We're selling the camper on Craigslist

Dirtyhip

Just now, Wilbur said:

Sorry but that is all I have. :) 

Luckily, it drove away today.  We pulled off a $1000 profit on this rig.  Not bad for playing with it for 2 years.  We put a few bucks in it, but no more than $400.  This worked out well.

We found one we want, but we gotta go get it.  It's about 3 hours away.

• Heart 4

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Luckily, it drove away today.  We pulled off a $1000 profit on this rig.  Not bad for playing with it for 2 years.  We put a few bucks in it, but no more than $400.  This worked out well.

We found one we want, but we gotta go get it.  It's about 3 hours away.

Sweet!

2 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

Get your kids a tent.  If it has wheels under it it's not really camping.

The kids and I use hammocks, but the wife will not do camping that way.. this would be a way for me to get into the "wild". 

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Like a featherlight 18. Considering toy haulers as well. We want a queen bed, simple kitchen and a dinette table. We play lots of chess.

Gotcha.  I would really look at something just a little bigger...if it was me.  But there is a lot to be said for going smaller.  Some of the little 22 footers squeeze so much into a small package.  I feel like the 18's are too much on a single axle.  I get a little nervous about that.  We had the little 17 hybrid that was really nice, but I hate the idea of canvas on a camper.  Our 28 bunkhouse is perfect for our family.  If it were just me and the wife I would prob look at about a 22-24 with a little kitchen and big queen bed.  Those are really easy to pull.  

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We want a smaller one. We have a 1/2 ton. You probably have a 3/4 ton, you big manly man you. 

I have a 1/2 ton F150.  It has the ecoboost V6 with 365 hp and 400 ft/lb of manly torque.  Set up the way it is the max weight is 9,300 lbs.  Of course if you take 10% of that max weight that would give you about a 900 lb tongue eight.  My truck can handle that, but would not leave enough payload left over for ice, water, beer, faarwood, kids, etc....  My 28 footer weighs right around 5,000 dry.  I guess it's at 6,000 ish loaded.  Well within my max pulling and payload for the 1/2 ton.  

My next truck will probably be a single rear wheel 1 ton F 350.  Cause you know, they are really manly.  And my wife wants a 5th wheel.  This is actually my retirement plan.  Work here and there as a traveling nurse and just take the camper.  

• Heart 1

Mine's a small one, only 33' and pulling it with one of those weak ass (designed and built in the US) foreign half ton trucks.  It's rough squeezing all of us into a camper with only two opposable supper slides but we make do.

20170801_120549.jpg

20171014_144415.jpg

• Heart 2

47 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Like a featherlight 18. Considering toy haulers as well. We want a queen bed, simple kitchen and a dinette table. We play lots of chess.

On the long list of to be bought is a camper. My wife has only TWO considerations - the 18'-22' Airsteams and recently, the T@B teardrops.  She really likes the Airstreams but bang for buck is severely lacking unless you use the heck out of it, so the T@Bs fall into the fun and cheap alternative column.

Our annual RV show is this weekend, but we may not hit it this year. Best to go every other or so.

Tom 

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

Mine's a small one, only 33' and pulling it with one of those weak ass (designed and built in the US) foreign half ton trucks.  It's rough squeezing all of us into a camper with only two opposable supper slides but we make do.

20170801_120549.jpg

20171014_144415.jpg

You should have at least a 1 ton dually with a diesel motor to pull that.

• Haha 1

A toy hauler would rock for you guys as you'd have a garage for your bikes.  But toy haulers get heavy quick, a light weight toy hauler is a bit of a misnomer as they have to be over built to handle the possible load people may carry in them.  You just have to do your research on what your truck is designed to handle load wise.  People will often tell you that you can haul more than what the truck is rated, especially if you do certain things to it.  While that is true as tow ratings are not from an engineering design sense, an absolute max but a derated value for liability and reliability purposes, you still can run into insurance issues by exceeding your max rating.  So if something goes wrong and you are over, you could be completely SOL.

Need any advice, you have some pretty seasoned experts here on this stuff.  I'd definitely prefer a double axle to a single axle.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

On the long list of to be bought is a camper. My wife has only TWO considerations - the 18'-22' Airsteams and recently, the T@B teardrops.  She really likes the Airstreams but bang for buck is severely lacking unless you use the heck out of it, so the T@Bs fall into the fun and cheap alternative column.

Our annual RV show is this weekend, but we may not hit it this year. Best to go every other or so.

Tom 

Airstreams are high!  The good thing is that they appear to keep their resale value.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

A toy hauler would rock for you guys as you'd have a garage for your bikes.  But toy haulers get heavy quick, a light weight toy hauler is a bit of a misnomer as they have to be over built to handle the possible load people may carry in them.  You just have to do your research on what your truck is designed to handle load wise.  People will often tell you that you can haul more than what the truck is rated, especially if you do certain things to it.  While that is true as tow ratings are not from an engineering design sense, an absolute max but a derated value for liability and reliability purposes, you still can run into insurance issues by exceeding your max rating.  So if something goes wrong and you are over, you could be completely SOL.

Need any advice, you have some pretty seasoned experts here on this stuff.  I'd definitely prefer a double axle to a single axle.

I agree with the light toy hauler.  I have not looked into some of the smaller ones though.  I have seen some little guys designed for the Harley crowd that a 1/2 ton could pull.  They are designed for a single motorcycle.  No reason you could not put a couple of bikes in there and be way under weight.  

