Poor Space Force

12string

1 minute ago, 12string said:

Veteran's day is about Vets, not all service members.  Meaning only Service men and women who have been deployed.  So the Space Force has to sit this one out.

I think I get what you are saying but you can be a Vet and not deploy. Veterans are just those who had served, you could have spent your entire enlistment stateside and still be a vet.

But the Space Force is so new they may not have any veterans yet.

• Heart 1

Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations defines a veteran as “a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.” 

Not to be confused with veteran of a specific war or theater of war.  There are separate VA classifications for veterans of war.

Happy Veteran's Day to all those that sacrificed. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think I get what you are saying but you can be a Vet and not deploy. Veterans are just those who had served, you could have spent your entire enlistment stateside and still be a vet.

True. In the past you had to be deployed to a war zone to be a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (AKA VFW). You could be a member of the American Legion if you served in the military. However almost anyone who was in the military can be considered a veteran.

In 1972 I joined the US Air Force along with a guy that I went to high school with. We were on the 'buddy system' even though I didn't ever hang out with the guy. Less than a week into basic training he freaked out and told the TI that he was gay and had taken hard drugs. That would get you kicked out ASAP (but still available for the draft). He died a couple of years ago and his obit said that he served in the military. Didn't mention that he was kicked out after only about 2 weeks.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

True. In the past you had to be deployed to a war zone to be a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (AKA VFW). You could be a member of the American Legion if you served in the military. However almost anyone who was in the military can be considered a veteran.

In 1972 I joined the US Air Force along with a guy that I went to high school with. We were on the 'buddy system' even though I didn't ever hang out with the guy. Less than a week into basic training he freaked out and told the TI that he was gay and had taken hard drugs. That would get you kicked out ASAP (but still available for the draft). He died a couple of years ago and his obit said that he served in the military. Didn't mention that he was kicked out after only about 2 weeks.

I had a couple friends that enlisted in 73 in the buddy system.  They enlisted in the Navy to do something with subs.  After basic one failed to qualify based on a psych eval for sub duty.  One guy got sub duty the other destroyer duty.

35 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Obits are not required to speak truth about the dead.

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Wow... Yeah well I don’t know if I would have out that on my obit but his family may not have known...

I have a BIL who always says he is a “Vietnam era vet”. He was an air winger in the Corps during the war but went to Okinawa & then El Toro and then stayed in SoCal where he met my sister. My brother and another BIL who were actual Vietnam vets always gave him crap on that.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

You know what I miss, the service rivalry in my family.  All of my blood relatives and one BIL are Army vets and several of my BIL’s are Marine Vets. The trash talk during family gatherings was epic.

Did the army guys have a hard time using single syllable words for the Marines?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Did the army guys have a hard time using single syllable words for the Marines?

I also remember the marine BIL’s would immediately STFU if my dad shot them a look.  He was a hard dude and not a friendly sort. If they started shit talking the Army to my brother he’d just look at them and they’d stop.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

A friend in college had a father born in Germany and who fought in the German Army in WW2.

He emigrated to Chicago and, one day, saw a sign above a door that read, "Veterans of Foreign Wars."

So he went inside and tried to join!

True story according to the friend!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1