Vinegar in soup

BuffJim

27 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Anybody try this. I’m told if it’s done judiciously, it can add some pop to the flavors. I’m making Vegetarian Chicken soup with Andouille Sausage. Besides for the chicken and the sausage it’s fully Vegan.

Not yet. How much vinegar and type of vinegar to be added?

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Not yet. How much vinegar and type of vinegar to be added?

Google says to use Apple cider vinegar, but we haven’t any. So I’ll use about a teaspoonful of white vinegar. Not very much for the size pot I’m making.

• Heart 1

There are a couple different styles of soup that I have added apple cider vinegar to in the past.. it dies add a different level of flavor profile to the soup, but the kids did not like it as much as I did. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Anybody try this. I’m told if it’s done judiciously, it can add some pop to the flavors. I’m making Vegetarian Chicken soup with Andouille Sausage. Besides for the chicken and the sausage it’s fully Vegan.

So, except for the meat it has no meat.  Kool.

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah I have and do addd vinegar to some cooked veg for a bit of “pop”.  

It occurred to me, one could try a bit of rice vinegar  (normally used for flavouring cooked rice, then cooled for making sushi..)  I would not expect anyone to have this here.

From Asian food side.   There is a Chinese black vinegar.   

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

It occurred to me, one could try a bit of rice vinegar  (normally used for flavouring cooked rice, then cooled for making sushi..)  I would not expect anyone to have this here.

From Asian food side.   There is a Chinese black vinegar.   

I put it in my ramen stock.

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

It worked out well. Multiple compliments from BuffCarla, even though she was nonplussed that I substituted lentils and corn instead of potatoes. Didn’t notice the vinegar, but I only used a teaspoon. 
Plenty leftover for Monday or Tuesday dinner.

• Heart 2
  • Yum 1

Nice work, both cooking and vocabulary . :)

https://squarewheelscycling.com/index.php?/search/&q=Nonplussed&quick=1&item=172077&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

AND, you deserve some potatoe pointes for using nonplussed properly, to mean perplexed, as opposed to the semantic drift of using it as nonchalant, unconcerned, not bothered.  Or at least that is what I get from your context, but it could go either way. :D

https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar/nonplussed

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1