Would you be a little annoyed? (gay edition)

Randomguy

So RO's mom was sick and asked me to again take RO for a couple hours today, which then turned into much of the day.  Fine, I am happy to have RO.  I picked her up, and she is wearing a "Brooklyn Pride Family" t-shirt, complete with the rainbow.  Yippee.

Those of you who know me well know that I am socially very liberal, I don't believe we have any reason to deny people the right to bang each other into oblivion, whether it is two dudes or two chicks, whatever.  You wanna get married?  Have at it, it doesn't affect me or anyone else in any way.   That said, that is a bit different than being a walking billboard, and a child should not be roped into social justice warrioring for any purpose, I feel.

The shirt she was wearing was black and is kinda similar to this, but without the purple text and such and it said "Brooklyn Pride Family" or somesuch

Screen-Shot-2018-06-01-at-4.55.27-PM.png

I didn't say anything about, but I might ask that she not be dressed in it again when I have her in the future, not sure.

Am I wrong to be a bit put off by this?  Again, I don't think kids should be used to express parent's views on social issues.  Also, I really don't have a dog in this fight, and don't have any nearby friends or family who need constant support and validation of what is biological gene expression.

Discus.

• Heart 2

...there has been an ongoing kerfuffle over at the other bicycle forum that must not be named here in teh P+R.  I think you would have enjoyed watching it develop...I certainly did.  AS it stands now, @onbike1939 , @maddmaxx , and I are all homophobic bigots who are out to trample on the rights of oppressed gays to order a wedding cake in all 50 states and Puerto Rico.  And there are a lot of gays in Puerto Rico.:whistle:

It appears to be because we are all old, but it might also have something to do with being (and I quote) "mean spirited".

So two things...

1. RO probably doesn't give a rat's ass what it says on her t-shirt, and neither should we.

2. There is a whole lot of anger parading round right now, masquerading as supporting for civil rights.  As someone who has, at times, gone to various demonstrations in support of civil rights, and who has attended more than one gay pride day parade, I think it probably does more harm than good to the cause.  But I am old and mean spirited, so don't listen to me.:)

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, late said:

Ask why.

I know why, it is because RO's mom works in the arts and they are all about whatever is injustice of the day.  It is not really a bold stance in NYC or anything, this would have been a cause here 40 years ago, maybe.  It is NYC.  People have been gay here forever.

37 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

So RO's mom was sick and asked me to again take RO for a couple hours today, which then turned into much of the day.  Fine, I am happy to have RO.  I picked her up, and she is wearing a "Brooklyn Pride Family" t-shirt, complete with the rainbow.  Yippee.

Those of you who know me well know that I am socially very liberal, I don't believe we have any reason to deny people the right to bang each other into oblivion, whether it is two dudes or two chicks, whatever.  You wanna get married?  Have at it, it doesn't affect me or anyone else in any way.   That said, that is a bit different than being a walking billboard, and a child should not be roped into social justice warrioring for any purpose, I feel.

The shirt she was wearing was black and is kinda similar to this, but without the purple text and such and it said "Brooklyn Pride Family" or somesuch

Screen-Shot-2018-06-01-at-4.55.27-PM.png

I didn't say anything about, but I might ask that she not be dressed in it again when I have her in the future, not sure.

Am I wrong to be a bit put off by this?  Again, I don't think kids should be used to express parent's views on social issues.  Also, I really don't have a dog in this fight, and don't have any nearby friends or family who need constant support and validation of what is biological gene expression.

Discus.

Yep. You have my support.

21 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

So two things...

1. RO probably doesn't give a rat's ass what it says on her t-shirt, and neither should we.

2. There is a whole lot of anger parading round right now, masquerading as supporting for civil rights.  As someone who has, at times, gone to various demonstrations in support of civil rights, and who has attended more than one gay pride day parade, I think it probably does more harm than good to the cause.  But I am old and mean spirited, so don't listen to me.:)

She certainly does not care what it says on her shirt, not at all.

A long time ago in lands far, far away, people were fearful of their different biological drives.  Then those people inched their way into acceptance, and then into the mainstream on the coasts, which then became largely mainstream acceptance country wide, and even mainstream tolerance in the backward places.   Then some began to foment anger once the battle was assuredly won years before, not sure why.  Nobody likes when a dead horse is being beaten.

