DO NOT feel even one iota of empathy

7 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

At least it wasn't a skunk.

Just what I was thinking.  One time I walked my dog by an artificial lake in an office park, there were dozens of geese everywhere. 

Guess who rolled in goose poop?

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

She took off on a deer and apparently while she was off on her little "adventure" - and I was walking around screaming my guts out - she found a dead porcupine to roll in.:angry:

Hmmm, I think I have to agree with you. She deserved it.

Hopefully the jacket took some of the intensity out.

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

She will be great in about 7 years. 

About 4 years ago we adopted a 12 year old Jack Russell.  After I got the opportunity to chase after him, he has always been on a leash. 

Did WoBG learn from my mistake. No. She took him outside and he took off on a scent.  She only caught him in the woods about 1/4 mile away when he stopped to pee.

This was when he was 12. :frantics:

Then I found this...  a little Jack Russell is fast on his feet.   #7 in this list. 

https://wagwalking.com/breed/top-fastest-dog-breeds-in-the-world

We could go on 6 mile dog walks,  he was ready for 6 more. Someone taught him how to heel and walk.  He'd always be at my right side. 

Now at 16 1/2 arthritis has won the battle.  :(. A half mile walk is a long walk now.  And he gets carried up and down our stairs.  

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

About 4 years ago we adopted a 12 year old Jack Russell.  After I got the opportunity to chase after him, he has always been on a leash.

Since we do a LOT of hiking, I've been working with her off-lead and she's been pretty good. (Apart from EATING ever damned thing she finds). I've been concerned about deer, but I've been ultra-vigilant and up until Saturday, spotted them before she does. Fortunately, she's a sight hound and loses interest in chasing almost as soon as the animal is out of sight.

Then I found this...  a little Jack Russell is fast on his feet.   #7 in this list.

Yeah, when I was researching Lure Coursing, I was seeing info on what breeds were the fastest. Some were very surprising.

We could go on 6 mile dog walks,  he was ready for 6 more. Someone taught him how to heel and walk.  He'd always be at my right side.

We did a six mile hike in the Adirondacks last fall and she did probably twice that, chasing chipmunks. She still sat up in the truck all the way home.

Now at 16 1/2 arthritis has won the battle.  :(. A half mile walk is a long walk now.  And he gets carried up and down our stairs.  

Yeah, my walks with Gus got shorter and shorter all the time. He'd just stop and look at me, and we'd turn around.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

He'd just stop and look at me, and we'd turn around.

Yeah I know that look.

A few times he just stops.  At least I can carry him.  15 pounds isn't too bad to carry. 

6 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

We did a six mile hike in the Adirondacks last fall and she did probably twice that, chasing chipmunks

Our Beagle is like that.  Always following a scent. Or looking for a scent to follow. Zooming everywhere. 

Both dog breeds will follow a scent until they are exhausted.  

I got opportunity to chase after the Beagle when she was 1.  Bella has been on a leash for the last 7 years. 

Ruby is on a leash MOST of the time. I let her off when we are sitting on the patio. Any rabbit chases are usually pretty short. She is just moderately fast (more than fast enough to elude me!), but very nimble in her evasive maneuvers when she does not want to be rounded up. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

We owned several Jack Russells before our current Airedale.  We learned very early that they were never allowed off the leash.  We have stories...... most of them involve a young grandchild leaving the door open.

• Heart 2

On 4/4/2024 at 10:30 AM, Randomguy said:

Just what I was thinking.  One time I walked my dog by an artificial lake in an office park, there were dozens of geese everywhere. 

Guess who rolled in goose poop?

Jake didn't roll in it, but there's a park we walk that's inhabited by a huge flock of Canada Geese in the Fall and Winter and when they fly overhead at noon it gets as dark below them as dusk.  I'm amazed we haven't been bombed by them yet.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Kzoo said:

We owned several Jack Russells before our current Airedale.  We learned very early that they were never allowed off the leash.  We have stories...... most of them involve a young grandchild leaving the door open.

We have the same rule. Too many heart stopping moments. 

• Heart 2

21 hours ago, Kzoo said:

We owned several Jack Russells

I have to ask...

Our JR is the noisiest dog we have ever had.  He moans and groans about stuff a LOT.  So is our JR deranged or did your JR's get vocal too?

3 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

You sometimes sort of wonder how dogs ever made it withoot humans

Our JR is a lot more mellow now. A year or 2 ago if we meet an other dog during our morning walk Parker would go into attack mode and fight ANY all dogs.  Considering he weighs maybe 16 pounds going after a 100 pound dog didn't seem like a good idea.  He didn't care. 

Parker would be sleeping on the couch,  Bella our Beagle would jump up and lay next to him.  Parker would start growing and his lips would curl.  That hasn't happened in a year now.  He just looks at Bella now and lays there.

I can't imagine Parker when he was 1 or 2.  :frantics:

• Haha 1

I love that neither of our Boston terrorists has ever growled at a human or not really at a dog either - they just bark a lot at them.  Quite a difference from our dogs we had growing up, where one even bit my arm because I was eating ham. Thankfully I had a winter coat on. That dog was neurotic. 

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

I have to ask...

Our JR is the noisiest dog we have ever had.  He moans and groans about stuff a LOT.  So is our JR deranged or did your JR's get vocal too?

Our JRTs were quiet.  The last one might have barked twice in his lifetime.

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Our JRTs were quiet.  The last one might have barked twice in his lifetime.

Our dog whines, moans and groans a LOT.  Even now as I'm posting this. 

He barked when he was in attack mode trying to go after other dogs.