My route to work is circuitous.

Dirtyhip

The neighbor’s pug always likes to chase me. I can’t stop laughing. The next farm up the road has two dogs that will chase me but they usually start from the house and start barking as soon as they see me. That gives me plenty of time to get my speed up. Airport road has two dogs that need educated. They are fast and big. I should stop and wait for them with a can of HALT in each hand.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The neighbor’s pug always likes to chase me. I can’t stop laughing. The next farm up the road has two dogs that will chase me but they usually start from the house and start barking as soon as they see me. That gives me plenty of time to get my speed up. Airport road has two dogs that need educated. They are fast and big. I should stop and wait for them with a can of HALT in each hand.

The cattle dogs are fun.  I always worry that they will break their teeth on my pedal.  There is one in particular that is slightly terrifying.  I know he is herding, but still.  Seems like he wants to bite my foot.  There is one silly dog, an Airedale @Airehead.  He comes out grumbling and biting at my foot and I stopped and just said "WHat?"  He just stared at me.  It was a game to that dog.  I haven't seen him for a couple months.  I look forward to seeing him soon.  Hope he still lives there.  

• Heart 1

I used to pass a farm dog regularly, he would be laying in front of the barn, just off the road and chase me for a hundred feet or so 

He looked like he had some Border Collie in him and he was fast. He liked to bark at the pedals, and I didn’t mind, he was just doing what a herding dog does 

One day he got a little aggressive and bit my ankle, hard enough to draw a little blood. That put things in a different light.

Next time past him I had my frame pump in hand, and when he came in for my ankle I cracked him on the nose

He stopped dead and when I looked back he was just sitting in the road watching me ride away 

Next time past him, all he did was raise his head and watch me go past 

I kind of felt bad for ruining his game, but he was the one who took up a level with the biting 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

If you have the opportunity to take a circuit-ous route, don't be a   resistor   to the idea.  The longer route with help you   amp   up your   power   output over time, and soon the route will be hard  wired  in your brain.

There's one park where I walk Jake sometimes and all the often-there dogs know each other and don't bark but sniff to say hello.

The white tail deer are sometimes grazing 20 feet away from the trail we walk, look up, see it's us and, knowing we won't bother them go back to grazing.

But I took Jake there for the first time since May yesterday and he was busy sniffing everywhere to see who had been there lately and marking spots to let the other dogs know he was back!

• Haha 1