carburator explained

bikeman564™

Very interesting. After watching the video, it shows me why fuel injection is so much more efficient as all those droplets don't mix well with the air.

A couple of points.

He says that the gasoline molecule needs to be next to an oxygen molecule. Actually it's more like three oxygen molecules. For most gasoline engines that air fuel mixture needs to be about 14.5 to 1. As air is around 21% oxygen, that's three oxygen molecules.

I wish he'd also look a variable venturi carbs like the trusty old SU's found on a lot of British cars.

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

That explains a lawn mower carburetor on a constant speed motor.

It doesn't even come close to an automobile carburetor on a variable speed motor that has to handle conditions from idle through acceleration and into top speed.  In one of those carbs there are usually 3 different fuel inlet circuits, main, idle and transition.  The main is similar to the constant speed carb, the idle is a special port that provides fuel through a narrow venturi created between the almost closed throttle blade and the throat wall next to that blade.  The third is a transition fuel inlet system just above the idle port that has a venturi created at small blade openings just above idle.  There is also an accelerator pump that shoots a fuel charge into the main jets as the throttle blade is opened.  The more rapidly it's opened the faster this charge is delivered.

In some carbs there are metering rods that restrict the fuel flow through the main jets.  These stepped rods that are pulled into the jets by engine vacuum so that the largest step is in the jet at idle and the smallest at full throttle when the intake vacuum is less.

Exactly where these ports and slots are located and to a degree their shape helps atomize the fuel into small burnable droplets or vapor.

Fuel injection, especially computer controlled beats this system hands down, but at the carbs high point they were fantastic machines that attempted to do everything as well as possible without computer control.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

In some carbs there are metering rods that restrict the fuel flow through the main jets.  These stepped rods that are pulled into the jets by engine vacuum so that the largest step is in the jet at idle and the smallest at full throttle when the intake vacuum is less.

I think a repressed memory of my rebuilding a Quadrajet carb just resurfaced.

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

It doesn't even come close to an automobile carburetor on a variable speed motor that has to handle conditions from idle through acceleration and into top speed.  In one of those carbs there are usually 3 different fuel inlet circuits, main, idle and transition.  The main is similar to the constant speed carb, the idle is a special port that provides fuel through a narrow venturi created between the almost closed throttle blade and the throat wall next to that blade.  The third is a transition fuel inlet system just above the idle port that has a venturi created at small blade openings just above idle.  There is also an accelerator pump that shoots a fuel charge into the main jets as the throttle blade is opened.  The more rapidly it's opened the faster this charge is delivered.

Exactly where these ports and slots are located and to a degree their shape helps atomize the fuel into small burnable droplets or vapor.

Fuel injection, especially computer controlled beats this system hands down, but at the carbs high point they were fantastic machines that attempted to do everything as well as possible without computer control.

https://gfycat.com/daringradiantbasenji

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

There is also an accelerator pump that shoots a fuel charge into the main jets as the throttle blade is opened. 

That's what the oil under the cap on top of an SU carb does in a way. The oil does not lube the carb; rather, it slows down the opening of the variable venturi piston which enriches the fuel mixture.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I think Dr. Mick got hold of maxx's password... :whistle:

;)

• Haha 3

Back in the 60's, teenage me knew nothing about cars - my parents not owning one - but when I got a limping-along-wreck of a 1959 Chevy Impala for $300, a 283 V8 was so simple I could buy a 2-barrel carburetor rebuilding kit for less than $10 and get mine working perfectly.  Today it would be a trip to the garage.  Spark plugs properly gapped, new valve cover gaskets to keep oil from dripping down the side plus a spray can of engine orange paint and it was perfect!