Wade and I made venison chili

jsharr

So we aren't allowed to put meat in chili and call it chili but you can put venison in yours.  We make chili with chicken and you laugh it off as chicken soup and yet you put venison in yours.

I looked up the definition of hypocrite in my Webster's dictionary and found a picture if you... 

Enjoy your chili.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

So we aren't allowed to put meat in chili and call it chili but you can put venison in yours.  We make chili with chicken and you laugh it off as chicken soup and yet you put venison in yours.

I looked up the definition of hypocrite in my Webster's dictionary and found a picture if you... 

Enjoy your chili.

I imagine the cowboys on early cattle drives found deer and buffalo and used that to make chili.  Heck, that might be on a good day.  I bet rabbit and all kinds of stuff ended up in the pot from time to time.  I imagine if they came across a full sized Texas chicken, weight 60 lbs or so, they would have used that.

And as long as you make Texas Red, with spices, meat and tomatos, I am okay with chicken as the protein.

What I am not okay with is some off white slop containing chick peas and beans and pasta and chicken being passed off as chili.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I imagine the cowboys on early cattle drives found deer and buffalo and used that to make chili.  Heck, that might be on a good day.  I bet rabbit and all kinds of stuff ended up in the pot from time to time.  I imagine if they came across a full sized Texas chicken, weight 60 lbs or so, they would have used that.

And as long as you make Texas Red, with spices, meat and tomatos, I am okay with chicken as the protein.

What I am not okay with is some off white slop containing chick peas and beans and pasta and chicken being passed off as chili.

I like corn in chili.

• Envious 1

My last assignment as an MP was at a remote airfield we protected. The place was crawling with deer and other wildlife.      So we had an agreement with the firemen, if we came upon fresh road kill to bring it in and they would dress it out cook it up and share with us.

Well they got their "roadkill" alright... Huh. All I see is a bullet hole, where'd it get hit?  You really want to know? Nope, come back in a couple of hours for dinner!  Copy that!

One of the dishes they made us was venison chili, damn tasty!

• Heart 2

I like the sound of your chili recipe. Please send me a bowl so I can judge it for you.

So the question is what makes it chili? The protein, the beans or lack of, the spices? 

I've had good chicken, beef, elk, and vegetarian chili. I prefer mine without beans, but I do like Cincinnati or chili three ways. Is that stuff legit chili?

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My last assignment as an MP was at a remote airfield we protected. The place was crawling with deer and other wildlife.      So we had an agreement with the firemen, if we came upon fresh road kill to bring it in and they would dress it out cook it up and share with us.

Well they got their "roadkill" alright... Huh. All I see is a bullet hole, where'd it get hit?  You really want to know? Nope, come back in a couple of hours for dinner!  Copy that!

Maybe they put jousting lances on their jeep and hit the deer. It just looked like a bullet hole.

• Heart 1

Just now, dennis said:

I like the sound of your chili recipe. Please send me a bowl so I can judge it for you.

So the question is what makes it chili? The protein, the beans or lack of, the spices? 

I've had good chicken, beef, elk, and vegetarian chili. I prefer mine without beans, but I do like Cincinnati or chili three ways. Is that stuff legit chili?

To me, chili is Texas Red.  Meat (usually beef as it was supposed to have been invented on cattle drives) peppers, onions, and spices.    I think the reason it would not have beans is logistics.  Beans need to be soaked for a long time and then cooked for a long time.  I am not sure they would have hours to do this on a cattle drive, I could be wrong.  

Dried spices would be easy to carry and mix with meat and water to make chili.

Others have their idea of chili.  This is mine.

I also think that old time cowboys would laugh at all the steps that are taken to make chili.

Mine is simple.  cook the meat, add the spices and liquids and let it cook for an hour or so.

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

the enemy has been known to use local wildlife to infiltrate bases.  You did the right thing by shooting that infiltrator.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, dennis said:

Maybe they put jousting lances on their jeep and hit the deer. It just looked like a bullet hole.

Or take down lights & alibi rounds.... Hit em with that light, they freeze and bam.  FYI a 45 will drop a deer at about 20 yards no problem.

Not that I would know.... ?