57 minutes ago, Indy said:

And I hear you can get campers a lot cheaper in Indiana, probably since a lot of them are made in Northern Indiana.  So you should just do a road trip to get one.  :D

I am thinking Forum meetup in brown county!  I can rent a proper MTB and we can let @Dirtyhip experience Indiana's finest trails.  She can mentor Griffin on the bike, she can let emmy hit her with a fastball and we can get K drunk around the camp faar.

• Heart 3

7 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I am thinking Forum meetup in brown county!  I can rent a proper MTB and we can let @Dirtyhip experience Indiana's finest trails.  She can mentor Griffin on the bike, she can let emmy hit her with a fastball and we can get K drunk around the camp faar.

Rent?  I think we can come up with something that rolls.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Thank you , my friend.  

We found one of these.  I really like the layout.  We may buy it tomorrow. 

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2006-jay-feather-sport-lw/

@Parr8hed

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Thank you , my friend.  

We found one of these.  I really like the layout.  We may buy it tomorrow. 

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2006-jay-feather-sport-lw/

@Parr8hed

The only issue for me would be lack of a queen bed.  But having no kids, that top bunk could really make for some good storage.  I like the floor plan.

6 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

The only issue for me would be lack of a queen bed.  But having no kids, that top bunk could really make for some good storage.  I like the floor plan.

Yeah, for just two people, would probably work really well.  Not everyone is traveling circus with kids, dogs and guinea pigs.

We get some weird looks when the guinea pigs are out running around on top of the picnic table.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

The one we are looking at has a queen in the back.  One bath, small kitchen and a removable table.  We could put two bikes in the dining area, with the table collapsed.  

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yeah, for just two people, would probably work really well.  Not everyone is traveling circus with kids, dogs and guinea pigs.

We get some weird looks when the guinea pigs are out running around on top of the picnic table.

Word.

...and I find it hilarious that you are serious about the guinea pigs.  LMAO!  You fucking family people crack me up.  HAHA

• Heart 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

The one we are looking at has a queen in the back.  One bath, small kitchen and a removable table.  We could put two bikes in the dining area, with the table collapsed.  

Word.

...and I find it hilarious that you are serious about the guinea pigs.  LMAO!  You fucking family people crack me up.  HAHA

Guinea Pigs rock, and they are super easy to take.  Throw their big cage in the camper (we have one just for camping) then put the piggies in their carrier and let them ride in the car.  Biggest issue is getting the camper cooled off because their temperature tolerance is very wide, to hot and you can kill them, to cold and you can kill them, biggest issue with them.

11 minutes ago, Indy said:

Guinea Pigs rock, and they are super easy to take.  Throw their big cage in the camper (we have one just for camping) then put the piggies in their carrier and let them ride in the car.  Biggest issue is getting the camper cooled off because their temperature tolerance is very wide, to hot and you can kill them, to cold and you can kill them, biggest issue with them.

You over estimate my willingness to have any sort of responsibilities.  :flirtyeyess:

• Heart 2

I've got my hybrid on Craigslist now, but the inquiries have slowed so I'll need to bump the ad.  Selling it relatively cheap because it needs a roof leak fixed, about $1600 for a dealer or $300 DIY.

Weirdness, I got a bunch of real lowball prices with "does the heater work, I need to live in it".  A couple waited for me to reject their bid to use the "homeless vet needs to live in it" line.

Probably going shopping this weekend, want to get those winter prices.  No more canvas, looking for less than 30 ft that sleeps 6.  Seeing bunches of bunkhouses, but I want a couch.

1 hour ago, 12string said:

I've got my hybrid on Craigslist now, but the inquiries have slowed so I'll need to bump the ad.  Selling it relatively cheap because it needs a roof leak fixed, about $1600 for a dealer or $300 DIY.

Weirdness, I got a bunch of real lowball prices with "does the heater work, I need to live in it".  A couple waited for me to reject their bid to use the "homeless vet needs to live in it" line.

Probably going shopping this weekend, want to get those winter prices.  No more canvas, looking for less than 30 ft that sleeps 6.  Seeing bunches of bunkhouses, but I want a couch.

I had a bunk house and got rid of it because while the beds are nice at night, during the day they are just a lot of wasted space.  In my current one, couch turns into a bed, table turns into a bed and we have room for a queen sized air mattress and you can still walk around it.  So much more flexible and functional.

I'm not a fan of islands in trailers, but that layout works pretty well.  Of course, it's 3 feet too long, and a wee bit heavy for a 1500.  Good point about the bunks taking up space.  We don't spend a ton of time inside, but it's something to consider.  They are a good place to throw all the extra stuff during the day.

2 hours ago, 12string said:

I'm not a fan of islands in trailers, but that layout works pretty well.  Of course, it's 3 feet too long, and a wee bit heavy for a 1500.  Good point about the bunks taking up space.  We don't spend a ton of time inside, but it's something to consider.  They are a good place to throw all the extra stuff during the day.

Yes they are, we got caught on some rainy trips in are old one and realized there wasn't room to sit inside.  Also with young ones, you kind of have to sit inside in the evening to get them to calm down.  We actually went to go look at a rear kitchen layout that was lighter with a single slide, still love the rear kitchen layout, but saw this and pretty much fell in love with it.

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Three hour drive today to possibly buy a Jayco sport 186. Looks pretty decent, but in person is the key. 

Is it a good time to buy? I've read "at the shows" is the best time to buy, but maybe winter has them really wanting to sell?

Tom