Do you like brussels sprouts?

Square Wheels

12 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yeah, I had a cheese sandwich the other day because I hadn't eaten all day and that's the best I could come up with in the location I was at.  My insides suffered.  I kid not.

Doing without when you cannot trough on your acceptable fodder is possible, and quite survivable, I do it often enough, when I fail to get my sheot together, so to speak.

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I would never cook it.  I have cooked spinach and kale.  Lettuce seems like a crispy cold food for me and never wilted or cooked.  

We use to like some of the leaf lettuce varieties wilted and sauteed a bit in vinegar and oil.  A little bacon in the mix was also nice.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I had high hopes for something white and crunchy, but I have since moved on to daikon radishes and never looked back!  Jicama sucked also.

I bought a monster daikon, we call em mooli, for making kimchi last weekend, only needed 8oz, I still have much of it in the frig.

• Awesome 1

20 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Daikons are awesome. :) $1 for a ton of good eatin'!

supper tonight was a pottage of peas, i.e. yellow split peas, with mushroom, winter squash and a very welkom appearance of some laying around daikon I had in the frig: it went down lovely, plenty leftover for freezing for future reference, for lunch at work, for example.

On 10/12/2018 at 3:41 PM, Dirtyhip said:

I would never cook it.  I have cooked spinach and kale.  Lettuce seems like a crispy cold food for me and never wilted or cooked.  

Lettuce wedge, served on a cold plate with your choice of topping.

Kale works good in soup.

I really don't like cauliflower or rhubarb but that has more to do with farming it when I was young.  It's funny how I equate certain food tastes or smells with things like that.  I worked as a busboy in an ice cream shop after high school and to this day I don't really like the smell of ice cream.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Lettuce wedge, served on a cold plate with your choice of topping.

Kale works good in soup.

I really don't like cauliflower or rhubarb but that has more to do with farming it when I was young.  It's funny how I equate certain food tastes or smells with things like that.  I worked as a busboy in an ice cream shop after high school and to this day I don't really like the smell of ice cream.

Proustian stuff, maxx, liking it, mate.

spinach and kale work wonders buried in a deep swirl of a fruit smoothie.  If you can't eat them, drink them.  My wife makes superb frozen fruit smoothies with other non-dairy, non-sat fat ingredients and I actually prefer it.  And if you've never had her "Nice dream" made in her food processor w/ all fresh, frozen whole fruit ingredients... you'll never know what you are missing.  I honestly think there is ZERO let down eating it over ice cream.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I had to look up Proustian.  It seems like at a certain age everything brings up memories of the past.  :(

Your can say that again, but Marcel was at it from cradle to grave. Coincidentally my sister’s name is same as his favourite biscuit that he’s allus remembering.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:35 AM, Dottles said:

'is' in this case as I was referring to a type of food. I was referring to a single item in a set of food.  But had that context not existed, indeed it would have been 'are' for the plural form.

Sprouts is singular, yes. 

Made a brussel sprout casserole last nite. Took a bag of TJ's shredded brussel sprouts, and fried it up in a blend of olive and coconut oil.

I grated some organic cheddar and gruyere

Whisked an egg, would have used 2 if I'd had it. Added paprika, turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, coconut aminos, 1/2 can of organic mushroom soup, and a splash of heavy cream.

Added 2 cans of tuna.

Stirred it all together, put some 4 cheese italian (TJ) on top and cooked it in 300F oven for about 45.

• 5 months later...
On 10/13/2018 at 12:43 AM, petitepedal said:

I like them...had some roasted last night...like them shredded and cooked with onion and bacon...and I will eat them steamed with S & P

But will you eat them in a box, with a fox?

I just had some lightly steamed with a tad of butter and salt.  They could have stood a tad more steaming and a tad more butter, but they were still excellent!  I can take them roasted now as long as they are not burned and dessicated to a crisp, which is easy to do since they are so small and delicate.

I love them. I always grow them in my veggie garden - which I haven't kept for a few years but hope to do next year.

Martha Stewart includes a dozen of them - cut in half as you like (me too!) in her VERY excellent Savory Fall Stew (sausage, butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, brussels sprouts, onions, tomatoes and fennel):

https://www.marthastewart.com/337234/savory-fall-stew

image.png.0a5748e2fb8ea8ff31daf0bfa96a0504.png