On a happier note, I have been tasked with getting people to participate in some game or other...

Randomguy

Also somewhat of a happy problem, we each can spend up to $100 on this dinner/zoomy get together.  I haven't been to restaurants much at all in my recent lifetime, other than some other holiday lunches where we had a $50 budget each, and it was difficult to get something that expensive when I am used to spending pretty much nothing.

Ideas?

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

Scavenger Hunt. Share a list of like eight things for people to find in their homes. Give them a few minutes. Then show and tell. 

Nice!  I like the way you think.  I am kind of stumped what I can have them look for, though.  I am remarkably obtuse at times.

• Heart 1

On 12/14/2021 at 9:14 AM, Randomguy said:

Nice!  I like the way you think.  I am kind of stumped what I can have them look for, though.  I am remarkably obtuse at times.

Take a look around your own place. And think about items that would “bring you out.” Then make a list of general descriptions. For example: “a most satisfying read” is general enough and helps to get to know others. Colors, value judgments, “biggest…”, “favorite”, and other generalizations. 

My students liked wearing hats, too. Anything that included a hat.

• Heart 4

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

For the game you could do a three truths and a lie, with on screen voting for what is the lie.

I'd buy a lot of Italian food for the event, and keep all the leftovers for dinner the following week.

Hmm, too complex for the company event, we will be eating half the time at least and just chatting until the activity.  Plus, trying to figure out the lie will make people perceive that people bad at this are dishonest in some way.

I like your idea for the dinner, but I think that is more or less against the spirit of buying folks a "nicer" holiday meal.  Somebody at the company got $50 worth of KFC for Thanksgiving lunch, so you know they were stocking up a bunch of meals.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Is there a restaurant near you that you’d like to try, but wouldn’t due to budget cuts? I’d do that. 

There are middling "nice" restaurants all over my neighborhood, but not $50-60 main courses and apps and salads that would seem worth it.  It just seems extravagant.  I wish there was a steakery close by, but there isn't.

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This Thursday?

Yup.

What are the demographics of the group?  Are they a younger crowd or a bunch of older staff?  That may influence your choices of what to do.  

If they are a younger crowd, get some of the more common memes and blank the words out.  Post one up and give them a set time to come up with a meme with that pic related directly to your office or work, then have them vote for prizes.

If the group is our age, don't bother because it would take too long to explain what a meme is.  Lol

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

What are the demographics of the group?  Are they a younger crowd or a bunch of older staff?  That may influence your choices of what to do.  

If they are a younger crowd, get some of the more common memes and blank the words out.  Post one up and give them a set time to come up with a meme with that pic related directly to your office or work, then have them vote for prizes.

If the group is our age, don't bother because it would take too long to explain what a meme is.  Lol

MIx of ages and mix of cultures.  Half Chinese or Taiwanese, half Americanos.

Make sure you have at least one thing on your list that will be harder to find or else everyone will win. 

a snowman

a hat

a fabulous read

something old school

something that requires batteries

something in your home that doesn’t belong to you

a photo you love

A fork bigger than 6 inches

an article of clothing over ten years old

something red

something you love

• Awesome 1

On 12/14/2021 at 4:10 PM, Randomguy said:

am not digging this assignment, something just screams contrived up and down.  I might ask everyone to choose to talk about their Christmas traditions or somesuch

Two masters of human learning and engagement strategies basically handed you the answers to this assignment. wtaf… 
Edit: I’ll add that your task is to make the opportunity to get to know more about each other. So, asking about holiday traditions is ok, but who’s going to speak to the topic? Does it offer the non-holiday people the same opportunity as the holiday people? 
I’d go with Aire’s list and a scavenger hunt because each person’s interpretation is at the center of the task. 

• Heart 1

46 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I might have to do that!

I am not digging this assignment, something just screams contrived up and down.  I might ask everyone to choose to talk about their Christmas traditions or somesuch.

Do not do this. Please trust me. 

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Do not do this. Please trust me. 

Please explain.

Also, please keep in mind that I will only be comfortable doing dude things, I have no interest in orchestrating some Lifetime movie or other that makes no sense.  With that on the top of your head, what do you really suggest I do?

14 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Please explain.

Also, please keep in mind that I will only be comfortable doing dude things, I have no interest in orchestrating some Lifetime movie or other that makes no sense.  With that on the top of your head, what do you really suggest I do?

Scavenger hunt is my suggestion. If you ask about Christmas traditions or past, it will be a Hallmark movie. Someone will talk about Christmas during the war, or under communist rule, or the year their mom got drunk, or when they got no gifts. It will go downhill from there. 

• Heart 2

On 12/14/2021 at 5:04 PM, Randomguy said:

Every prompt on the list can be translated as a guy thing. Don’t overthink it. 

• Heart 3