No celebration of life for dearie--> try different way

shootingstar

I hope you are successful. I have celebrated his life each time I think of how much he cared about you and how much he did in the community. It seems a good way to honor him without getting bogged in the family drama. Let us know when it is published. 

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

15 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I hope you are successful. I have celebrated his life each time I think of how much he cared about you and how much he did in the community. It seems a good way to honor him without getting bogged in the family drama. Let us know when it is published. 

Opening line has abit of drama...which e-newspapers LOVE.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I'm celebrating in a different way

Do your thing the way you and he would have wanted it.  It was your relationship and life with each other, so it can be a celebration/party/memorial/trip/whatever of what would have been special for your times together and the memories you shared.

My father died but our "memorial" service was a few months later once we got the remains from the cremation and the burial plot sorted out and were able to coordinate with extended family.  There is no short time-line required, but giving a few months to get stuff together helped a bunch - and it was no less special (and still tough).

For my FiL, he died in Dec, and we had the church memorial service first week of April.  His church is negotiating a new plot of land for a cemetery, so the family is holding onto his and their mother's ashes until the church opens the new spaces.  They may temporarily house the remains at a different place, but that depends on the timeline. 

IOW, things move along at their own pace, and you can and should do what works best for you to memorialize him and to get through you own grief.  The profile story sounds nice regardless of whether it gets published nationally, regionally, or locally. 

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Do your thing the way you and he would have wanted it.  It was your relationship and life with each other, so it can be a celebration/party/memorial/trip/whatever of what would have been special for your times together and the memories you shared.

My father died but our "memorial" service was a few months later once we got the remains from the cremation and the burial plot sorted out and were able to coordinate with extended family.  There is no short time-line required, but giving a few months to get stuff together helped a bunch - and it was no less special (and still tough).

For my FiL, he died in Dec, and we had the church memorial service first week of April.  His church is negotiating a new plot of land for a cemetery, so the family is holding onto his and their mother's ashes until the church opens the new spaces.  They may temporarily house the remains at a different place, but that depends on the timeline. 

IOW, things move along at their own pace, and you can and should do what works best for you to memorialize him and to get through you own grief.  The profile story sounds nice regardless of whether it gets published nationally, regionally, or locally. 

For each my sister, my father who died in different years, the funeral, burial was done within 3-4 wks. after death.  I've been to other funerals where it was 2-5 wks. after death.

So admittedly I'm not familiar with long stretched out timeframes between death and memorial/celebration of life ceremony. Thx for this, Razor.  (It doesn't solve other communication problems I'm having).

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Before my brother slipped into a coma he asked me to do what we could to get him buried in Arlington Cemetery.  Being a Vietnam Vet he was eligible but  he never spoke of his service and really wasn’t a model soldier getting reduced in rank and separating as a private E-2 due to a NJP just prior to discharge.

As nobody knew his wishes, not sure he did either until faced with his own mortality, it took over a year to get the documents squared away & him accepted for burial. But we got him in Arlington. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

39 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

For each my sister, my father who died in different years, the funeral, burial was done within 3-4 wks. after death.  I've been to other funerals where it was 2-5 wks. after death.

So admittedly I'm not familiar with long stretched out timeframes between death and memorial/celebration of life ceremony. Thx for this, Razor.  (It doesn't solve other communication problems I'm having).

Cremation certainly gives families space and time for decisions.  It would have been different if we had to worry about a "true" burial.

My son flew in when his wife saw me post on Facebook that I though  my wife was reaching the end. His wife drove the family up from Georgia. They stayed with me until after the memorial service. I was thinking having it in a couple months but I wanted my house back so we had the memorial three weeks after she passed.

• Heart 2