I don't know that you necessarily have to make it a celebration about who you like to bang.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

25 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

She certainly does not care what it says on her shirt, not at all.

...I think this is one way you get yourself into trouble.  What is gained, and what are the potential downsides over mentioning it ?  Honestly, I don't see where you have much to gain, and it does all the stuff a shirt needs to do.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I agree with Kirby. I would not buy her the shirt but as long as it is clean I would not fret over it. There are plenty of bigger deals when it comes to the quarrelsome x. 

This isn't THE quarrelsome ex, but it is like she went to her school or something.  She has been much nicer of late, though, and this makes me wonder why she is being that way.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Airehead said:

There are plenty of bigger deals when it comes to the quarrelsome x. 

...this is not the quarrelsome ex, IIRC.  This is the slightly over the top artsy/sensitive one, who tends to catastrophize, especially over matters o child health and decorum, I think. It's hard to remember and keep them straight, but I think I have that right. Might also be some hypochondriacal neurotic features involved, too.

I try to avoid commenting on it much, because I'm trying to encourage @Randomguy to put a little more distance between himself and what is allways going to be a problematic influence in his life.  Without much success, I might add. :( 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

This time of year RO should be in all cotton, linen, or seersucker preferably from Land's End. 

...seersucker is so last year.  It will probably come back eventually, but for now just keep it on the plantation there, Sparky.

• Heart 2
  • Whatever 1

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...this is not the quarrelsome ex, IIRC.  This is the slightly over the top artsy/sensitive one, who tends to catastrophize, especially over matters o child health and decorum, I think. It's hard to remember and keep them straight, but I think I have that right. Might also be some hypochondriacal neurotic features involved, too.

I try to avoid commenting on it much, because I'm trying to encourage @Randomguy to put a little more distance between himself and what is allways going to be a problematic influence in his life.  Without much success, I might add. :( 

You have been paying attention!  I could tell you stories... 

I have found distance to be helpful.  I am hoping there has been a sliver of an awaking in her that it would be better to have a civil relationship than adversarial one constantly.  Or maybe she is dating someone and that has mellowed her out a bit.  Either way, civility is much better than fightiness.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

This time of year RO should be in all cotton, linen, or seersucker preferably from Land's End. 

And not black t-shirts.  I was told early on in life that black absorbs the light and consequently makes you hotter than a lightly-colored shirt would, and told RO this.   Then I realized I had heard this when I was not so much in a quest for knowledge phase, is there any truth to that?

13 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

And not black t-shirts.  I was told early on in life that black absorbs the light and consequently makes you hotter than a lightly-colored shirt would, and told RO this.   Then I realized I had heard this when I was not so much in a quest for knowledge phase, is there any truth to that?

...yes, it does work that way a little bit.  The real downside of darker t shirts is that they seem to be mosquito magnets...at least they are for me.

Next time bring RO home with a Jesus Cross necklace or some sorts religious shirt or something.  After Ex Wahman throws a cast iron pan at your head, 'splain to baby mama that your child should not be a billboard.  Passive aggressive Jesus stuff works.  

Then buy RO a Mets t-shirt.  Fuck the Yankees. 

Shu Fang 

• Heart 2

12 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...yes, it does work that way a little bit.  The real downside of darker t shirts is that they seem to be mosquito magnets...at least they are for me.

But the rule in NYC is black is the only acceptable"colour", but I think kids might have an exemption, but not really sure aboot that. 

10 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

But the rule in NYC is black is the only acceptable"colour", but I think kids might have an exemption, but not really sure aboot that. 

Actusally, most folks will do anything to avoid wearing black here.  I will occasionally wear a black t-shirt (plain), but like colors.  Most people like colors here, too, and would even wear white more often if the city weren't so damn filthy.  You gotta sit on the subway, and white will show the feces, semen, vomit, etc. that you pick up by sitting in the subway seat.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

, but like colors.  Most people like colors here, too, and would even wear white more often if the city weren't so damn filth

Of her signature style, all big hair and tiny outfits and high, high heels, Charo said, “When I was born, every single thing that had color, I put it on top of me.” She knew from a young age that she enjoyed being beautiful, adorning herself. “One time I found a condom of my father’s, and I put it in my hair,” she said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/22/style/charo-cuchi-cuchi.html