What is the secret to have tender beef when making stew?

Randomguy

Depends on the cut. I've had some beef cubes that got harder by leaving them in the crock pot for hours. I had assumed the same thing. I usually do like jsharr said his mom does. I'll often roll it in flour and brown it for a bit first. Another rule (from what I learned above about not getting softer) is to get good meat...not some super cheap stew meat. Get a good cut and cut it up into cubes yourself. I think you'll have better luck that way.

Fixed it.

With stews you can get away with a cheap cut of meat.  The slow cooking will break down the fibers.

Doesn't always work. Seems logical to me, but I've had a few stew beef cuts of meat before that didn't break down. They got tough.

probably not enough fat in them then....though the slow cooker actually breaks down the collagen in the meat as well.  That's why the meat falls apart the way it does. 

Could be. I'm not sure what was different about the meat (I wasn't expecting it to happen, so didn't pay attention ahead of time), but it happened to me a couple of times.

Doesn't always work. Seems logical to me, but I've had a few stew beef cuts of meat before that didn't break down. They got tough.

Yep, I've had this happen too - not sure why.

I'm pretty sure any beef stew recipe is going to call for flouring and browning the meat first.  Not only does the browning increase flavor but the flour thickens the gravy.

But that reminds me; I made a pot of beef stew last winter and the kids loved it.  Need to do that again.  don't forget the parsnips!

But that reminds me; I made a pot of beef stew last winter and the kids loved it.  Need to do that again.  don't forget the parsnips!

I actually make beef or bean stew type dishes quite often and then freeze them on serving sized containers. They are great to pull out in the morning to take to work for lunch.

With the tougher cuts of meat you need to cut your cubes or strips a little thinner in the cross grain direction. If you are using a lower fat cut of meat marinade it in the fridge overnight in a citrus juice of your choice or, if you don't want the citrus flavor in the meat, use papaya enzyme. It will break down the fibers without imparting much flavor of it's own.

Use chuck roast. If you're using pre-cut chunks, then brown them in small batches so they have room in the pan to get a good sear.  If they don't sear, they'll steam, and you'll know that's happening because they turn gray and are swimming in "juices".  They'll only ever be tough meat once they've steamed.

If you have a whole chuck roast, sear it good and brown on all sides first and then cut it into chunks before you cook it low and slow for 2-3 hours, depending on how much meat.  Any longer than three hours, and it gets stringy.  I'm a red wine in the beef stew person, too.  

Add veggies at about 45 minutes until time to serve. Tough herbs like rosemary, thyme and bay can be added early on with the meat, but soft herbs like parsley should wait until ten minutes before serving.  

I am doing it like this chick in the video:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30301-easy-beef-stew

I didn't use wine, and I only had one pound of beef, but I think it will be fine when done.  Btw, thanks for the advice on not steaming the meat, RS, I probably would have ended up doing that otherwise!

Also, I have a couple of purple yams, should I throw that in with the veggies?

Yam would be fine.

I would go...carrots or turnips, then potato/yam, then onion and garlic, etc.  

Don't forget a garnish of fresh parsley on top during plating.

And crusty bread.   :nod head:

Onions were in before the beef was returned to pan.  I have the carrots, I figured they would cook quickly, at least more quickly than the potatoes and yamsy's, and add the celery last after the carrots.

Stew is labor intensive.

Depends on the size of your chunks.  I add onions later, because I hate onion mush.

Stew is easy as hell.  Chicken Kiev is labor intensive.  ;)

Well, stew is fussy as hell, anyway.  You have to follow lots of steps, add things at this time, add things at that time, bleh!

This better be awesome stew, or I will be pissed!

Looks great.  Good job!

Thank you.  The purple yams are disintegrating, but taste good.

I wish it was earthier.   I guess vidalia onions are to blame for the slight lack of earthiness.  I added pepper to compensate.

Rice will be ready in a minute, then I will tear it up.

Thank you.  The purple yams are disintegrating, but taste good.

I wish it was earthier.   I guess vidalia onions are to blame for the slight lack of earthiness.  I added pepper to compensate.

Rice will be ready in a minute, then I will tear it up.

Rice?  No crusty bread?   :mellow:

Rice?  No crusty bread?   :mellow:

Nah, bread is evil, although rice is only slightly less evil. 

Damn purple yams turned the stew purple as they disintegrated.  The stew is pleasant, although not quite ready for a winter day just yet.  I will yellow-onion it up next time and leave out the yam, and I might add cayenne pepper to the flouring the meat portion to add some small amount of heat.

I remember my mom making a roux then I believe she tossed the meat in..we had this old iron pot that was for stew...growing up there was beef stew with potatoes, carrots, celery & onion...and kidney stew that was kindeys & potato... Unfortunately..I don't remember her making the kidney stew at the time I had started cooking...and I don't think I paid much attention with beef stew.  So when I tried to make it a could of times it was not very good.  I think I asked for recipe advice in a Christmas letter or something...anyway a friend of my aunts sent me an easy stew...and although it isn't moms and it isn't fancy...it is pretty easy and not fail...just diced up potato, carrot, onion, celery, and meat...beef broth, a tiny bit of sugar, some tapioca for thickening, salt & pepper and beef broth...in a covered casserole dish at 200 or 250 for...like 4 or 5 hours...I have added frozen peas during the last hour...just to heat them.  It's not too bad...and easy,

Beef and Guinness Stew

Yield:6 servings
Level:Easy
Ingredients

2 pounds stewing beef
3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of cayenne
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tablespoons tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
1 1/4 cups Guinness
2 cups largely diced carrots
Sprig of fresh thyme
Chopped parsley, for garnish
Directions

Trim the meat of any fat or gristle, and cut into 2-inch cubes. Toss beef with 1 tablespoon of the oil. In a small bowl, season the flour with salt, pepper and cayenne. Toss meat with seasoned flour. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over high heat. Brown the meat on all sides. Reduce the heat, add the onions, crushed garlic and tomato puree to the skillet, cover, and cook gently for 5 minutes. Transfer the contents of the skillet to a casserole and pour half of the Guinness into the skillet. Bring Guinness to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan. Pour over the meat, along with the remaining Guinness. Add the carrots and thyme. Stir and adjust seasonings. Cover the casserole and simmer over low heat, or in a 300 degree F oven until the meat is tender, 2 to 3 hours. Garnish the beef with parsley and serve.