The miracle on ice

Gump

7 minutes ago, Gump said:

Was 44 years ago today. I was fortunate enough to be there in person. A couple days later I was at the USA v Finland gold medal game. Great memories😁

That is awesome.  

I was 6.  

Loved the movie.  Though I don't remember the actual event I love hearing about those kinds of things. 

8 minutes ago, Gump said:

Was 44 years ago today. I was fortunate enough to be there in person. A couple days later I was at the USA v Finland gold medal game. Great memories😁

That's pretty awesome!  Never been to the Olympics for any event, so being there for a "big" one like that is a great story.

My cousin Matt told me the other day that he played pee wee hockey with Dave Silk and against him while in high school (Cohasset vs Scituate). Matt said that after the Olympics were over, there was a two day party at the Silk’s house and he wore the gold medal while drinking heavily. Matt brought this up as he attended a fund raiser where Bruins alumni played a team of kids with special needs. Dave told him, it’s nice to see you and it’s not even a funeral. 

• Heart 2

45 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Funny to think 44 yrs ago, 100% of Americans thought the Russians were the "bad guys" and pulling for the US to win.  Today, my guess is 30% or so would feel the Russian's are the better team to pull for. :dontknow:

Indeed, that's the 30% or so of Americans who are fucked up. Some even think Putin is a great leader.

• Like 1

I was a foreman at a factory in Danville IL, working 2nd shift.  My uncle was a foreman there as well, also on 2nd shift.  He told me "the Americans beat the Russians in hockey tonight!".  I was able to watch the gold medal game on the weekend.

• Heart 1

Clearly my inconsistent hockey game watching would show here:

1972 Summit series - Canada vs. Russia.  Was a huge deal. In our school, they wheeled big t.v.'s into the gym where we watched. 

2010 Winter Olympics in VAncouver - watched on stores' tv monitors. the final game CAnada vs. U.S., where CAnada won gold ...in a cafe/deli eating section with dearie...of a grocery store, not far from home.  We wanted to be with other people to watch. The whole shop was crowded for the shared experience. 'Course everyone went nuts at the winning goal.   There were people even gathered in front of furniture store big TVs, for this freebie collective group experience.