Bikes you used to own

BR46

My bike love began in my early 20's.

Biscayne Blazer

Gary Fischer Montare

GT Avalanche

Kona King Kikapu (loved this bike!)

Bianchi Virata (The Vaginator, now re-homed to someone that loves it)

Bianchi Volpe (My first dedicated commuter bike)

GT Seek1 (a small...too small)

Specialied Stumpy FSR Comp 29er (upgraded to the carbon comp)

Specialized Fat Boy (too big for me)

7 minutes ago, The Inedible Bulk said:

Mine was some red and white 20 incher, I would guess from someplace like Western Auto.  I kept mine box stock, but my younger brother removed the fenders and was a total wild man.  Our favourite activity was jumping over old bikes on a plywood ramp.  Joey Chitwood was our hero. :D

We would race down the road through the ditch jump up onto the gravel driveway. Even though we probably hit top speed in about 30 feet we would start at the top of the hill waaaày over there. 

A giant beast of a Schwinn Stingray, complete with what I called Golden-Arches handlebars (due to size).  It was a coppery color (well, the parts of it that had paint) and despite having seen good use, it worked amazingly well as a dirt bike once BMX tires were on it, as it was indestructible.

An awful orange Schwinn Varsity.  Almost indestructible, but finally beaten to near death.

My Miyata One-Ten. First great bike I had, and the first bike to teach me how to work on bikes (back when cup and cone bearings still existed).  Replaced the stock brake levers with Dia-Compe aero levers.  6-spd 105 front derailleur, 6-speed Shimano 105 indexed downtube levers, and a 7spd 105 rear derailleur completed my index shifting conversion kit, and a basic TA or maybe SR microadjust seatpost to replace the cross-bolt ratcheting one, with a Vetta race saddle to replace the mediocre stock one.  A Tange chromed fork replaced the Miyata one when I tweaked it a little.  Outgrew it in eight months in a growth spurt.

Schwinn/Paramount 564 Aluminum, I named Scarlett, one of the last made in Chicago.  By the time I sold her, she had gone from downtube levers to STI, and been fully decked out with upgrades (Cinelli bar/stem, RSX levers, Ultegra derailleur and cranks, 105 headset, 600 hubs on Araya rims).  Wish I had kept the Concor saddle though.

scarlett.thumb.jpg.82155db24c8f3a0356d08

I stopped riding for a number of years, then saw something I couldn't resist:  A 2001 Specialized Allez A1-Sport, one year old, with upgraded from stock wheels (Specialized had spoke breakage problems from machine builds, the first owner's shop rebuilt the wheels by hand with Mavic rims and new spokes).  Loved that bike, until I was hit by a car.

allez.JPG.c5efc42a42500a37b71bdac5cd16b6

Now I own my 2003 Trek 2300 with full custom components and paint, and my 1993 Trek 1420 light tourer, also fully rebuilt

2300 nearly original (aside from 180mm DA cranks)

Trek2300.thumb.JPG.74707d54c08a092f62727

Current:

slexpress_2014.thumb.jpg.ca2f56d18c67cd8

T1420 after conversion (had bar-ends and a mix of Deore LX and other stuff, now mostly Ultegra Triple STI and some other remaining bits:

t1420_after.jpg.60b12d3ac8658d5e985d2aba

vk.zip

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Heart 1

I don't have any up close photos of any of the bikes from my distant past. Mostly single speed coaster brake machines from the early 60s until I abandoned bikes around 1970.

My re introduction to cycling came in the late 70s with a 10 speed of uncertain heritage as the frame had been brush painted, right over the decals.

In the 80s and 90s, I was riding some cheap box store bikes until I finally decided in 1999 to buy a decent MTB.

It was a Cannondale F2000, shown here after I converted it to a Rohloff drive train.

14kkto2.jpg

I still have the frame, and will likely build it up again at some point.

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I still have my Holdsworth Record.

Sold mine and bought a Tourer but I still remember how much I enjoyed that bike. I've had so many bikes since then and of all different makes and types. I just wish I could make the most of those I still have.

In order that I got them

Generic Schwinn of early 70s vintage.

Gracco MX 1000 - 1975 or so

Webco Replica 1977

Puegeot Orient Express 1983

Trek 330 - 1984

Trek 1000 - 1988

Bridgestone MB-3 or 4 1991?

1992 Trek 8000 still have it.

1980ish Falcon of England, still have it,

1983 Cannondale SR500 still have it

2005 Trek 1200 still have it.

Some of the early bikes I no longer have are: :

Schwinn Stingray that was a hand me down from my older brother

70's era Schwinn Cruiser that I rode to Jr & High School. I think I bought it off of one of my brother's friends used.  It was a beater but worked great and was my daily commuter for much of my youth. Perfect for trips to the beach & school. 

80 or 81 Univega Sportour. My first new bike that i can remember getting.

Early 90's Diamondback Mtn bike. Sold it though as i was a broke college student.

Mid 90's Univega Aluminum Road bike. It was so freaking harsh I hardly rode it and sold it in the mid 2000's when I got another road bike. 

4 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

Holdsworth Pro, 531 Competition throughout and it was least an inch too big for me.

...for some strange reason, I hardly ever see the team orange Holdsworths for sale around here.  I had to settle for a mundane blue one, and I had to repaint and decal it to boot.:(