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

To me, chili is Texas Red.  Meat (usually beef as it was supposed to have been invented on cattle drives) peppers, onions, and spices.    I think the reason it would not have beans is logistics.  Beans need to be soaked for a long time and then cooked for a long time.  I am not sure they would have hours to do this on a cattle drive, I could be wrong.  

Dried spices would be easy to carry and mix with meat and water to make chili.

Others have their idea of chili.  This is mine.

I also think that old time cowboys would laugh at all the steps that are taken to make chili.

Mine is simple.  cook the meat, add the spices and liquids and let it cook for an hour or so.

Do you prefer ground beef or another cut that you cube?

Just now, dennis said:

Do you prefer ground beef or another cut that you cube?

I like a very coarse grind or cubed.  Most good butchers will have a chili grind plate for their grinder.    The other ting I have found is to not brown the meat.  Grey it at best, as it will finish in the pot as you simmer in the spices and broth, etc.

1 minute ago, dennis said:

what cut? I am liking the sound of this.

Well I'm no chili expert and usually use ground turkey due to time & effort  but have used cubed beef.  I get a lean cut like a top round and cube it myself.  Small chunks like Jsharr said. Brown it and the low & slow.

6 minutes ago, dennis said:

what cut? I am liking the sound of this.

chuck or brisket or round.  Does not have to be the best or most expensive cut, as it will tenderize as you cook low and slow and it will be covered in spices, etc.   If you cut it yourself, you can trim out the fat.  If you use ground, you will have some fat on top of your chili to strain off, or not.

31 minutes ago, jsharr said:

chuck or brisket or round.  Does not have to be the best or most expensive cut, as it will tenderize as you cook low and slow and it will be covered in spices, etc.   If you cut it yourself, you can trim out the fat.  If you use ground, you will have some fat on top of your chili to strain off, or not.

Or eliminate that fat issue by using chicken boob and throw in some pinto beans - the kind they used on cattle drives.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Wtf is masa?

I like actual corn in chili, gives it a nice color and flavor.

Masa is like corn starch.  Finely ground, white, like flour.  Used to make dough for corn tortillas.  If mixed with water to form a paste, can be used to thicken dishes, like chili.  Gives it a nice color, texture and flavor.  

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Masa is like corn starch.  Finely ground, white, like flour.  Used to make dough for corn tortillas.  If mixed with water to form a paste, can be used to thicken dishes, like chili.  Gives it a nice color, texture and flavor.  

I made ghetto chili for lunch because of you.  Canned chicken boob, old brats, can of those big beans, the last of the corn (about one cup), tomato paste, half an onion, some nearly dead chicken stock, and some crackers that RO won't eat for some reason.

It was tasty good.

55 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I made ghetto chili for lunch because of you.  Canned chicken boob, old brats, can of those big beans, the last of the corn (about one cup), tomato paste, half an onion, some nearly dead chicken stock, and some crackers that RO won't eat for some reason.

It was tasty good.

yay.  Anyone other than you would get chastized for this foolishness, but you I applaud.  Well done.  

Just now, Randomguy said:

It is what I had, and it was cheap for the number of meals I will get out of it.  Plus, I didn't want to waste some things, so there is that.

Ed Zachary.  You made chili.  I am good with this.  You should have a chili cook off.  Yours should win. 

On 1/17/2019 at 11:20 AM, Kzoo said:

Enjoy your chili.

Chili's definition varies.  I guess, having had it since a child, I like Chili with ground beef and beans as do many in Central Maryland.  In other parts of the country that's as much a sacrilege as boiling crabs instead of steaming them would be to us.

Venison Chili sounds good.  I've got a few pounds of deer steak in my freezer from the buck my brother got last month.  Venison has 1/5 the fat of typical beef and I wondered if that meant any radical change to recipes.  Checking of pot roast, chili, etc. recipes doesn't seem to call for adding more oil or fat though a lot seem to add beef broth.

If I was making chili from it I might consider some extra fat from something like olive oil or bacon.  I did find one recipe where they used most of a pound of bacon and 2 lbs of deer meat: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18802/venison-chili/

The reviews are very good (4.5 out of 5 stars avg. of 117 reviews), but with only 1/2 tsp of chili powder (more like 2 tbsp usually called for) and much in herbs, it's said not to taste like traditional chili.  If I make chili with some of it, I'll probably use one of my more tried-and-true recipes, maybe adding some bacon to it.