Why Do I Feel So OLD :(

Razors Edge

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

...today?  Man, this 2nd half of life journey sure starts out with a lot more baggage than the first half did :(

But hey, no pimples or the whole puberty thing to look forward to at least :)

Check your mailbox.  Goodies will be arriving soon from AARP

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Have you looked at your 401(k) lately? Retirement looked a whole lot closer two months ago.

:(

Yeah, but I can't touch that money for 10 years. I think the 55 for her/56 for me plan is still in the cards, but the general chaos of recent years and this latest is tough on "planners". 

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

:(

Yeah, but I can't touch that money for 10 years. I think the 55 for her/56 for me plan is still in the cards, but the general chaos of recent years and this latest is tough on "planners". 

No, you can access your 401(k) from your current job (and anything you rolled over into it from previous jobs) without penalty, if you quit/retire after age 55. So IF your accounts rebound in time, that could be in play within your timeline.

Hanging out on the forum with us old guys should make you feel young. When I was in my fifties I was doing a local century ride and saw the route we were supposed to take. I know the area and they routed us on the longest, steepest road in the area. I was stopped at the stop sign at my last chance to go off route and avoid “Snake Hill” and “Fly on the wall”. I was trying to talk myself into doing that road when a guy ten years older than me rode up and asked if I was ok. I told him I was trying to decide what to do. He said you could have signed up for the 65 mile route if you didn’t want to do these hills but you signed up for the century. Come on, you can do it. It turns out he wasn’t from the area and had no idea why I was considering going off route. We both made it but he had to admit it was a lot tougher than he expected. I think of that guy every time I have a tough cycling challenge and figure if he can do it so can I.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Hanging out on the forum with us old guys should make you feel young. When I was in my fifties I was doing a local century ride and saw the route we were supposed to take. I know the area and they routed us on the longest, steepest road in the area. I was stopped at the stop sign at my last chance to go off route and avoid “Snake Hill” and “Fly on the wall”. I was trying to talk myself into doing that road when a guy ten years older than me rode up and asked if I was ok. I told him I was trying to decide what to do. He said you could have signed up for the 65 mile route if you didn’t want to do these hills but you signed up for the century. Come on, you can do it. It turns out he wasn’t from the area and had no idea why I was considering going off route. We both made it but he had to admit it was a lot tougher than he expected. I think of that guy every time I have a tough cycling challenge and figure if he can do it so can I.

I was averaging about 200 soccer games per year as a referee when I was in my 50's.  Unfortunately FIFA's mandatory retirement age was 55.  I could still work indoor games but by the time I was 57 I could no longer renew my certification.