Airfare is cheap right now

Allen

Yeah a guy on another forum I am on was bragging about cancelling all of his spring break plans and then rebooking them and how much money it was saving him.

Good for him, but not a risk I'd be willing to take.

6 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Three days ago i was talking to a guy who was planning a trip to Italy.  I suggested to him, he probably should consider another destination.   I guess he wasn't following the news.

A guy I work with has a June cruise & trip to Italy planned.  He’s all sorts of confused on what to do right now.  He figures it will be over by then but doesn’t want to risk it.  

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

A guy I work with has a June cruise & trip to Italy planned.  He’s all sorts of confused on what to do right now.  He figures it will be over by then but doesn’t want to risk it.  

I told the guy I was talking to, this would be the time I would consider travel insurance or refundable tickets, which ever is cheaper.   That normally wouldn't be on my check list for a trip, but I'd consider it now.

Still looking at $3500 JFK to Shenzhen.  I wonder if they are charging hazardous duty pay.

You can get there for $500 but that trip is BDL to Toronto to Vancouver to Tokyo, across Tokyo by train to other airport, Tokyo to Shenzhen.  53 hours and an almost guarantee of being exposed to virus.

54 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I told the guy I was talking to, this would be the time I would consider travel insurance or refundable tickets, which ever is cheaper.   That normally wouldn't be on my check list for a trip, but I'd consider it now.

I heard this morning on the weather channel that travel insurance doesn't cover epidemics or epidemic precautions.  Not sure how true that is.

13 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I heard this morning on the weather channel that travel insurance doesn't cover epidemics or epidemic precautions.  Not sure how true that is.

It depends. Mostly not. Airlines are changing policies and some are offering no fee changes.

There are cancel for any reason policies. Most policies do not offer a ticket refund because you change your mind or your plans change.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2410034/coronavirus-travel-insurance

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Yeah a guy on another forum I am on was bragging about cancelling all of his spring break plans and then rebooking them and how much money it was saving him.

Good for him, but not a risk I'd be willing to take.

It is still too early for that.  Mrs. Silly and I were planning a trip to Montreal this June.  She was talking about canceling but I think it is worth waiting a little more before staying home.  I am thinking that we could make the go/no-go decision in mid May.

15 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

For bike reasons and my wife and I want to go back to McCall. At least go finish the Greenbelt. And Idaho seems safer. Glad you found proof of that. But it won't be insulated for long.

Actually Idaho is one of the 6 states WoBG and I need to visit from out bucket list to visit all 50 states.   I'm thinking, next year may be the time for that trip.  The trip would be to Idaho, Montana, and North Dakota. (3 states on the list)  Lots of places we would visit for hiking.  

I'm still working on convincing my wife to visit Mississippi and Louisianan and  then take the the long way home thru Georgia, this summer.