Dead resident

petitepedal

1 minute ago, petitepedal said:

:( 74...a young one..been doing peritoneal dialysis for a couple of years...told me a few months ago she would never have started if she had known the complications

Yea, that sucks.  Dialysis ain't for everyone.  I start new people all of the time.  Some of them I really wonder if they know what they are getting into.  

I just wish I didn't have to find them..she missed a doctor's appointment..and the nurse called for a welfare check. Last we know for sure is she was at the doc last Monday..she may have been dead a day or two..the apartment is pretty cool.

My rule is you die on the weekend so I don't have to find you.

• Sad 1

Petite, I haven't asked outright my doctor-sister of what it's like for her to tell family member that their loved one has died. She works as an emergency medicine doctor at a hospital.

She's been practicing for over last 15 yrs. so plenty of experience.

It shocked us that she could estimate when our father would die after he was admitted into palliative care. She guessed right..approx.. before Christmas. This was a few yrs. ago.  But she knows the trends among certain cancer patients and the frail elderly in general, what happens.  The worst part begins when the elderly cannot push themselves out of bed.  She was the sibling who voluntarily stepped up to take father to all his appointments, advocate for him and take work hours cut from hospital so she would help him.  

7 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Yea, that sucks.  Dialysis ain't for everyone.  I start new people all of the time.  Some of them I really wonder if they know what they are getting into.  

Wait, what are the side effects?  I thought the blood just got cleaned, out one end and in the other, or something.  Afterword, everyone goes tralala or somesuch.

What gives?

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Walk away and let nature take its course, and yes I have thought about this.  She was younger than me.

That is what my step-father did when diagnosed with colon cancer. He knew from friends that sought treatment and died that they quality of life wasn't there for the extra 6 months.

8 hours ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

Wait, what are the side effects?  I thought the blood just got cleaned, out one end and in the other, or something.  Afterword, everyone goes tralala or somesuch.

What gives?

I mean you have to come to the dialysis center 3X a week and get poked with pretty big needles.  You have to really limit how much fluid you drink and you have to sit in a chair for 4 hours.  That may not sound like a whole  lot to a normal healthy person but it can be a lot for a little frail elderly person.  There are some blood pressure changes on you while you are having you blood cleaned.  little frail old people don't like that too much.