Upset Stomach

MickinMD

I haven't had an upset stomach for ages, but yesterday and today I got one, fortunately not bad enough to heave, perhaps due to new diabetes meds.

I decided to eat something to calm my stomach down, so breakfast was cheerios and banana with almond milk and a mug of 2% milk.

My stomach's settled but still sore today and I'm going to run out to get Pepto Bismol, so I thought I'd check on what I should be eating.

The two suppers-worth of homemade chicken soup I have in the freezer are on the online lists and I'll pick up some yogurt and have that or more cereal for lunch.

From the web:

"Chicken soup is a staple for upset stomachs for a reason. It provides vitamins, protein and other nutrients, and it can help keep you hydrated. You don't need to use a lot of different ingredients to get the benefits either."

"If your stomach is upset, Mills recommends eating: Warm cereals like Cream of Wheat, Cream of Rice and oatmeal. Cold cereals like Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Rice Chex and Special K. English muffin (halved) with peanut butter.

“Constipation almost always goes hand in hand with bloating and gas, which result from all the pressure that builds up,” Dr. Lee explains. “To relieve all three symptoms, stick with foods that help you go.”

When you need help going, fiber is your best friend. Soluble fiber breaks down in the digestive tract and acts as a natural stool softener. This helps bowel movements along and eases constipation.

Foods high in soluble fiber include:

• Vegetables, especially green beans, carrots and broccoli.
  • Fruits, such as Bing cherries, berries, apples and pears.
  • Prune or apple juice, which also helps with hydration.
  • Quinoa, which is technically a seed.
  • Whole grains, such as oatmeal, whole-wheat bread and bran cereal.

Food also can include insoluble fiber that moves through your digestive tract without breaking down. It is found in foods like leafy greens, dried fruit and nuts.

Avoid foods that are overly processed and low in fiber, such as:

• Fast food.
  • Frozen meals.
  • Packaged snacks.

• Sad 1

My stomach was upset over the weekend, and surprisingly, I found untoasted bagels to be just the thing!  That and some ginger tummy drops.

• Heart 2

19 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

"Chicken soup is a staple for upset stomachs for a reason. It provides vitamins, protein and other nutrients, and it can help keep you hydrated. You don't need to use a lot of different ingredients to get the benefits either."

Ok, this makes zero sense, none of those aspects does a damn thing for an upset stomach. The whole of what you posted sounds like a bot site that just copies and rewords any article that starts with "health", and then literally ANY keyword or condition you type in will guide you to their stupid listicle.

Upset stomach is such a broad term, what does it mean?  Bloated?  Gassy?  Heartburny?  Reflux?

I have more than a little experience with this, maybe describe your symptoms more here to get better responses.  

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, this makes zero sense, none of those aspects does a damn thing for an upset stomach. The whole of what you posted sounds like a bot site that just copies and rewords any article that starts with "health", and then literally ANY keyword or condition you type in will guide you to their stupid listicle.

Upset stomach is such a broad term, what does it mean?  Bloated?  Gassy?  Heartburny?  Reflux?

I have more than a little experience with this, maybe describe your symptoms more here to get better responses.  

You must have just lost a girlfriend.  Eat a snickers.  :P

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

and today I got one, fortunately not bad enough to heave,

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

describe your symptoms

He said the kind that makes you heave when bad enough. 

3 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

He said the kind that makes you heave when bad enough. 

Ah, ok.  Don't add volume or liquid to that, unless you want more of the same heaving.  Get the pepcid, and skip a couple of meals, then no sugar or greasy or spicy or tomatoey crap, only small amounts of healthy stuff in as close to it's natural state as possible.  Don't eat much of it, either.

As a doctor, you should know this!

• Thank You 1

19 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You must have just lost a girlfriend.  Eat a snickers.  :P

Decent advice!  I gave up sugar, though.

I just get upset that these articles offer way over-generalized crap advice as content to drive ad sales.  

56 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I haven't had an upset stomach for ages, but yesterday and today I got one, fortunately not bad enough to heave, perhaps due to new diabetes meds.

