$92

Wilbur

9 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Don’t blame Joe, you’re in a different country.

They have really ramped up meat prices, waaaaaaaaay more than inflation could account for, even at 5x inflation.  I am sure labor getting a little more is part of that, along with feed and other expenses, but I think the meat producers just saw an opportunity to see where the limits of the squeeze would be.

I am just going to have to steal a cow and keep it in my apartment.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Further said:

The cost of production has some effect on price, but what has more effect is how much people will pay.

Oddly, with more and more millionaires every day, money for many is flowing like a river.  It used to be a rising tide lifted all boats, and while some saw that as a good thing, others saw an opportunity to shift things in their favor.

28 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Oddly, with more and more millionaires every day, money for many is flowing like a river.  It used to be a rising tide lifted all boats, and while some saw that as a good thing, others saw an opportunity to shift things in their favor.

to be lifted, first you have to have a worthy boat. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Canada probably already has plenty of rules, so no kids or undocumented immigrants to underpay.

Yeah, we have foreign workers.  There are plenty of "undocumented" now.  When the US has an open border, we do too. 

Per the USDA, feed prices for farmers were up 16% in one year due to drought and other crop issues.  Then add in increased transportation, payroll etc. and to the extent any of the production is financed, interest costs, and I'm not surprised beef costs are up, but there is a limit to what people can pay as well.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

They have really ramped up meat prices, waaaaaaaaay more than inflation could account for, even at 5x inflation.  I am sure labor getting a little more is part of that, along with feed and other expenses, but I think the meat producers just saw an opportunity to see where the limits of the squeeze would be.

I am just going to have to steal a cow and keep it in my apartment.

There's been a pretty drastic reduction in the number of cattle in North America.  Climate change has killed off cows through sever weather events and changes in ability to graze and grow feed.  It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Advances in lab grown meat will soon have us all eating Kobe Beef for the price of cheap ground.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm sure Joe would accept the 51st-58th US states! Just have to give up on the Queen King and the metric system.

Meh.  It has been tried and failed before.  We have China in our back pocket now. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 12string said:

There's been a pretty drastic reduction in the number of cattle in North America.  Climate change has killed off cows through sever weather events and changes in ability to graze and grow feed.  It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Advances in lab grown meat will soon have us all eating Kobe Beef for the price of cheap ground.

Kobe bugs, maybe. 

• Haha 1