I Sense A Real Issue With Credit Cards

Razors Edge

When one of my cards that can't really be shredded expired, I got some sort of special mailing envelope with the new card to return the old one so that they could destroy it.  I ended up cutting it up on my own, but the mailer was probably a better idea.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...in that mine are no longer "shreddable" :(  These damn metal cards are NOT shredder friendly.  Am I supposed to toss them in a drawer as they expire and are replaced? :frantics:

I haven't gotten anything no plastic yet.  I had a bunch that expired in 2020 and were a bitch to get replaced during the pandemic.  I've got a year or more before any more expire.

If I get metal cards, when it expires I guess I'll use one of those drill-bit grinding wheels to grind off the numbers.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Scissors?  

No pal. They have twelve step programs for shredder myopia. But you are going to have to be fierce and thorough from the start. This deal is going to demand rigorous honesty, ask you to acknowledge a power greater than yourself, turn your life over to it, make a fearless moral inventory of yourself, share that with another human being, call out your defects, have your higher power remove those defects, make amends to all those shredders you’ve harmed, and live a clean life while in constant contact with your higher power and ask ONLY for the will to carry out what that super power wants from you.

There's another potential problem.  Merchants are screaming about credit card fees they're paying.

I used to pay for everything in cash that I practically could, because the act of taking money out of my wallet put a brake on spending.

But now it is more expensive to pay with cash than with cash-back cards.  I got over $1000 back last year, using them as statement credits and seldom use cash anymore.

I have several credit cards and can always get 2% to 5% cash-back and average 3%.

Some of that has to be recovered in fees charged to merchants.

Of course, the merchants have to raise prices a percent of more to account for those fees, meaning the poor people paying with cash are subsidizing those of us paying with cash-back cards.

So, there have been some articles in the Wall St. Journal and Yahoo Finance about the possibility of cash-back becoming minimized or a thing of the past.  If so, it may all balance out, though we may no longer be subsidized by the cash-paying poor at Walmart (currently with a 2% cash-back Capital One Walmart Mastercard, 5% first year, 5% online) etc.

5 hours ago, MickinMD said:

If I get metal cards, when it expires I guess I'll use one of those drill-bit grinding wheels to grind off the numbers.

1 hour ago, groupw said:

I have a tape head degausser. I bet if I ran that across the strip and chip, data theft from that would be wiped out. 

If your card has a chip in it, you will need to do more than that.  an EMP generator might work, but an easier idea would be a bench grinder to reduce it to dust, unless you can fin where the chip is embedded.