An Observation and A Confession

Zealot

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I agree with RG, but I also was not in Cheese's inner circle.  Seems like Cheese is his "name", so makes sense rather than just the one he happened to be using most recently.  

I would hate to die as "Dickbag" or somesuch suddenly, and be stuck on anything other than Randomguy.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Good point, if you want your birthday noted, you should actually put it in the profile.

I did write in the original post that I don’t advertise my B-day.  

Like I’ve also alluded to, this was something different. It reflects on me, not the forum. 

1 minute ago, Zealot said:

I did write in the original post that I don’t advertise my B-day.  

Like I’ve also alluded to, this was something different. It reflects on me, not the forum. 

Then it is not rational to be hurt about people forgetting your birthday, if you don't let us know when it is.  It could have been last month and you just bought the drum.

Today I may buy myself a birthday gift from my husband.  My birthday is in summer.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Then it is not rational to be hurt about people forgetting your birthday, if you don't let us know when it is.  It could have been last month and you just bought the drum.

Today I may buy myself a birthday gift from my husband.  My birthday is in summer.

That wasn’t the reference, DH. This was:

29 minutes ago, Zealot said:

I’ve also alluded to, this was something different.

It didn't seem that way at all.  You said "I’m a little hurt. I am alive and still here. Today is my birthday as well. But not one well wish. I could say that no one knows my birthday because I don’t advertise it. But I did mention it yesterday and several ‘liked’ my post."  It seems the opposite of when you later said "Like I’ve also alluded to, this was something different. It reflects on me, not the forum."   

You can't have it both ways, and there is a simple solution.  Just add your birthday and the folks here are happy to wish you well and congratulate you on not being dead.  No bot post, and people forget your birthday every time.   There are so many threads churned out that unless it is at the top half of the forum, I don't often notice for instance.  Anyone who didn't open your post didn't and couldn't know it was your birthday as well.  Just add it to your profile and people will say hi and happy birthday every time.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It didn't seem that way at all.  You said "I’m a little hurt. I am alive and still here. Today is my birthday as well. But not one well wish. I could say that no one knows my birthday because I don’t advertise it. But I did mention it yesterday and several ‘liked’ my post."  It seems the opposite of when you later said "Like I’ve also alluded to, this was something different. It reflects on me, not the forum."   

You can't have it both ways, and there is a simple solution.  Just add your birthday and the folks here are happy to wish you well and congratulate you on not being dead.  No bot post, and people forget your birthday every time.   There are so many threads churned out that unless it is at the top half of the forum, I don't often notice for instance.  Anyone who didn't open your post didn't and couldn't know it was your birthday as well.  Just add it to your profile and people will say hi and happy birthday every time.

I’ve offered my apologies to the group, and expressed that my issues do not reflect on anyone here. Being chided or reprimanded really serves no further useful purpose. But if that’s what anyone wants to do, ok. I accept that as well. 

However, RG, you and I do much better when we ignore each other. We can continue along that path. 

Peace.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Zealot said:

I know this. And I feel all the worse for it. 😞I did not mean to add any negative feelings to an already sad remembrance. 

I have no excuse. But I do deeply apologize. Please forgive me. 

No apologies necessary!!!  As I said, thank you for the reminder to not only remember what has passed but to celebrate with those who are still here and to make the most of the joys each day presents. :loveshower:

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Zealot said:

That wasn’t the reference, DH. This was:

I didn't even really read that thread.  

Was not trying to shame.   I was merely trying to make you feel that it was not purposeful and that we need some help with remembering the day so feelings don't get hurt in the future.  I forgot H0DH's Bday the week of our wedding.  Way too overwhelmed during that time.

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I can edit is, but I'd like others to weigh in first.

I think of him most as Airwick with Cheese (AWWC) which honored his beloved Airwick and which is the name he used for the longest.  But he changed it to Sam with Cheese in honor of his equally beloved Sam who passed unexpectedly. I would agree that I wouldn't want to leave him with some random name he picked as a joke, but Sam with Cheese was meaningful to him as well.  I'd be ok with either Airwick or Sam with Cheese.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I didn't even really read that thread.  

