Corona and College Football

Razors Edge

Seems like this college football season is pretty darn insane!  Teams slowly starting to play, teams brought low by coaches and players being sidelined.  Fewer "home field" advantages.  I haven't looked to hard at the playoff requirements, but it seems like that may have to be tweaked to take into account skipped games?

Is this just what perennial losers like Texas A&M and Michigan State needed?

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Seems like this college football season is pretty darn insane!  Teams slowly starting to play, teams brought low by coaches and players being sidelined.  Fewer "home field" advantages.  I haven't looked to hard at the playoff requirements, but it seems like that may have to be tweaked to take into account skipped games?

Troll

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

effin troll

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I was reading that the PAC 12 opener next week, USC vs AZ St game is 9 AM Pacific!  Do college kids even wake up by 9 AM?

My first year in grad school at IIT, I had a 9 am Saturday 3-hour class in Thermodynamics - the HARDEST physical chemistry course!

Carnot Cycles, Three Laws of Thermo, Closed and Open Systems - all with multivariable calculus and where "Q" is the symbol for heat and "H" is the symbol for enthalpy (not to be mixed-up with entropy, "S") - weirdly assigned symbols just to confuse you!  All while hungover on Saturday at 9 am!

They say that after the first course in Thermo you understand nothing.  After the 2nd course in Thermo you understand a little.  After the 3rd course in Thermo you realize you had it right the first time and understand nothing. 

I got whacked with that 600-level course for 3 hours every Saturday.  Once, the Professor couldn't figure out the probability for something and said if anyone could figure it out and put the work under his office door by 9 am Monday, those people would get a 10 point (10%) bonus on the next test.  We were almost all scholarship grad students who needed a 3.0 GPA to keep our scholarships and all struggling in thermo, so there went the weekend for all of us.

I worked on the calculation all day Saturday, through the night, caught a little sleep, worked all day Sunday and figured it out around 5 am Monday.  Luckily, I had keys to the chemistry building (I had a teaching assistantship and also did research) and slid my work under Professor Brown's door.  I then went to sleep, skipping breakfast and showing up late at my first class of the day around 11 am.

THAT was the way you got through IIT grad school in the '70's!

• Heart 2

22 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

My first year in grad school at IIT, I had a 9 am Saturday 3-hour class in Thermodynamics - the HARDEST physical chemistry course!

Carnot Cycles, Three Laws of Thermo, Closed and Open Systems - all with multivariable calculus and where "Q" is the symbol for heat and "H" is the symbol for enthalpy (not to be mixed-up with entropy, "S") - weirdly assigned symbols just to confuse you!  All while hungover on Saturday at 9 am!

They say that after the first course in Thermo you understand nothing.  After the 2nd course in Thermo you understand a little.  After the 3rd course in Thermo you realize you had it right the first time and understand nothing. 

I got whacked with that 600-level course for 3 hours every Saturday.  Once, the Professor couldn't figure out the probability for something and said if anyone could figure it out and put the work under his office door by 9 am Monday, those people would get a 10 point (10%) bonus on the next test.  We were almost all scholarship grad students who needed a 3.0 GPA to keep our scholarships and all struggling in thermo, so there went the weekend for all of us.

I worked on the calculation all day Saturday, through the night, caught a little sleep, worked all day Sunday and figured it out around 5 am Monday.  Luckily, I had keys to the chemistry building (I had a teaching assistantship and also did research) and slid my work under Professor Brown's door.  I then went to sleep, skipping breakfast and showing up late at my first class of the day around 11 am.

I’m pretty sure none of the USC football team is taking that class! 😂

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’m pretty sure none of the USC football team is taking that class! 😂

It does seem like every team has "that guy" who is in grad school and on the academic as well as athletic honor roll.  They like to show that during the conference championship game - who made the "list".  Sometimes its wacky majors - like a masters is sports administration - but sometimes it is legit "career beyond sports" sorts of degree.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It does seem like every team has "that guy" who is in grad school and on the academic as well as athletic honor roll.  They like to show that during the conference championship game - who made the "list".  Sometimes its wacky majors - like a masters is sports administration - but sometimes it is legit "career beyond sports" sorts of degree.

And sometimes it is made up.  I knew the center when I was at A&M, he went on to play for the Saints.  Great guy but not a Rhodes scholar by any stretch of the imagination.  At one of the A&M bowl games he was listed as some sort of academic standout, with a degree in something like Areonautical engineering.    At the bar the next week we ran into each other and had a good laugh about that.  He said it was a prank by one of the guys on the team.  Maybe he really was a genius and just faking it? 

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I changed my major because of an 8 or 9 am Saturday morning class. There was no way I was making it. Then changed Universities because my new major no longer aligned with my original University choice. It’s made all the difference in my life, actually. For the better, even.

I had a couple of Sat early classes.  I was a working student paying his own tuition (well the Army helped).  I took Saturday classes, night classes, basically if I needed the course I jumped on it.  It seemed every semester I had one 24-hour period where I couldn’t sleep. It was usually late classes followed by overnight shift followed by early classes...

10 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I thought sure you would have banded together as a group & solved it. You'd be done by Saturday afternoon. Fast enough you could go drinking Saturday night, sober up on Sunday then go out again on Sunday night