Can someone tell me the difference between these two tvs?

jsharr

https://www.hisense-usa.com/tv-and-audio/televisions/all-tvs/55R8F5_4k-uled-hisense-roku-smart-tv-2020

https://www.hisense-usa.com/tv-and-audio/televisions/all-tvs/55H8G_quantum-4k-uled-hisense-android-smart-tv-2020

I think the R is a Roku and the H is an Android, but other than that not sure if they are identical.  $30 cheaper for the R.    Buying my Birthmasday present a bit early tomorrow.  55" is as big as will go in the space where our TV is mounted, or I would go with a 65"

Consumer Reports rates the 55R8F as a 58 which is middle of the road.  Here's what the heading says: "A 55-inch LCD (LED) 4K UHD TV from Hisense, with 2160p resolution, four HDMI inputs, no component-video inputs, and one USB port. This TV is internet enabled." If you are using just HDMI inputs, that would be OK. It can pick up WiFi for the internet.

Highs

Excellent color accuracy

Very Good 4K UHD picture quality

Lows

Very limited HDR performance

Limited viewing angle

Dark scenes may reveal some "halo" effects

Roku Mobile App needed to access some useful picture settings

The 55H8 series is also middle of the road but they don't have an actual review of the 55H8G. The 55H8F scores a 62. Here's what it says: "A 55-inch LCD (LED) 4K UHD TV from Hisense, with 2160p resolution, and a claimed 240-hertz refresh rate (may not be true native frame rate), four HDMI inputs, no component-video inputs, and two USB ports. This TV is internet enabled."

Highs

Excellent color accuracy

Superior, deep black levels, with local dimming

Excellent 4K UHD picture quality

Lows

HDR has limited effectiveness

Narrow viewing angle

Some "halos" in dark scenes

They both do have the old coax cable inputs plus RJ-45 LAN inputs. It also shows the old Red, White, Yellow A/V inputs.

I'd spend the extra money for the faster refresh rate if nothing else.

3 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Consumer Reports rates the 55R8F as a 58 which is middle of the road.  Here's what the heading says: "A 55-inch LCD (LED) 4K UHD TV from Hisense, with 2160p resolution, four HDMI inputs, no component-video inputs, and one USB port. This TV is internet enabled." If you are using just HDMI inputs, that would be OK. It can pick up WiFi for the internet.

Highs

Excellent color accuracy

Very Good 4K UHD picture quality

Lows

Very limited HDR performance

Limited viewing angle

Dark scenes may reveal some "halo" effects

Roku Mobile App needed to access some useful picture settings

The 55H8 series is also middle of the road but they don't have an actual review of the 55H8G. The 55H8F scores a 62. Here's what it says: "A 55-inch LCD (LED) 4K UHD TV from Hisense, with 2160p resolution, and a claimed 240-hertz refresh rate (may not be true native frame rate), four HDMI inputs, no component-video inputs, and two USB ports. This TV is internet enabled."

Highs

Excellent color accuracy

Superior, deep black levels, with local dimming

Excellent 4K UHD picture quality

Lows

HDR has limited effectiveness

Narrow viewing angle

Some "halos" in dark scenes

They both do have the old coax cable inputs plus RJ-45 LAN inputs. It also shows the old Red, White, Yellow A/V inputs.

I'd spend the extra money for the faster refresh rate if nothing else.

Rtings likes the Hisense brand.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch#recommendation_167969

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You can have it for free.  I will put it out on the front porch for you.

Perfect. Put it on the tv tray next to the couch. Knock the empties onto the floor. They're returnables, so don't break them. The neighbors like to come over and watch Dobbie Gillis. 

Rabbit ears included or do you use a coat hanger and foil?

• Heart 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

It used to be that Sony was king, but they were dethroned by Samsung.  Samsung is now king and they rock for picture quality.  I would just go to Costco and buy a Samsung  55" incher there and call it good.

The 4k model? Or just any old Samsung 55"?

33 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

The 4k model? Or just any old Samsung 55"?

Aren't they all 4K now?   Awesome tv's are now pretty cheap, I don't know that you can go wrong these days with a Samsung.  I generally am dismissive of brand loyalty, but I think they have a well-deserved reputation at this point.

34 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Aren't they all 4K now?   Awesome tv's are now pretty cheap, I don't know that you can go wrong these days with a Samsung.  I generally am dismissive of brand loyalty, but I think they have a well-deserved reputation at this point.

I do not have a Costco membership, but as I understand it, TV prices are universal now and you pay the same for the same model at Costco, Sams, WalMart, BestBuy, Amazon, etc.

13 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I do not have a Costco membership, but as I understand it, TV prices are universal now and you pay the same for the same model at Costco, Sams, WalMart, BestBuy, Amazon, etc.

So go into a Sams, WalMart, BestBuy, Amazon, etc. and buy a Samsung  55" incher there and call it good.

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

https://www.hisense-usa.com/tv-and-audio/televisions/all-tvs/55R8F5_4k-uled-hisense-roku-smart-tv-2020

https://www.hisense-usa.com/tv-and-audio/televisions/all-tvs/55H8G_quantum-4k-uled-hisense-android-smart-tv-2020

I think the R is a Roku and the H is an Android, but other than that not sure if they are identical.  $30 cheaper for the R.    Buying my Birthmasday present a bit early tomorrow.  55" is as big as will go in the space where our TV is mounted, or I would go with a 65"

App support.   Some smart TV aps are not allowed through some sources.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

App support.   Some smart TV aps are not allowed through some sources.

