Very Distressing : A New York Times Travel Writer has Discovered the Big Tomato.

Page Turner

...and given the pretentious, hipster nature of the travelogue, I might need to put my house up for sale and move.:(

36 Hours in Sacramento

Unlike California’s glittering, glamorous coastal cities, Sacramento’s location in the Central Valley gives it an earnest, small-town affect and a welcome lack of pretension.

Cruise down to the R Street Corridor, a former railroad yard and industrial area, now home to intriguing shops and designers. For hyper-curated outdoor clothing and gear with a city-streets-meets-Redwood forests sensibility — think fleece sweatshirts in vibrant colors — head to the All Good flagship store, which also organizes hiking, surfing and bouldering trips in California and beyond.

Down the street, the Warehouse Artist Lofts Public Market has a small but enticing food court with excellent poke — the Hawaiian-style raw fish salad that’s sweeping California — at Fish Face Poke Bar and an exciting collection of shops: midcentury wares and records at Kicksville Vinyl & Vintage, where you can find everything from 45s to atomic age lamps; and fabulously retro vintage clothing at Old Gold. For admirers of bespoke clothing, Benjamins crafts shoes — like a $375 boot made of leather from the Chicago tannery Horween, which takes 16 to 20 weeks to deliver — on site.

Fuck you, you hipster dooshbag.  If I want to blow 400 bucks on a pair of boots I'll fly to New York.:angry:

We get invaded by a few million touristas every year. BuffJim is here right now. He suggested we meet for lunch, but I haven't heard back from him.

In any case, you'll get over it.

Assuming the rising property prices don't drive you into the desert, that is.

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...and given the pretentious, hipster nature of the travelogue, I might need to put my house up for sale and move.:(

Fuck you, you hipster dooshbag.  If I want to blow 400 bucks on a pair of boots I'll fly to New York.:angry:

Hipsters seek out other hipsters. The big Sack apparently is full of hipsters, so why are you surprised when another one comes to visit?

Tom

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Hipsters seek out other hipsters. The big Sack apparently is full of hipsters, so why are you surprised when another one comes to visit?

Tom

...not surprised exactly.  Surprised is the wrong word.  I just had assumed that the New York hipsters were in the center of the hipster universe already, and that the hipster travel between here and there was mostly Sacramento hipsters making the trip to Mecca, rather than the Brooklyn hipsters flying out to the provinces.

Nothing good can come of this. What if a few of them discover how much cheaper the rents are here than in Brooklyn, and decide to  overstay their visas ?:(

We here in Sactomato are already overburdened with hipsters.  There's no valid reason for importing more of them, because they are a drain on the economy.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...not surprised exactly.  Surprised is the wrong word.  I just had assumed that the New York hipsters were in the center of the hipster universe already, and that the hipster travel between here and there was mostly Sacramento hipsters making the trip to Mecca, rather than the Brooklyn hipsters flying out to the provinces.

Nothing good can come of this. What if a few of them discover how much cheaper the rents are here than in Brooklyn, and decide to  overstay their visas ?:(

We here in Sactomato are already overburdened with hipsters.  There's no valid reason for importing more of them, because they are a drain on the economy.

Who else is going to buy all the bespoke dolphin placenta based shaving lather and mongolian yak hair lather brushes and Galapagan tortoise shell scuttles?  or employ the hordes of tibetan seamstresses that make nothing but really form fitting three button vests?

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

It's no good moaning now Sweetpants.  You had your chance to import some fresh talent and innovative thinking when I offered to come over and you blew it.

1 hour ago, onbike1939 said:

It's no good moaning now Sweetpants.  You had your chance to import some fresh talent and innovative thinking when I offered to come over and you blew it.

...you should come over.  Together, we could cut a memorable swath through the impressionable hipster chick community.:runcirclsmiley:

15 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...you should come over.  Together, we could cut a memorable swath through the impressionable hipster chick community.:runcirclsmiley:

You've left this a little late........unless these chicks are capable of helping me out of my chair and changing my diapers.

21 hours ago, late said:

We get invaded by a few million touristas every year. BuffJim is here right now. He suggested we meet for lunch, but I haven't heard back from him.

In any case, you'll get over it.

Assuming the rising property prices don't drive you into the desert, that is.

I’m on my way. Currently on Amtrak heading towards @F_in Ray Of Sunshine ‘s Neighborhood.  We’re still on for Thursday, I hope. Should we meet at Js Oyster House?  What time?  

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I’m on my way. Currently on Amtrak heading towards @F_in Ray Of Sunshine ‘s Neighborhood.  We’re still on for Thursday, I hope. Should we meet at Js Oyster House?  What time?  

Thursday will be fine. J's would be great, anyplace you want. I am not fussed about the time.  Anytime that fits into your plans.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

You've left this a little late........unless these chicks are capable of helping me out of my chair and changing my diapers.

...you can use this to good advantage.  Teh cutest hipster chicks are all bleeding hearts who want to care for the downtrodden.

4 hours ago, BuffJim said:

1 hour ago, late said:

Thursday will be fine. J's would be great, anyplace you want. I am not fussed about the time.  Anytime that fits into your plans.

BuffJim and Late. Don't tell me America doesn't work anymore. I hope you all have a great time.

I actually wish I was there with you all. I love that drive along the Maine coastline.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

This article will have no effect.  Hipsters will go to more scenic and "cool" hipster hangs, there is no social currency associated with going to Sacramento,  Remember they mentioned Sacramento's "lack of pretension"?  That kills it right there.

giphy.gif

• Heart 1