Perhaps?  Mick this is consistent with GLP-1 meds and upset stomach is one of the tell tale signs.  It’s not what you ate but likely how much.  Try eating smaller portions more frequently rather than the portions you would normally eat and see if that helps.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

The brat diet should be followed in these cases. Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. 

For non diabetics this is fine.  Diabetics should limit or even skip all of those items… 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Perhaps?  Mick this is consistent with GLP-1 meds and upset stomach is one of the tell tale signs.  It’s not what you ate but likely how much.  Try eating smaller portions more frequently rather than the portions you would normally eat and see if that helps.  

This.  Delayed gastric emptying is no joke.  Think about adding fiber and talk to your doc about meds for nausea.  Another side effect is reflux.  Might be prepared for that as well. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

Peppermint tea can be soothing to an upset stomach. 

Thanks, I thought about that but a liitle too much acid reflux made me stop at the pharmacy 1 mile from home and come right back and they didn't have peppermint in their food section.

So I'm going to have some tea with honey later today.  No peppermint on hand - my dad used to make peppermint tea for me when I was a sick kid.

I drove to the pharmacy and picked up Pepto Bismol and took it when I got home - instant relief.

Mounjaro is known to cause upset stomachs in some people but I took the starter dose, 2.5 units on Saturday and didn't get the upset stomach until Monday afternoon.  More likely it was food.

I had a dozen eggs a few months old and had two on Sunday and they were fine then two on Monday, maybe one was bad.  I'll toss the rest.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I'm going to have some tea with honey later today.  No peppermint on hand - my dad used to make peppermint tea for me when I was a sick kid.

I drove to the pharmacy and picked up Pepto Bismol and took it when I got home - instant relief.

Maunjaro is known to cause upset stomachs in some people but I took the starter dose, 2.5 units on Saturday and didn't get the upset stomach until Monday afternoon.

I had a dozen eggs a few months old and had two on Sunday and they were fine then two on Monday, maybe one was bad.  I'll toss the rest.

I am on Ozempic and the side effects normally kick in after 24-36 hours.  It is not immediately after injection.  I can tell you eating smaller portions is what really helped me.  I seldom eat three meals a day any longer.  I focus on high protein low carb snacks.  Cheese, nuts, hard boiled eggs, that sort of thing.  

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, jsharr said:

hard boiled eggs

23 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

:frantics:
Toss them before you hard boil some more! So you don’t toss them afterwards. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I focus on high protein low carb snacks.  Cheese, nuts, hard boiled eggs, that sort of thing.  

I have been putting down a lot of eggs on my program and was looking for new ways to pack eggs for work. I don’t care for hard boiled eggs but cold soft boiled have a gross texture to me.  So  I started whipping them with various seasonings, pouring the mixture into ramicans (sp?) and baking them.  Once cooled I put them in baggies and take them to work.  Today I sautee’d some mushrooms, cut them into small pieces and threw it in there.  Delicious! 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have been putting down a lot of eggs on my program and was looking for new ways to pack eggs for work. I don’t care for hard boiled eggs but cold soft boiled have a gross texture to me.  So  I started whipping them with various seasonings, pouring the mixture into ramicans (sp?) and baking them.  Once cooled I put them in baggies and take them to work.  Today I sautee’d some mushrooms, cut them into small pieces and threw it in there.  Delicious! 

Sort of like this?  Scrambled Egg muffins?

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222586/scrambled-egg-muffins/

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

We never drink milk with an upset stomach.

I heard the trick of drinking milk on an upset stomach on porpoise, if you have the kind of upset stomach that makes you hurl.  The idea is to have something in you that reduces the acid that you are certainly going to puke up, supposed to be much more protective of the esophagus.  Of course, I learned of this after my surgery for reflux, so I never got a chance to try it, but it sounds sensible in a way.

• Heart 2

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I heard the trick of drinking milk on an upset stomach on porpoise, if you have the kind of upset stomach that makes you hurl.  The idea is to have something in you that reduces the acid that you are certainly going to puke up, supposed to be much more protective of the esophagus.  Of course, I learned of this after my surgery for reflux, so I never got a chance to try it, but it sounds sensible in a way.

It doesn't need to be much milk either. I would tend to warm up the milk a tad.  To baby the esophagus.  Then go to bed/nap.