Tattoos That Resemble Bruises

Razors Edge

Many tattoos, when seen from a distance or, even more sadly, when viewed close up appear to look like bruises rather than art.  Is this caused by poor tattooing or is it just something that can happen to a tattoo over time?

I saw a younger woman the other day with a tattoo that was extremely crisp and detailed. There was no mistaking it as a bruise.  On the other hand, I routinely see folks out walking with unidentifiable drawings that are just a muddy mess.  And not just small tattoos that you could chalk up to a quick drunken decision, but rather larger and clearly "planned in some way" tattoos.

25 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Many tattoos, when seen from a distance or, even more sadly, when viewed close up appear to look like bruises rather than art.  Is this caused by poor tattooing or is it just something that can happen to a tattoo over time?

I saw a younger woman the other day with a tattoo that was extremely crisp and detailed. There was no mistaking it as a bruise.  On the other hand, I routinely see folks out walking with unidentifiable drawings that are just a muddy mess.  And not just small tattoos that you could chalk up to a quick drunken decision, but rather larger and clearly "planned in some way" tattoos.

From my understanding, they do fade somewhat over time and occasionally have to be refreshed to maintain them.