Do you want to move to Florida when you retire?

Road Runner

8 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I thought about it, but didn't.  Several of my friends and my ex have moved to FL recently.

I just don't see why it is so great to sweat a lot and run the AC all year round.   :scratchhead:

Thought about it, California, and even the Riviera (French Mediterranean Coast), but I have tons of close family members and several close friends in Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey who are all within a 4 hour drive.

If I didn't, I think several years in France, using it as a base to see other countries, then retiring in Southern California or Florida would suit me.

It also helps that Maryland has all the seasons but only one really hot summer month and not terribly cold or long winters and, as Frank Sinatra noted in "The Manchurian Candidate," "Maryland is a beautiful state."

20 hours ago, BR46 said:

The only reason I would move would be for tax purposes. 

This is an issue even when here. If I moved, the new home would be taxed at the new rate established by the sale, however the "Save Our Homes" discount/credit which limited appreciation for tax purposed to 3%/yr. Suspect my property tax would jump from $1600 to $3500/yr for the same value of house.

Income and Estate Taxes are very favorable to non-existent. Sales tax is competitive around 6.5%.  Have looked round. With son in CT, eliminated the entire NE either on taxes, including taxing Social Security income, or Estate Taxes. NC or VA - a days drive away is possible. With daughter in Switzerland, also have to consider International flights, where Orlando (and Tampa) have excellent connections including some non-stop, and of course Washington DC airports is a major connection and could be within a few hour drive.

Like Tiyeze, I think it helps to have family and good friends living in different parts of a country with different geographic/climate zones....more cost-effective, meaningful travel options.  THis assumes family members get along...which we generally do because we want to get together on visits.

At this time, I do have a nephew who will be the first family member from Canada, working in the U.S. After university he is seriously considering California because of high tech career opportunities. He's onto his 2nd employer in his paid internship work term in San Franscisco.  Then I don't have live in SF, but visit.  (We have a ton of lst cousins who we barely know in SF, but I have no comfort level to just pick up phone to even say hello out of the blue.)

I appreciate all this talk about lower taxes....but honest I live in Alberta which has had no sales tax for past few decades, no quarterly public health insurance premium payments, one of the lower property tax rates for big Canadian cities...yet they have cut out several hundred nurses in the province (when our population is growing (though abit more slowly now) and getting older), there's even talk of introducing private health care (how stupid and short-sighted for already a province with high unemployment for past few yrs.), etc.  I have noticed the grocery bill in Calgary is HIGHER than Vancouver or Toronto. Latter 2 cities are in major transportation hubs for more diverse local food produce that's closer, as well from the U.S.  Pricing at restaurants in Calgary is generally more expensive than Toronto and Vnacouver...with a lot less restaurant/cuisine options.  (But yes, Calgary has far cheaper real estate and only 100 km. away from Rocky Mtns.,/National Park.)

Because I work for a municipality, sure there is a reality that never ever goes away that needs constant funding:  transit builds for growing population/improving people's options, water /other utility and road infrastructure, all parks/public recreational facilities, etc. So how does Florida funds its infrastructure, services and ...flood damage if the property tax/estate/income tax is lower?  I don't get it.

3 hours ago, Tizeye said:

This is an issue even when here. If I moved, the new home would be taxed at the new rate established by the sale, however the "Save Our Homes" discount/credit which limited appreciation for tax purposed to 3%/yr. Suspect my property tax would jump from $1600 to $3500/yr for the same value of house.

Income and Estate Taxes are very favorable to non-existent. Sales tax is competitive around 6.5%.  Have looked round. With son in CT, eliminated the entire NE either on taxes, including taxing Social Security income, or Estate Taxes. NC or VA - a days drive away is possible. With daughter in Switzerland, also have to consider International flights, where Orlando (and Tampa) have excellent connections including some non-stop, and of course Washington DC airports is a major connection and could be within a few hour drive.

We looked at some states where you don't pay income tax and we looked at warmer than wisconsin states. Now we are thinking about staying here but head south in the motorhome for a month or two in the winter. The cost of living in this little town is so cheap I think that it would be stupid to try to live anywhere else besides all my stuff is here anyway.