Was not trying to shame.   I was merely trying to make you feel that it was not purposeful and that we need some help with remembering the day so feelings don't get hurt in the future.  I forgot H0DH's Bday the week of our wedding.  Way too overwhelmed during that time.

I understand. I know it wasn’t purposeful. Thank you for your kindness. 

5 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I respectfully decline to accept your apology, as I believe none is warranted.  You've done nothing different than many others have in offering the sharing of their feelings to the Forum at large. 

In your original post you mentioned you thought you were a difficult person, you don't endear yourself to people, and you're not easy to get to know.  That you're crappy at making friends.

Hmmmm....

As a perspective, I recall in 2013 a gentleman offered to invite total strangers into his house just before embarking on a week-long ride down the C&O.  He showed them unparalleled hospitality and courtesy.  He gave of his time and arranged travel plans for the convenience of his guests, at some inconvenience to himself and his family.  Even though he'd been on the C&O frequently, he patiently indulged them throughout the trip when they investigated new-to-them sights and scenes.  And waterfalls.  His local knowledge complimented the signs and displays that dotted the C&O.  He and his wife arranged a picnic one day for the troupe.  He took time as well to detour off the C&O to the Antietam Battlefield, which became an experience of its own and a highlight of the trip.  When spokes broke and tires flatted, he fixed them.  He missed not one opportunity to make his traveling companions feel at ease or to make the journey more enjoyable.  There's more - and more - I could say about the gentleman, but I think you understand, and you know...

That gentleman was you.

One learns a lot about a person during a week long bike trip.  And it's not so much the words but the behavior, not so much the words but the way of treating others, that subtly reveals the person who exists under whatever exterior he chooses to wear. 

I would suggest you not criticize yourself unduly.  For every person who might directly say 'Thank you!' for a kindness you did for them, I have no doubt there are easily a dozen you would never know about who are grateful to you or that you have positively influenced in some way.  Not because that's some sort of societal statistical average, but because that is the person I saw when we rode the C&O.

TK, you are ever a gentleman (and a scholar), and I am honored and blessed to have spent that week with you and the others. 

I would like to believe I am the person you described. But I’ve trouble accepting such. So, I will simply say thank you and be thankful that our time together was as positive for you as it was for me.  And you already know you are always welcome in my home. 

Peace, my friend. 

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Hugs 1

Zealot, you already know how much I enjoyed the week with you and your wife but I’ll say it again. I like what the way you speak on the forum. I’m a big chicken and afraid to get in trouble or stir up trouble if I speak out too much about my faith or where I stand on issues that have become politics. I don’t know if you notice I’m always liking or awesome your posts. I really like when you are around and hope we can do another ride this summer.

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Zealot, you already know how much I enjoyed the week with you and your wife but I’ll say it again. I like what the way you speak on the forum. I’m a big chicken and afraid to get in trouble or stir up trouble if I speak out too much about my faith or where I stand on issues that have become politics. I don’t know if you notice I’m always liking or awesome your posts. I really like when you are around and hope we can do another ride this summer.

Thanks LJ, and I hope you know I enjoyed your company on our trip as well. I meant it when I agreed earlier that we should do it again sometime. I do need to get back into it. Truly haven’t ridden since September of 2020. 😳 We’ll have to get something planned out. 

Thank you for your kind words, my friend.

• Awesome 1

12 hours ago, Zealot said:

My apologies. Please forgive me. That post was completely self indulgent and self pitying. I am ashamed.

I do not advertise my birthday, here, FB, anywhere really. So it is absolutely no one’s fault but my own if that day gets overlooked. 

By way of explanation, please accept that by the time I wrote that post, I’d not had enough sleep, my sugar crashed and that all culminated in my mood sinking.  I think I crashed about 7:00 last night.

You’re good people here. 

Peace, this day. 

No apologies necessary. This is the place to be real and share. I am still bothered that I did not remember and together we just keep moving forward. 

• Hugs 2

14 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Hey, Santa Claus! I've got my eye on you and you're now on the list!  :o

• Haha 1