So the |}%** ship doesn’t have any kind of backup for its steering?

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by Randomguy,

I am reading it lost power, or propulsion.  A rudder has very little steering effect without forward or reverse motion.  The ship should have had thrusters at the bow, but they do not offer enough thrust for steerage in high wind or current events.  I have again read and heard that area can have strong currents.  

1 minute ago, 12string said:

This isn't hard.  Precisely why, even though I have an engine, I keep an oar in MY boat.  Why didn't they think of this?

I would laugh, but it is probably too soon after such a tragic event. Too bad they could not have forewarned the workers of the impending problem, so they could have gotten the hell out of Dodge.

8 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

Don’t ships need port or river pilots or even tugs when navigating tight areas?

Two pilots were onboard from what I read.  Tugs are used as needed but I do not know what causes the need for tugs. 

9 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I would laugh, but it is probably too soon after such a tragic event. Too bad they could not have forewarned the workers of the impending problem, so they could have gotten the hell out of Dodge.

The ship did alert authorities that they had lost power and could collide with the bridge from what I have heard and read.  Just not enough time to shut the bridge down or knowledge that a crew was on the bridge repairing pot holes.

8 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

yeah, I guess too soon.  I do deal with things differently.

The workers were my first thought.  People driving were just driving, hey, cool a ship.  But the workers saw it coming, but there was absolutely noting they could do.  There might be a possibility to survive that jump, only to freeze in the water.

The pilot saw it coming too, knowing that with no prop, there's basically no steering, thrusters are useless when under way, he knew people were about to die.

Notice how those bridge supports had no buffers.  There are a couple pilings, but so far from the supports that the ship passed them and still blew into the supports.

17 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Maybe like loss of power steering in your car when it loses power. Hell of a lot harder than steering a car without power steering, and big ships don't turn on a dime.

Can't they do something with their sails?  :whistle:

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Just not enough time to shut the bridge down or knowledge that a crew was on the bridge repairing pot holes.

In fact I did just read something that said they were able to close off the bridge approaches - which unfortunately didn't seem to help the workers.  But obviously in the swirl of news reports in the immediate aftermath, hard to pin down what really happened and when.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, 12string said:

This isn't hard.  Precisely why, even though I have an engine, I keep an oar in MY boat.  Why didn't they think of this?

Rocket boosters would help, too.  And just where the hell was Spiderman or Superman or Homelander?

22 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I am reading it lost power, or propulsion.  A rudder has very little steering effect without forward or reverse motion.  The ship should have had thrusters at the bow, but they do not offer enough thrust for steerage in high wind or current events.  I have again read and heard that area can have strong currents.  

And without propulsion the effects of steering are adverse because you'd be moving the stern left or right.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Two pilots were onboard from what I read.  Tugs are used as needed but I do not know what causes the need for tugs. 

A river pilot would still be at the helm there, the ship's pilot would just be watching.  Tugs are only for docking.  Once the prop went dead, the only extra knowledge a river pilot had was the name of the bridge they were about to hit

I met a ship’s pilot once. I was in Spain and flying back to the States. He was next to me in First Class. Got to talking. He lived in Puerto Rico and worked maybe two months out of the year. The shipping companies pay for his travel expenses and he gets good money for piloting big ass ships through tight places. He went through the Strait of Gibraltar to the Atlantic Ocean where the ship pilot took over. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Moving a large ship through tight spaces.  Duh.  I assure you that navy professionals would have had tugs for backup.  I was in and out of Chesapeake Bay many times and into the Hudson River piers once as the navigation radar operator for a 600 ft long single screw ship and the shipping around us was always a cluster.  We had tugs, pilots, radar and prayers at all times.

You know the prayer......................"Please God don't let me fuck up"

I've been part of a crash stop when a civilian tug casually pulled a barge across the channel directly in front of us.  The crew on the our bow were looking straight down over the bow and screaming obscenities at them.

The pilot and tugs for New York met us well outside.  We were approaching at night and attempting to track about 60 different moving contacts.  In the bay we transited the bridge tunnel on our own and then picked up the tugs.

• Heart 3
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, 12string said:

A river pilot would still be at the helm there, the ship's pilot would just be watching.  Tugs are only for docking.  Once the prop went dead, the only extra knowledge a river pilot had was the name of the bridge they were about to hit

In our ports, the pilots are on board, and advise the bridge of desired course and speed but the ships crew is still in control of the boat and the captain is still in charge of his/her ship.  The pilot does nothing 'hands on"

21 minutes ago, 12string said:

I saw a longer video.  while there were a few cars on the bridge when it went down, it seemed like quite a few less than just moments prior.  I don't know if that was intentional or just fortuitous.

I heard on the news earlier that traffic onto the bridge had been stopped prior to the collapse.  The ship did issue a mayday call saying they lost power and might collide with the bridge.

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Just heard on the news that the ship did declare an emergency, and that they were able to shut the bridge down to traffic, but couldn’t get the workers off

I guess the vehicles I saw rolling down the incline must have been construction vehicles. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Ralphie said:

I guess the vehicles I saw rolling down the incline must have been construction vehicles. 

Yes, they think that the vehicles were all work related.  Traffic had been stopped.  IN this video you can watch at the ship loses and recovers power several times and it appears to try and turn at the last moment