Coming to you from Lanzagrotty

Caretaker

Just now, Kirby said:

Is this a quiet relaxing by the beach sort of a place or a festive party by the beach sort of place?

It's what you make it. Popular with roadies for Winter training, the fish ' n chips brigade and promenade pedals like myself.

• Heart 4

39 minutes ago, Caretaker said:

Bulletin number one;

Rented a bike €5/day and went cycling along the coastal bike path. Lovely weather. Liberation day, allowed wander on my own. :)

Sorry no photos till I get home.

Now this is admirable as £5 is so little to pay for a whole day free from ones wife.

I have considered a short break in Lanzarote myself but the idea of being a member of the vulgar masses eating English breakfasts and shouting "Get them out" to Flamenco dancers rather put me off.

Bulletin number two;

We both hired dutch-style city bikes today and cycled along the 'strip' till we came to a marina/fishing port. Had a Canarian fish lunch, visited the local church and started back. 

Bought a couple of bottles of wine and fixed ourselves a salad dinner.

Amazing amount of Oirish pubs here, at least every second one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here goes with the 'trip report'.

Lanzarote for those who don't know is one of the Spanish Canary Islands about 90 miles off the coast of Morocco near the Azores. We've been to two of the other main islands Gran Canarias and Tenerife and this was our second time this year in Lanzarote having visited in April when we stayed in a different resort.

The apartment we were in for the last two weeks was situated in Matagorda which is beside the airport and just about a kilometre from the main island resort area of Porto del Carmen.

The island is dotted with extinct volcanoes and the soil is black and the hills are pocked with caves formed by the melting lava which the famous island architect and artist Cesar Manrique used to incorporate into his buildings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/César_Manrique

2016-04-22 10.30.44.jpg

This is Manriques sculpture, a homage to fertility and the peasant worker that we saw on a tour in April.

This time on Lanzarote we had a very restful holiday and only went on one short bus tour to Playa Blanca on the other side of the island the highlight of which was coming across this group of French tourists who seem to be trying to give meaning to their sun holiday by dressing up as ancient Greek philosophers and parading round attracting attention. 

IMG_1121.JPG

Here they are admiring their leaders.

IMG_1119.JPG

Their leaders posing.

IMG_1120.JPG

More posing and uttering the cry of 'Playa, Playa'.

IMG_1122.JPG

At a command from their leaders the group all shout Playa, Playa and do this pose thing..........scary.

The rest of the fortnight was pretty uneventful. We cycled together along the coast a couple of days but the rest of the time my wife shopped or sunned and I went for cycles or long walks.

IMG_1139.JPG

We cycled to the capital Arrecife and visited an exhibition on postcards of the island down through the years where I took this photo of a postman's bike.

IMG_1137.JPG

The rest of the time we spent eating nice meals and drinking lots of wine and beer.

MVI_1142.mp4

When you couldn't think of anything else to do you could always go the short distance along the promenade and watch the planes landing or taking off over your head loaded with tourists.

• Heart 3