The LGS debacle.

maddmaxx

You remember that I posted that I won't go to the big box LGS in my town.  Unfortunately my pharmacy is there and it's going to be very difficult to move all our prescriptions to another location.  I was smart enough to call the pharmacist, a lady I have known for years and she agreed to consolidate all of our prescriptions to a single date to limit our trips.  My oldest son went this afternoon to pick them up.

Mind, we have a state wide advisory to limit the number of people in a store and the limit includes only on person per family in the store.  The store was crowded.  The aisles were congested as people were seen to be collecting in groups to socialize.  As he left as quickly as possible a van parked next to him with an extended family who all went into the store.

The unbelievable thing is that a small market just about 5 miles down the road is never crowded.  They have no pharmacy though.

Fuck people.

• Sad 2

52 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Unfortunately my pharmacy is there and it's going to be very difficult to move all our prescriptions to another location. 

How does that work? Is it because you have to reach out to doctors' offices for the changes to be sent somewhere new?  I only use CVS or Costco pharmacies - mainly for dog meds.  I would think, with a big one like CVS, it would be easy to switch, but have no idea if that is true.

Luckily, it seems this will be a rare event if all the drugs are now synched up properly.

Yea, it's a problem.  There are overlapping expiration dates, some are written for 3 months some for a year.  Some are prescribed from different doctors for different reasons.  Some of the offices are open only on limited hours, womaxx's oncologist for example.  It's not insurmountable, but the pharmacy is just inside the door and one can get in and out without touching anything beyond the bags of medicine.

I'd hate to leave that pharmacist.  She has taken care of me when my medicine was removed from the market, quickly finding alternative sources or sizes.  She became good friends with womaxx during chemo.  In small town merica, there are still personal relationships, not just boxes to go into.

The rest of the store however sucks.

• Sad 2

We used Shopko pharmacy for years. They were the most accessible that worked with our insurance. They were also on the preferred list when I changed employers. When the Shopko closed, HyVee was the next on the preferred list near me so I went there. I've only had to use once and then for a refill, but I used to work with one of the pharmacists in a previous life so I go back. WoW has to use CVS for a couple prescriptions for her current insurance. It's a joke in comparison. I would rather use the bigger store's pharmacy. 

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

You remember that I posted that I won't go to the big box LGS in my town.  Unfortunately my pharmacy is there and it's going to be very difficult to move all our prescriptions to another location.  I was smart enough to call the pharmacist, a lady I have known for years and she agreed to consolidate all of our prescriptions to a single date to limit our trips.  My oldest son went this afternoon to pick them up.

Mind, we have a state wide advisory to limit the number of people in a store and the limit includes only on person per family in the store.  The store was crowded.  The aisles were congested as people were seen to be collecting in groups to socialize.  As he left as quickly as possible a van parked next to him with an extended family who all went into the store.

The unbelievable thing is that a small market just about 5 miles down the road is never crowded.  They have no pharmacy though.

Fuck people.

I've only been four places in April (park, gas station, pharmacy, supermarket) one time each and the people have been good with just a couple not-looking-where-they-were-going folks who I managed to avoid.  I was able to pick places away from the main highways and didn't have to deal with crowds.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

How does that work? Is it because you have to reach out to doctors' offices for the changes to be sent somewhere new?  I only use CVS or Costco pharmacies - mainly for dog meds.  I would think, with a big one like CVS, it would be easy to switch, but have no idea if that is true.

Luckily, it seems this will be a rare event if all the drugs are now synched up properly.

Yeah, the pharmacy and Dr have to be coordinated. If you change either you have to advise the other.  I recently changed Drs and then had to change insurance & pharmacies.  It’s not that big of a deal but if both aren’t in sync getting RX’s refilled can get delayed or stopped completely.

I use mail order so no need to pick anything up.

8 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

In small town merica, there are still personal relationships, not just boxes to go into.

In the town I just moved out of about 16 months ago, Walgreen's purchased the last ma & pa drug store and of course promptly closed the store.   That still seems wrong to me.  Maybe the owners wanted to retire (not sure).  

At least our LGS has a drive thru window (so does Walgreen's) for the pharmacy.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah, the pharmacy and Dr have to be coordinated.

No they don’t. You can walk into any pharmacy as and ask them to pull the prescriptions sent to another pharmacy. Even if the first pharmacy has filled them but you haven’t picked them up, they can cancel the fill so the second pharmacy can bill your insurance. It might take awhile, so best to call in advance, but it happens all of the time.

I’d try to find a pharmacy that delivers and switch to that one for the next 4-8 weeks.

15 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

The unbelievable thing is that a small market just about 5 miles down the road is never crowded. 

:) I love small local stores. As you know, I don't do big box stores...to many people...I don't like people :)  For drugs and such I use walgreens which is less than a mile from me.