...another math class dropout.... (12' is greater than 11'8")

Johnny Come Lately Name

46 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Lately, they have been updating the signs to actual clearance, finally realizing I guess that truth is always the best policy.

Hasn't helped here. Some stupid bastard hits it on a regular basis. There was even one a couple of years ago where a double-decker bus hit it and people died.

7 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Hopefully they took out the damage insurance,

If you're one of those types that actually reads the rental contracts :whistle: then you'll see in the fine print the added insurance for most truck rental companies doesn't cover damage for ruining a tire by running over a curb, or the damage caused by ripping the box apart going under a bridge or business canopy that's too low.  The 'rental' vehicle insurance most people have with their car policies doesn't cover that kind of damage either.

1 minute ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

the added insurance for most truck rental companies doesn't cover damage for ruining a tire by running over a curb, or the damage caused by ripping the box apart going under a bridge or business canopy that's too low.

Hm.  It's a "remarkable coincidence" that these are probably the two most common issues for people who aren't used to driving big trucks. 

8 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

New York state used to have a policy of posting clearance at least a foot less than actual. Used to pull 13`6`boxes through bridges marked 12`9``all the time.

Lately, they have been updating the signs to actual clearance, finally realizing I guess that truth is always the best policy.

There is a tunnel in the main road into town that they have marked 11' 3" and there is about fifteen feet of clearance. I used to stop and tell the bewildered truck drivers that they could make it but I got tired of it. They need to check their routes before they go or at least read the signs warning about the underpass before they get right up to it.

34 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

There is a tunnel in the main road into town that they have marked 11' 3" and there is about fifteen feet of clearance. I used to stop and tell the bewildered truck drivers that they could make it but I got tired of it. They need to check their routes before they go or at least read the signs warning about the underpass before they get right up to it.

Route guides have always been unreliable. Often, they will show the minimum clearance on an arched bridge that has plenty of clearance in the middle.

Even modern GPS truck routing can't be relied on. I can tell you about many times when my GPS tried to send me on long detours  because an arched bridge was too low on the shoulder of the road, but even the right lane has lots of clearance.

• Heart 1

There is an older stone rail bridge over Lexington Ave in St. Paul...I was coming home a tad early that day and must have got there just after a guy wedged his truck in there ripping the top half off...I called 911 to report it..we were probably 15 minutes away from heavy traffic on that road...wish I could find a pic of the bridge...I am looking....