Cranberry sauce

Further

59 minutes ago, Further said:

I love cranberry sauce, the stuff in the can or homemade. We make it every year, with varying results, I don't seem to be capable of doing the same thing twice.

Anyhow, this years is the best I've ever made. I would like to try it as a pie filling. Maybe add some chopped walnuts, but my wife can't eat walnuts.

A bag of cranberries in a sauce pan

enough water to cover them

an orange, scrape the zest off, chop up the good stuff and toss in with the cranberries

a bit of cinnamon

a bit of nutmeg

a touch of cayenne

sugar to taste

bring to boil, turn down to simmer and keep stirring and mushing the berries till it gets as thick as you want

taste while reducing, the sugar and spices can be adjusted 

And that's why buying it in a can is soooo much easier for people like me.  Our big choice is jellied or whole cranberry sauce in the can.

Just now, Bikeguy said:

And that's why buying it in a can is soooo much easier for people like me.  Our big choice is jellied or whole cranberry sauce in the can.

But when you get it right.....it's like your mouth has an orgasm.....

and there is anticipation...and nervousness...

it's fun

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Further said:

Nobody has a cranberry sauce recipe ?

Or are ya'all keeping secrets ?

...I make it the same way my mom did, but I have the advantage of using oranges right off the tree.

Today I picked three ripe Satsuma mandarins off the tree, quartered and seeded them (leaving the skins on). put them in a food processer with one 12 ounce bag of fresh cranberries, added a little less than half a cup of sugar, and  blipped the blade a few times, so everything got chopped up, but not too finely. You don't want it pureed, just evenly chopped and blended. Let it sit for about an hour, or overnight, before serving. No cooking required. Takes minutes to prepare.

My mom had to use naval oranges from Florida, which are not as good, but still work.

DSCF6797.thumb.JPG.15bb8957b725e1fa695ee93c014c5d16.JPG

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Further said:

I love cranberry sauce, the stuff in the can or homemade. We make it every year, with varying results, I don't seem to be capable of doing the same thing twice.

Anyhow, this years is the best I've ever made. I would like to try it as a pie filling. Maybe add some chopped walnuts, but my wife can't eat walnuts.

A bag of cranberries in a sauce pan

enough water to cover them

an orange, scrape the zest off, chop up the good stuff and toss in with the cranberries

a bit of cinnamon

a bit of nutmeg

a touch of cayenne

sugar to taste

bring to boil, turn down to simmer and keep stirring and mushing the berries till it gets as thick as you want

taste while reducing, the sugar and spices can be adjusted 

Being we had a blueberry farm when I was growing up, it was half cranberries, half blueberries, the juice and rind of a mandarin orange, water and sugar to taste. 

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

8 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I make it the same way my mom did, but I have the advantage of using oranges right off the tree.

Today I picked three ripe Satsuma mandarins off the tree, quartered and seeded them (leaving the skins on). put them in a food processer with one 12 ounce bag of fresh cranberries, added a little less than half a cup of sugar, and  blipped the blade a few times, so everything got chopped up, but not too finely. You don't want it pureed, just evenly chopped and blended. Let it sit for about an hour, or overnight, before serving. No cooking required. Takes minutes to prepare.

My mom had to use naval oranges from Florida, which are not as good, but still work.

DSCF6797.thumb.JPG.15bb8957b725e1fa695ee93c014c5d16.JPG

That’s what I make but I add spices and sometimes walnuts. I use a meat grinder.

• Heart 1