So the R is a roku and the H is an android, I know that.  Something about a mega dot screen on the H as well?

A bit concerned about the view angles, but our den is not that large and this will be repalcing a 44" Samsung that is getting old, does not respond to remote any longer, etc.

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So the R is a roku and the H is an android, I know that.  Something about a mega dot screen on the H as well?

A bit concerned about the view angles, but our den is not that large and this will be repalcing a 44" Samsung that is getting old, does not respond to remote any longer, etc.

I know nothing of mega dots.  I own a TCL Roku 4K.  Youngest son owns a Sony.  He is envious of my aps.  He informs me that on our cable system (internet provider as well) a Sony and a Samsung for example have different aps that are allowed.  Nominally they are both Android TV's.

16 minutes ago, jsharr said:

44" Samsung

Assuming you just plan to trash the TV, I'd at least try this route of fixing the individual IR sensor.  If you know your model of TV, you can google the parts list.  If you don't, you just open the TV up, find the IR sensor, and see what the part number is on it.  If the part is available, order it, and now you have a TV for the kids room, garage, basement, or wherever else.

IOW, if it is trash otherwise, might as well see if you can fix it first and if you fuck it up, it is still just trash. If you fix it, it is a WIN!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Assuming you just plan to trash the TV, I'd at least try this route of fixing the individual IR sensor.  If you know your model of TV, you can google the parts list.  If you don't, you just open the TV up, find the IR sensor, and see what the part number is on it.  If the part is available, order it, and now you have a TV for the kids room, garage, basement, or wherever else.

IOW, if it is trash otherwise, might as well see if you can fix it first and if you fuck it up, it is still just trash. If you fix it, it is a WIN!

Not gonna happen.  At least not by me.  I plan to give the TV to someone.  Have another in the garage they can have as well that came home from the office and needs the LEDs replaced.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Do TVs still have capacitors? 

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

A bit concerned about the view angles,

My old (OK ancient) 50" Panasonic plasma (still being used) has great viewing angles.    My 2 year old 55" LG OLED has great viewing angles and a great picture.   Viewing a quality picture from different parts of a room was one of my top criteria. 

Then again... the OLED will cost more.  

19 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

My old (OK ancient) 50" Panasonic plasma (still being used) has great viewing angles.    My 2 year old 55" LG OLED has great viewing angles and a great picture.   Viewing a quality picture from different parts of a room was one of my top criteria. 

Then again... the OLED will cost more.  

I have an old 50" Panasonic plasma, I would like to buy a "smart" TV, but there isn't a thing wrong with the Panasonic. And I'm not sure if I want a TV that is smarter than me.

• Heart 1

I may be buying a Hisense 40 in. 1080p H4 Series Roku Smart TV 40H4F tomorrow. I have a TV that's having the sound cut out for a couple of seconds sometimes as often as 4 times a minute. It's only happening on certain cable channels. I haven't seen it happening on our other TV hooked up to cable nor OTA or Roku. The cable guy came out and couldn't find anything wrong but gave us a new cable box plus HDMI cable. Didn't fix it.

This morning I hooked up our other TV to the cable box where the trouble TV is plugged in. So far not sound dropouts. 

I'm going with a 40" TV as it will go into a wall unit barely. I may even have to put it in at a slight angle. The TV in there now is a 39" (which is 34.8" wide) and barely fits. Doesn't seem to be anyone making 39" TVs anymore. The TV I'm considering buying is 35.6" wide. Less than an inch difference but, as I said before, it's a tight fit.

I bought the Hicense for a monitor and just bought the $100 roku hardware device I can use anywhere. In fact, I'm using both those at my mother in law's house. The whole portable installation took me about 15 minutes for a monitor that has cable tv and can provide 4k to 3 different laptops. Pinch.

• Heart 1

On 12/11/2020 at 11:42 AM, Randomguy said:

It used to be that Sony was king, but they were dethroned by Samsung.  Samsung is now king (for the last 12 - 15 years or so) and they rock for picture quality.  I would just go to Costco and buy a Samsung  55" incher there and call it good.

My last TV was a 55" Samsung Smart (Wifi with internet apps: Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, etc. etc.) from Costco, and HDTV several years back.  Not only was it cheaper at $799 than anywhere else, they had an instant coupon in the Costco monthly flyer for $150 off and Costco adds an extra year to electronic product warranties.  They had an unusually cheap 3-year extended do-anything-and-we'll-replacve-it warranty for around $50 and, knowing I wasn't going to be mounting it on the wall and someone might bump into it, I got it.

I also did some research online before buying and rtings.com had lots of info on lots of TVs down to quality when viewing at an angle and they loved the Samsung model I got.  I had a fantastic picture quality.

With it, for the first time in my life, with the picture on "dynamic" mode, I could see reds and pinks my partial color blindness hid from me. I realized "Marie" on "Everybody Loves Raymond" always wears something red or pink.

I'll make sure I get such a picture quality with the 4K TV I end up with.

When I move back into my rebuilt house next year, I'll be looking in Costco, taking pictures of the model numbers, then checking them out on sites like rtings.com.