Ever heard of S-Phyre cycling shoes?

jsharr

I had not until Ryan wore some home yesterday.   He had been wearing my road shoes, Sidi Megas, but he has a narrow foot and was getting some heel slip.  So he told me he was going to the LBS, which happens to be RBM (Richardson Bike Mart) to look at shoes.  Turns out they were having a big sale.  He tried on several shoes and went with a shoe by S-Phyre, which I think is a Shimano brand.  Super light and stiff and lots of ventilation.  Has a boa system and the they have really cool feature on the toe that allows you to open or close the toe box by moving the attachment point for the BOA cable.  I am scared to ask him what he paid for them, as the ones I am seeing are pretty spendy.  

He also liked some shoes by Giant, but they were too flashy for him.  

We talked about riding together some.  Maybe he does a warm up with me for a few miles and then heads out on his own.  Will be easier now that I have road shoes again.  

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

Road shoes last forever.  If they're comfortible he'll be able to use them for the next 20 years, all he should have to do is replace the cleat.  Do you think his foot is fully grown?  If so then amortize the price over 20 years and they'll be worth the cost.

I have worn Shimano shoes for a while, but have not heard of S-Phyre

What I have been wearing the past few years are Shimano XC-1 shoes. I have Shimano mountain pedals on both bikes, and these shoes are easy to walk in off the bike, and the cleats are protected.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

What I have been wearing the past few years are Shimano XC-1 shoes. I have Shimano mountain pedals on both bikes, and these shoes are easy to walk in off the bike, and the cleats are protected.

That is sort of what I do.  I wear some really old Specialized MTB shoes and ride SPDs on most of my bikes.  I had SPD-SL on my Trek 1200 that I gave to Ryan. He as been wearing my Sidi Megas but wanted his own shoes.

Now that I have the Megas back, I may put SPD-SL pedals on my Falcon.  

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have a pretty average foot size.

I can’t even imagine what it’s like to be able to buy bike shoes in a store. I wear bike sandals whenever the weather is 50° or better. In the winter I wear a pair of Shimano mountain bike shoes size 49 extra wide. They are not wide enough but I don’t do any century rides in the winter. 
My latest pair or regular shoes are Sketchers size 15 EEEE. They make my feet so happy.

• Heart 1

Just now, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

S-Phyre is a top end road shoe from Shimano. My friend from the LBS bought a pair and loves them. They retail around $400, but he got a real good deal when Trek bought the LBS and dumped anything that wasn’t Trek / Bontrager. 

Ryan paid under $300 for his.  It is a damn nice shoe.  He takes care of his stuff.  Adjusted his derailleurs before yesterdays ride and came back asking how often should he repack bearings.  We may have some fun soon, as I love working on bikes with him.

• Awesome 3

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I had not until Ryan wore some home yesterday.   He had been wearing my road shoes, Sidi Megas, but he has a narrow foot and was getting some heel slip.  So he told me he was going to the LBS, which happens to be RBM (Richardson Bike Mart) to look at shoes.  Turns out they were having a big sale.  He tried on several shoes and went with a shoe by S-Phyre, which I think is a Shimano brand.  Super light and stiff and lots of ventilation.  Has a boa system and the they have really cool feature on the toe that allows you to open or close the toe box by moving the attachment point for the BOA cable.  I am scared to ask him what he paid for them, as the ones I am seeing are pretty spendy.  

He also liked some shoes by Giant, but they were too flashy for him.  

We talked about riding together some.  Maybe he does a warm up with me for a few miles and then heads out on his own.  Will be easier now that I have road shoes again.  

If you want to keep up with the kids, get an e bike.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, az_cyclist said:

I recently switched to the XC 5 with the glass sole.  I had been riding in my giro empires which are freaking awesome but as I often have to hike a bike, the super stiff carbon soles are hard to walk up steep hills with.  The CX 5 is a happy medium for me.  I did put some of those Crank Bros shoe protectors (a small square aluminum piece that fits between the cleat & sole).  I was noticing some hot spots under the cleat but the clear protector did the trick. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

Ryan paid under $300 for his.  It is a damn nice shoe.  He takes care of his stuff.

I'm still on 2011 Specialized S-Works road shoes. I've replaced the Boas (for FREE) once. I wear them all year and they are still in pretty darn good shape.  If he takes care of his shoes, my bet is they will last a long time - long enough to claim a Boa under free replacement.  

• Heart 2