The van has EIGHT trouble codes

Ralphie

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

You could have 8 all for the same system--- primary fault with secondary ones.  What are the codes/

Are you and smudge fighting for the Dilbert's mom title? :D

Mechanic without even seeing the codes says one or more coil packs are bad plus probably plugs.  I can't remember when the plugs were last replaced, but it ran fine up until this.   So why do cars have individual coils now, when I remember in the old days there was just one ignition coil?

Two of them are for the evaporation system. Could be as simple as the gas cap not on tight or defective.

Two others are for the O2 sensor system. Might be a broken wire.

One is for misfiring. That could be the plugs and coil. Could also cause the O2 sensor readings.

One is low EGR. 

You might want to see the total cost then decide if the van is worth it.

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

Two of them are for the evaporation system. Could be as simple as the gas cap not on tight or defective.

Two others are for the O2 sensor system. Might be a broken wire.

One is for misfiring. That could be the plugs and coil. Could also cause the O2 sensor readings.

One is low EGR. 

You might want to see the total cost then decide if the van is worth it.

It has had P0420 since it was aboot 10 years old or so.  A constant nightmare come inspection time.  Replace the catalytic converter and the code is back within a year.

It has been a year or so since I looked (the damn CEL is always on due to the P0420), but to get 7 new ones all at once for some unrelated things seems odd. 

I'll have to check - I think they exempted my 1995 car from emissions testing, but I don't think they went up to 1999.  The mechanic said that the misfire can put unburned fuel into the cat, but it already registers as shot.  The next emissions inspection is 8/17, and the next transmission is due in about 15k (they go out at 75k like clockwork).  So a few hundred bucks to get to at least August seems worth it.

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Did you try smacking it with a pedal wrench?  Some folks believe you can fix anything with a pedal wrench.

I miss monkey's pedal wrench and microwave stories. :D

I really do have the Fonzie touch.  I can clear the error code on the fancy electronic vending machine with just the right gentle push.  I was astounded when I discovered that one. :)

• Heart 2

I am not sure what this all means but---

the catalyst deficiency is determined by the difference in the signal response between the front o2 senior and the rear o2 sensor.  If the catylst is good it has 02 storage capacity so a change in the front o2 sensor gets filtered out by the catylst and the rear one doesn't see it.  If the catylst is bad they read the same.  If it is good they read different. 

It is possible the front o2 sensor is really the issue not the catylst 

4 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I am not sure what this all means but---

the catalyst deficiency is determined by the difference in the signal response between the front o2 senior and the rear o2 sensor.  If the catylst is good it has 02 storage capacity so a change in the front o2 sensor gets filtered out by the catylst and the rear one doesn't see it.  If the catylst is bad they read the same.  If it is good they read different. 

It is possible the front o2 sensor is really the issue not the catylst 

This issue has been debated endlessly at the Odyssey forum.  A lot of people resorted to some kind of simulator to fake out the computer.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Scrapr said:

You must have been at the same mechanic as me today. Only 5 codes. 02 sensor, Cat, Coil packs and plugs. some kind of coolant pump, trans flush

He was up to 5k when I told him to stop. $2500 for a cat? Hell, I can get one at the Humane society for like $20

Cats are expensive at a dealership. On my famous Deadwood the Moran service manager told me both cats were dead on my less than a year old car. I told her to replace them if it needed it. She called and said the car was ready and tried to charge me for the work. I told her those were under warranty. She said no they are not. I told her to google the five year/100,000 mile cat warranty mandated by federal law on all cars that have them. She came back and said, oh I guess they are covered. That wasn't the problem anyway and the check engine light stayed on but I got two new cats out of the deal and made a moran service manager look foolish.

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, Airehead said:

The first 2 are o2 sensor, 420 is a catalyst deficiency which could be related to an o2 sensor

401- low flow in erg valve

456-evaporate code proably a manufactors specific 

399-- also manufactors specific code

C'mon, admit it, you mighta had some help there. 

• Heart 2