Hi

AirwickWithCheese

45 minutes ago, Angelic Zephyr said:

SO you are joining the SW strava club to verify everyone's miles (and yours)

I do not know how any of that works. Joining a group led by SW strikes me as a step in the wrong direction. I could use the current day's Greenville News to prove my sincerity. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I think I will miss you most of all. I believe Wilbur and RR will reach the cycling minimum but I see no hope for you.   :(

We can stay in touch during Hanukkah.  

what is the minimum "cycling" you will accept?  Does camping give me a break?  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

what is the minimum "cycling" you will accept?  Does camping give me a break?  

Sorry, no. 15 verified miles a week. A low standard by any measure but chosen by design so I don't lose RG. 

I am willing to accept blocks of likes for offsets when you or anyone has an off week.  

Just now, Page Turner said:

...I thought you had only recently purchased an electric bicycle ? Hint:  if you don't use the electric motor part, it becomes a bicycle by default.

Not allowed on the Swamp Rabbit Trail even if you don't use. I need something to get me from home to Sans Souci and back in style. Something all the ladies will appreciate.   :nodhead:

7 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Not allowed on the Swamp Rabbit Trail even if you don't use. I need something to get me from home to Sans Souci and back in style. Something all the ladies will appreciate.   :nodhead:

...have you checked the current rules ?  Electrics used to be banned on the American River trail until a year or two ago.  Now, they have a number of exceptions to the ban.

My favorite are the electric skateboards......Those things aren't at all dangerous, and the user demographic is one of the most responsible of my local citizenry.

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...have you checked the current rules ?  Electrics used to be banned on the American River trail until a year or two ago.  Now, they have a number of exceptions to the ban.

My favorite are the electric skateboards......Those things aren't at all dangerous, and the user demographic is one of the most responsible of my local citizenry.

You aren't listening. I want a 100% USA bike like above or the 10speed equivalent. I may decide to head off to Asheville on a whim. 

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

This is better. I will look into these.  The badge seems rather pedestrian. What do you currently have that you could sell me at a you love me price?  

The only American bicycles I have are American made frames, like Schwinn Paramounts, and customs like Davidson , Innerlight, and a Michael Johnson.

They are all fully equipped with either Italian or Japanese (some Taiwanese ?) components.  You would be vilified and ridiculed on those in Greenville.:(

I suspect that even if you end up with an American made, older Trek from the Wisconsin factory days, it will still have Shimano components on it.

There's another hipster "American" bike business, "Detroit Bicycles", but they're all foreign component laden and ripoff priced.

• Heart 1

...if you really are dead set on American made, either look at the Wright bikes, or look for a Schwinn paperboy bike from when they were made in Chicago.

Those had mostly American parts on them...the hubs were made by Bendix here in the USA.  There sere a couple of Bendix hubs that were pretty cool, with a coaster brake and more than one speed.

It's not like you're riding it very far, right ?  You can do 15 miles weekly on a Schwinn paper route bike.

There are guys who collect and restore them....they come up on the local Craigslist her all the time.  It's just not what I ride, so I son't have any of them.

Beware of reproductions.

3 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I am glad to hear this. However, you will need to average at least 15 miles a week ( verified ) for me to be able to maintain our friendship. 

Unfortunately, that's not easy to do on a trike, especially with frog legs.  :(

• Heart 1

Just now, AirwickWithCheese said:

My foray into the cycling world is now over. 

...good thing you didn't sign up for a Strava account.  I wonder what @Kzoo's secretive comment is ?:huh:

Do you think he might be going toward, "Cheese would be ridiculed and vilified on anything he rides" ?

Sometimes the people here can be very mean. :(

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I read this entire thread and all I got for it was a bunny picture.

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...and a picture of the Wright brothers in derby hats.

6 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...good thing you didn't sign up for a Strava account.  I wonder what @Kzoo's secretive comment is ?:huh:

Do you think he might be going toward, "Cheese would be ridiculed and vilified on anything he rides" ?

Sometimes the people here can be very mean. :(

This is why I stay away from cycling people. Y'all are just mean spirited. I guess you two clowns would be considered cycling people, definitely a stretch for Donkpow.  

5 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

This is why I stay away from cycling people. Y'all are just mean spirited. I guess you two clowns would be considered cycling people, definitely a stretch for Donkpow.  

This makes no sense whatsoever. It's a good thing my mother is not here to see that type of thing. It would break her heart.

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

@Page Turner, I want an all American made or all English roundabout. New or vintage. 

My favorite bike is a Gunnar Sport. The Schwinn family still makes bikes, and this is one of their brands. It is superb. I was waiting while the shop fixed a Ti bike I had that rode like a truck (life has had a few chuckles at my expense, or stupidity, take your pick). So I took it for a test ride and it literally put a smile on my face. I wasn't in the market for a bike, the one I had was the fastest bike I would ever own. But I was doomed after about 10 seconds.

I rode that bike across Italy, around Lake Champlain, several bike tours in Maine (including a few where I went from here to Acadia, or from Acadia to here). It wouldn't have happened without that bike.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/product/frames-and-forks/frames/gunnar/sport.html