Square Wheels Cycling

Aggressive snowbirds flying in every which way

Jeez, some snowbirds so desperate to head into the U.S. to their vacation pods, that they hire a company to drive their car from Quebec into NY near the border.  They themselves fly by a small charter plane to same border city in US.  Meet their car ...and drive further into the U.S.

Aggressive birds.  New business ventures help Canadian snowbirds circumvent a closed U.S. land border | CBC News  And everyone thinks Canadians are "nice". Maybe kinda dumb too.

• Haha 1

There's a major roadblock on the route for many snowbirds. The I-75 bridge over the Ohio River in Cincinnati is closed until at least Christmas. The bypasses are a crawl.

• Like 1

When does snowbird season open and what is the best load to use?  Is there a limit?  Recipe ideas?

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, jsharr said:

When does snowbird season open and what is the best load to use?  Is there a limit?  Recipe ideas?

00buck and grilled

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

There's a major roadblock on the route for many snowbirds. The I-75 bridge over the Ohio River in Cincinnati is closed until at least Christmas. The bypasses are a crawl.

Old#7 bypass: from NY, I-81 south to Knoxville TN Jed. Pick up I-75 south thereabouts. Behave when entering VA, radar detectors are illegal in the state. Toot yer horn for @Zealot when passing Martinsburg WV. That is all y’all 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Our snowy, cold winter in most provinces, starts in November...which coincides when it's mild warmth in the southern states.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Our snowy, cold winter in most provinces, starts in November...which coincides when it's mild warmth in the southern states.

Whoosh!

I'm guessing Texicans BBQ their snowbirds. Beats Canadian Bacon.

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, dennis said:

Whoosh!

I'm guessing Texicans BBQ their snowbirds. Beats Canadian Bacon.

I am such a klutz, that I wasn't even aware of this satirical movie.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Maybe there is a recipe in here

Food for Hunters: Review: Duck, Duck, Goose by Hank Shaw

or here

Pheasant, Quail, Cottontail by Hank Shaw | Chelsea Green ...

• Like 1

Canadian snowbirds are meely, sinuous and lack seasoning.  Tenderize them first..., before or after is up to you, and marinate them well.

• Haha 1
Just now, Zephyr said:

Canadian snowbirds are meely, sinuous and lack seasoning.  Tenderize them first..., before or after is up to you, and marinate them well.

taFYJUm_d.jpg

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Old#7 bypass: from NY, I-81 south to Knoxville TN Jed. Pick up I-75 south thereabouts. Behave when entering VA, radar detectors are illegal in the state. Toot yer horn for @Zealot when passing Martinsburg WV. That is all y’all 

Stop for a break- coffee, a meal, a beer. Kick off your shoes and sit a spell.  😊 

• Awesome 2
23 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Aggressive snowbirds flying in every which way

Seems more pro-active and wise in their actions than aggressive.  I certainly wouldn't want to get stuck in the near Arctic tundra - especially if I had a 2nd home in a warm climate.  I'd call them morans if they let a place they spent good $$$ on buying and maintaining and spent a cold winter up north.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Seems more pro-active and wise in their actions than aggressive.  I certainly wouldn't want to get stuck in the near Arctic tundra - especially if I had a 2nd home in a warm climate.  I'd call them morans if they let a place they spent good $$$ on buying and maintaining and spent a cold winter up north.

See, I’d love to do this in reverse.  I wish I had a place up north to spend a winter in.  I’d love to harsh it out through a subarctic winter.  My wife in the other hand would not, so I never have. 

3 minutes ago, Zealot said:

See, I’d love to do this in reverse.  I wish I had a place up north to spend a winter in.  I’d love to harsh it out through a subarctic winter.  My wife in the other hand would not, so I never have. 

TONS of empty homes up there in the winter.  Just do it! AirBnB it!

I'd spend months at a ski area (like Dennis) if I was retired.  I love snow where snow should be, but can't stand cold for the sake of cold :( 

I don't like snow.

I don't like cold.

I like Florida in the summer.

So wtf am I still here.  (I'll go ask womaxx)

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

So wtf am I still here. 

Probably because you haven't bought a place yet.  Go ahead and buy a "winter" or "vacation" place, and then use it.  The millions of snowbirds are on to something!

Mrs wants to move near Savannah Georgia to be near the grandkids. Not sure I'm willing to give up my winters yet. 

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Probably because you haven't bought a place yet.  Go ahead and buy a "winter" or "vacation" place, and then use it.  The millions of snowbirds are on to something!

Sure, I'll just run out and buy a place.

• Awesome 1
1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

So wtf am I still here.  (I'll go ask womaxx)

Some questions are best left unasked...

Just now, Kzoo said:

Some questions are best left unasked...

And why he should just go buy a place in Florida.  Nickname it "The Dog House" and when he gets sent there, its a WIN-WIN!

3 hours ago, team scooter said:

Mrs wants to move near Savannah Georgia to be near the grandkids. Not sure I'm willing to give up my winters yet. 

Off topic:  dearie did meet the singer Anne Murray decades ago at a party in Toronto.

While true, many days of snow, ice and temp. below -10 degrees C can be hard, I do like living with 4 distinct seasons.  So for me, VAncouver is the best compromise...you can see snow in teh mountains near the city....so just take a 45 min. transit bus ride to the area with snowshoes, etc.  

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Off topic:  dearie did meet the singer Anne Murray decades ago at a party in Toronto.

While true, many days of snow, ice and temp. below -10 degrees C can be hard, I do like living with 4 distinct seasons.  So for me, VAncouver is the best compromise...you can see snow in teh mountains near the city....so just take a 45 min. transit bus ride to the area with snowshoes, etc.  

Just so you know.  It may be subtle but Florida has 4 seasons too.  Early Summer.  Summer.  Late Summer.  Next Summer.

• Haha 1