So, if an offer expires on April 15, shouldn’t I be able to redeem it today?

MoseySusan

Interesting question that I never thought about.  Probably depends on the phrasing.  I've seen "valid thru xyz" and "expiration date xyz". 

I can see that the second phrasing could be deemed to say it expired as soon as that date started, which is why the "valid thru" is probably a clearer way to express the concept.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

It’s the 15th all day. 24 hours of 15th. 

Contest rules (but maybe not coupon rules) state "all entrants received by midnight EST on April 15th" or similar.  Folks in China are already into the next day, and that's if the deadline was us by midnight!

Another reason not to buy from TEMU!!

16 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Technically - no.  Realistically in a commercial environment - yes.

Then make the offer disappear as of the 15th? Some code was employed to post the little EXPIRED notice. Why not just employ some code to remove the notice completely?

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Then make the offer disappear as of the 15th? Some code was employed to post the little EXPIRED notice. Why not just employ some code to remove the notice completely?

Have you ever worked with software developers?  Not the most intuitive group.  Pretty darn literal, in fact.  

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

image.thumb.png.bf85e30fc3a959b17a8ab01b774adab6.png

I think AI is messing with our heads, but expired on 4/15 means not good on 4/15.  The one that confuses me is stock's "shareholder of record date" aka "record date" and "ex-dividend date."  "The ex-dividend date for stocks is usually set one business day before the record date. If you purchase a stock on its ex-dividend date or after, you will not receive the next dividend payment. Instead, the seller gets the dividend. If you purchase before the ex-dividend date, you get the dividend."

And a stock purchase takes three business days to officially occur.  Which date counts?

So the GE Aerospace shares I bought have a: "$0.28 per share dividend payable April 25, 2024, to shareholders of record at the close of business on April 15, 2024. The ex-dividend date is April 12, 2024."  I bought it on Thursday, April 4th.  Am I the shareholder of record then or on Tuesday April 9th?  Either way I got in before April 12th, so I''m looking forward to my dividend next week, which I set up on Schwab to reinvest in more shares.