Chili season

Parsnip Totin Jack

1 hour ago, Old No. 7 said:

Is there such a thing? My understanding is that when you pull out the whites on Memorial Day; that signifies the end of chili season. Labor Day weekend is the beginning of chili season. Is this a real thing or just old wives talk? Discus.

With the invention of the light bulb, and then refrigeration, that sort of nonsense went away!

• Awesome 1

Eat chili whenever you want, seasons be damned.

I could never wrap my head around those seasonal rules and really only experienced them in the south.  Sweat tea is served in some seasons, coffee in other. White pants, dark pants… You couldn’t wear seersucker suits after Labor Day too right?    I remember going to a corporate function in Memphis and needing white pants for a group photo.  White dress pants are freaking hard to find in CA. Seersucker suits, yeah right…

Although not as rigid my wife grew up with similar seasonal rules. The one that threw me was pool season.  I never grew up with a pool season, nor a pool. We surfed year round…

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Although not as rigid my wife grew up with similar seasonal rules. The one that threw me was pool season.  I never grew up with a pool season, nor a pool. We surfed year round…

We used to beg my dad to get a pool heater.  He refused :angry:  But damned if he didn't love "opening" the pool in late April (water temp was COLD).  We'd be allowed to swim if we wanted - but other than a polar plunge, the pool was unused into May.

My uncle, when he put in his pool, though, added a hot tub that could cascade into the main pool and heat it that way.  The hot tub got use year round, but the pool still was relatively unloved until maybe April or so.

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We used to beg my dad to get a pool heater.  He refused :angry:  But damned if he didn't love "opening" the pool in late April (water temp was COLD).  We'd be allowed to swim if we wanted - but other than a polar plunge, the pool was unused into May.

My uncle, when he put in his pool, though, added a hot tub that could cascade into the main pool and heat it that way.  The hot tub got use year round, but the pool still was relatively unloved until maybe April or so.

I remember going to VA over spring break one year.  We had an unusually warm winter and were in the pool daily from Feb to that point.  The kids showed up all tan, my wife with sandal marks & MIL was totally confused… What are you talking about, the pools aren’t open???  Yeah we don’t have lame pool seasons…

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah we don’t have lame pool seasons…

Public pools and community pools around here open on Memorial Labor Day for "regular hours" and my open for weekend hours in the weeks leading up to it.  They then close on Labor Memorial Day but may run weekend hours for a while after.

We were up in PA where it was even colder!  One solution was indoor pools. More indoor pools up there, I think.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Public pools and community pools around here open on Labor Day for "regular hours" and my open for weekend hours in the weeks leading up to it.  They then close on Memorial Day but may run weekend hours for a while after.

We were up in PA where it was even colder!  One solution was indoor pools. More indoor pools up there, I think.

I’m sure there are some at gyms but I have never been in an indoor pool in SoCal. Only back East and in NorCal (Lake Tahoe in winter)

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Public pools and community pools around here open on Labor Day for "regular hours" and my open for weekend hours in the weeks leading up to it.  They then close on Memorial Day but may run weekend hours for a while after.

Uhh, you got your holidays all mixed up. Memorial Day is in May, Labor Day is September.

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I didn’t even catch it… the fact the pools close at all is just lame in my book!

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of winter? It gets cold and most people don’t swim in the cold. Pool use drops in the winter. To save money, they close the pools during the colder months.

30 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of winter? It gets cold and most people don’t swim in the cold. Pool use drops in the winter. To save money, they close the pools during the colder months.

I am in fact familiar with the concept of winter in the context of winter is rarely if ever so cold we couldn’t swim.

I had never seen snow until being stationed in VA… 

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Is there such a thing? My understanding is that when you pull out the whites on Memorial Day; that signifies the end of chili season. Labor Day weekend is the beginning of chili season. Is this a real thing or just old wives talk? Discus.

This is correct.  The off season for chili is the in season for tomatoes caprese. 

• Heart 2

On 8/17/2021 at 11:01 AM, Old No. 7 said:

I like chili at any time - it's the reason I most often go to Wendy's on the rare occasions I get fast-food.