So do you think Neil exaggerated how good the Aztecs/Mayans or whatever had it in Cortez the Killer?

Ralphie

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

On a Harley it's called fringe.  I'd love to see the one toothed bikers reaction to you when you asked him where he got the streamers.

I really need to ask him if I can get a picture of his bike.  I'd like to get a picture of him -- but I can't afford the chance he may take it the wrong way.

20 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I really need to ask him if I can get a picture of his bike.  I'd like to get a picture of him -- but I can't afford the chance he may take it the wrong way.

"Hey Dude, love your bike.  Can I snap a pic of it?  Thanks. click Hey. Can I get one with you on it?  My cousin has a Harley and would love to see it."

Don't be a dolt.  Just ask the guy - unless he's packing and then have a friend ask for you.

A great read about Cortes's Conquistadors is The History of the Conquest of New Spain by Bernal Diaz del Castillo.

Diaz was one of the top officers in the Conquistadors and became Governor of the one of the Spanish Provinces in Central America. He says he wrote this history to correct the exaggerations of other histories about the conquest of Mexico, mostly written by people not there.

His writing style isn't great, but he covers things you never see in other books of war, like what do the soldiers do when they have to go relieve themselves during battle? Diaz discusses the small points of battle like shitting their pants and the need for many native women to clean their clothes afterward!

He also says things like he doesn't intend to be bragging, but when else in history did an army of 300 men march into a hostile city of 250,000 and boldly take it over - as Cortes and his men did with Tenochtitlan (modern Mexico City)?

The fact that the Y-Chromosomes of Mexicans today are mostly of Spanish origin says that the peoples of the areas controlled by the Aztecs were NOT better off after Cortez took over - the native men were clearly pushed to the side and the women used as slaves to a large degree.

image.png.b3b1f429b836e622e0d02696c609b54e.png