Do froot and veggies keep you on the run*?

Ralphie

If packaged food has one advantage, it is shelf life!  Even things like eggz and cheez are more shelf stable that froot or veggies!  Try to eat healthy and you are constantly looking over your shoulder for rotting stuff, 'specially froot. It is sort of like wimmin - nice, but fairly high maintenance. :ph34r:

I had to change my schedule this morning from eggz to oatmeal with strawberries to stave off moldiness.  Serial was oot because no milk, which is also pretty darn finicky!

* High hanging pitch. :D

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

had to change my schedule this morning from eggz to oatmeal with strawberries to stave off moldiness.  Serial was oot because no milk, which is also pretty darn finicky!

For the milk thing my wife’s doctor suggested we switch to organic milk to get away from the chance of hormones in regular milk. As a unexpected benefit that stuff has a shelf life of over a month.

fresh fruits and veggies are probably the thing we have the most waste with. 

I have learned when travelling for a few wks. outside of North America, where I have less veggies and fruits...this is not a good thing for me.  I need the stuff daily to keep my system "running".  Surprsingly in Japan and South Korea, I found it difficult to get diverse fresh fruit without costing a lot of money.  So yogurt solved only the problem partially.

I bought a tomato at a road side stand last week.  I went to use it this morning and it had rotted.  I always seem to have a problem with the stuff sitting out in the heat all day long at that road side stand.  I've bought cantaloupe that's lasted only days, same with peppers.  The tomato was the first time I stopped there this year.  I don't think I'll stop there again.  Maybe for corn on the cob, which the local stuff is just starting to come available.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

For the milk thing my wife’s doctor suggested we switch to organic milk to get away from the chance of hormones in regular milk. As a unexpected benefit that stuff has a shelf life of over a month.

fresh fruits and veggies are probably the thing we have the most waste with. 

It's not the "organic" part of the milk that causes the longer shelf life, it is the ultra-pasteurization which must do a better job killing microbes??? In any case, I find it lasts real long unopened, but once I open it, it won't last weeks (or, at least, I am unwilling to test it that far past opening).  

But to the OP, fresh fruits and veggies definitely have a shorter shelf life, but many can be frozen and be fine.  By stuff frozen and it is even easier. I like to take bananas that have started to go towards black, peal them, break them into smaller chunks, put in a freezer bag, and toss them in a freezer to have for smoothies later on.

Fruits also seem way hardier than veggies, and apples may be several YEARS old by the time you eat them :(

Tom

WofZ and I usually sit down on the weekend and pick the meals we want to make the following week then go through the ingredients and but what we need.  That way stuff tends to not go bad because we will use it in a week, and when we need it, it is there.  Munchie fruits like apples, oranges etc are on a counter top fruit tree in our kitchen so easy to grab.  I eat a ton of fruit so it rarely lasts long enough to go bad.

8 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

It's not the "organic" part of the milk that causes the longer shelf life, it is the ultra-pasteurization which must do a better job killing microbes??? In any case, I find it lasts real long unopened, but once I open it, it won't last weeks (or, at least, I am unwilling to test it that far past opening).  

But to the OP, fresh fruits and veggies definitely have a shorter shelf life, but many can be frozen and be fine.  By stuff frozen and it is even easier. I like to take bananas that have started to go towards black, peal them, break them into smaller chunks, put in a freezer bag, and toss them in a freezer to have for smoothies later on.

Fruits also seem way hardier than veggies, and apples may be several YEARS old by the time you eat them :(

Tom

I've been meaning to try the ultra pasteurized milk.  I can usually estimate it pretty well, buying either quarts or half gallons, but every once in a while a half gallon will get old on me if daughter #1 is not here much.  Strawberries are by far the worst froot, very often getting moldy within days.  Peaches are not too bad -= you just have to think a few days ahead and only take ones oot of the fridge that will be used in a couple of days.  Apples and oranges are awesome since they do usually keep almost forever. :)

I spent a week in Western Maryland last week while my turned-off-air-conditioning home roasted in 90+ degree high days and in which I forgot to refrigerate a bag of potatoes.

They didn't make it, but the refrigerated "Main Street Scalloped Potatoes" were just fine.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm really saving with fresh stuff because of the wastage.  I do know the fresh-frozen veggies are supposed to be better than canned.

On 07/12/2018 at 8:59 PM, petitepedal said:

I struggle with this all the time..even celery in a celery keeper goes bad before I eat all of it..my last box of strawberries from trader Joe's went bad within a couple of days..who knows how long they were on the road

Celery is highly variable in how well it keeps, but it seldom goes bad - I turn it over pretty quickly. :)  I keep telling the Mrs. not to buy strawberries because they often rot within days of buying them, sometimes there are even rotten ones on day one.  But sometimes you get lucky and they last a week or so.I am barely staying ahead of this current batch using a few per day on serial.