Guess what I just drove!

12string

1 minute ago, 12string said:

IMG_20210124_115252604_HDR.thumb.jpg.d1b92b2ff29a1feaae47eaf9fc17a886.jpg

First time it's rolled in almost a year!  I missed this! 

This car is nearly unstoppable!  Literally, there's still a ton of air somewhere in the brakes.

So is it ready to be sold? I would have let the buyer figure all that stuff out on their own and offered a $100 off list.

• Heart 1

That car was a blast before I did the upgrades.  Hard to tell now, I had the entire suspension off so the alignment is toast.  And without brakes and a valve still sticking, had to take it easy.  But the engine sounds great with the new exhaust.

Still needs a bunch of things put back in the interior, paint will wait for spring.  And the left rear turn signal bulb blew.  Not sure I want to dig all the way in to changing the bulb, maybe I will sell it

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, 12string said:

That car was a blast before I did the upgrades.  Hard to tell now, I had the entire suspension off so the alignment is toast.  And without brakes and a valve still sticking, had to take it easy.  But the engine sounds great with the new exhaust.

Still needs a bunch of things put back in the interior, paint will wait for spring.  And the left rear turn signal bulb blew.  Not sure I want to dig all the way in to changing the bulb, maybe I will sell it

My 16 year old wants a Mazda 3 hatch.  Will you deliver to Texas?

1 minute ago, 12string said:

It's a 2001.  When we bought it, I promised my wife that if we spent that much, we'd keep it for at least 20 years.  When we bought the Audi, I just couldn't part with this car.  Too much fun.  So I took it a part and rebuilt it funner for the next 20 years.

Gotcha!  I'm happy I didn't make that promise with either of our current cars! 

5 hours ago, 12string said:

there's still a ton of air somewhere in the brakes

Some cars have a 'procedure' to purge the air from the ABS module.   Or you just have air in the lines.

My list of what's important for a car;

1) brakes

2) steering

3) everything else.

18 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

offered a $100 off list.

And when I suggested $100 of "list" I wasn't aware that VW GTI owners are a bunch of over-charging jerks!  I now say "offer $1,400 off list"!  Man, KBB must either have wacky numbers or there is a GTI bubble!

image.png.d3e50648c98b64ee5420ee3b6ee3ca85.png

replies in no order:

CHICK CAR?!  hmmpf.  Although, I had to buy my wife the Audi to get my hands back on the GTI.  Now if I let her drive it, I may end up with the Audi.

No engine mods, Can't get more out of this without spending big $$$ on a turbo.  I did replace all the way down to timing gear. And did some cleaning up and painting.  And a 3" exhaust, got me maybe 10HP and great sound.  Replaced the whole suspension with a lot of poly bushings and a 1.5" drop.

GTIs are overpriced because owners just can't let them go.

IMG_20201121_150538964.thumb.jpg.0aa273121437405486d510f3084b0030.jpg

• Heart 1