competing in similar conditions, I say cancel them and move them to a city that previously held the Olympics and has the capacity to handle it.

• Heart 2

33 minutes ago, jsharr said:

When I read an article about all the trash and human waste in the water that the sailing events are being held in I felt so bad for the athletes.  Many of them train for years at their own expense for a shot at an Olympic gold.  
They deserve better than this.  If the other athletes are competing in similar conditions, I say cancel them and move them to a city that previously held the Olympics and has the capacity to handle it.

this is what I'm the most worried about, too. This was ridiculous even before zika

Rio is a garbage dump. Its just that in Carneval season everybody is too drunk to notice

40 minutes ago, jsharr said:

as much as I agree with this, I read an article last Friday that means this would not be possible.  About the only thing they could do is to cancel those events with the risk.  

Brazil hosted the World Cup a couple of years ago.  I didnt hear much of anything about health risks from that, other than the high humidity at some of the game sites.

Just now, az_cyclist said:

as much as I agree with this, I read an article last Friday that means this would not be possible.  About the only thing they could do is to cancel those events with the risk.  

Brazil hosted the World Cup a couple of years ago.  I didnt hear much of anything about health risks from that, other than the high humidity at some of the game sites.

hosting the World Cup is easier because there's only one type of venue that needs to be ready to go,  but then they don't play soccer in the harbor

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I think they may as well go ahead and have the games as planned.  Everything will probably be okay.  People are exaggerating the problems, as usual.

Except for that Olympics official that got shot in the head after making a wrong turn into a nasty neighborhood.