Yesterday at the LBS

ChrisL

31 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

you know he goes home & tells SO

I was trying to work & be productive & this old guy kept bending my ear....   ?

It actually started with him asking ME questions about my Anthem, what I liked about it and why I chose it over the Trance.  It then morphed into a discussion on flat vs clipped in pedals, types of shoes and why I liked them, bottle vs camelback etc.  

It was dead in the shop at opening time on a rainy day so he had time to BS with me while I waited.

Oh and I doubt the kid had a SO, GF maybe.  He was maybe 19...

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, donkpow said:

There are different areas of knowledge a bike shop employee should possess. I find a consistent lack of mechanic focused knowledge in a bike shop. Everybody is hopped up on gear and riding but nobody lives to be a bike mechanic.

I'm still pi$$ed that my rims came apart shortly after I had the lbs true them.  Yes, they were old, but they were tank-like and had managed to last for 15 years up until then.  

16 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I'm still pi$$ed that my rims came apart shortly after I had the lbs true them.  Yes, they were old, but they were tank-like and had managed to last for 15 years up until then.  

I've got the new bicycle and I check 'er over pretty good. The wheels are factory built and it appears no lubricant was used when they built the wheels. This makes break away torque unusually high and not representative of anything about wheel or spoke tension. I damaged one of the nipples until I found a technique to adjust the spokes. One of these days, I'll go back and rebuild the wheel with existing parts and get everything nice and lubricated. I get a free 90 day check up on the bike from the store and the guy cautioned me about doing anything that would negate the warranty.

7 hours ago, donkpow said:

I've got the new bicycle and I check 'er over pretty good. The wheels are factory built and it appears no lubricant was used when they built the wheels. This makes break away torque unusually high and not representative of anything about wheel or spoke tension. I damaged one of the nipples until I found a technique to adjust the spokes. One of these days, I'll go back and rebuild the wheel with existing parts and get everything nice and lubricated. I get a free 90 day check up on the bike from the store and the guy cautioned me about doing anything that would negate the warranty.

The shop I got the Anthem at offers free “adjustments” for the life of the bike.  If I sell it the new owner can still take it in.  So far they have done the 90 day and then adjusted my rear derailleur.

I think it’s pretty smart as it encourages the owner to take it in for the minor stuff and when brake pads go or something needs to be replaced then you’re inclined to have the work done as it’s already there.  I really don’t like to wrench so it works for me.

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

The shop I got the Anthem at offers free “adjustments” for the life of the bike.  If I sell it the new owner can still take it in.  So far they have done the 90 day and then adjusted my rear derailleur.

I think it’s pretty smart as it encourages the owner to take it in for the minor stuff and when brake pads go or something needs to be replaced then you’re inclined to have the work done as it’s already there.  I really don’t like to wrench so it works for me.

Plus they hire a kid for old timers to punch around. That looks like smart business.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, donkpow said:

There are different areas of knowledge a bike shop employee should possess. I find a consistent lack of mechanic focused knowledge in a bike shop. Everybody is hopped up on gear and riding but nobody lives to be a bike mechanic.

You can always tell though which one is the real mechanic.  He's the grumpy one.

• Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Where did you have this done?  (if you told the story I think I missed it)

4 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

Where did you have this done?  (if you told the story I think I missed it)

I never really told the story I don't think.  It was a well-established LBS near me which has been fine except for that, but now I go to a newer one.  Of course I don;t buy shit anyhoo!  The wheel-truing fiasco finally got me to give up the ancient 1988 bike and go to a newer 2006 bike. :D

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I never really told the story I don't think.  It was a well-established LBS near me which has been fine except for that, but now I go to a newer one.  Of course I don;t buy shit anyhoo!  The wheel-truing fiasco finally got me to give up the ancient 1988 bike and go to a newer 2006 bike. :D

OK.  I was just curious.  I bought my Rockhopper down your way-ish (I think), at A.W. on Route 45.  This was either '99 or '00 when I still lived in Oaklyn..

8 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

OK.  I was just curious.  I bought my Rockhopper down your way-ish (I think), at A.W. on Route 45.  This was either '99 or '00 when I still lived in Oaklyn..

Bingo!  A new one opened in Pitman that I like now.  I bought my Burley kid trailer at Action Wheels.  My 1988 bike in Drexel Hill, and the 1981 one at Dunbar in Wilmington.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

Funny - I was at a meeting in Pitman last Tuesday, and I think I saw the place i think you're referring to - Caffeinated? - on the map but i didn't have time to stop (and they probably weren't open anyway - wasn't even 10am.)

The location is very bike-friendly and it is near one of my favourite ride destinations, a nice park.  I had them assemble my "new" bike and they helped me finger oot how modern shifters work. :D

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 2/3/2019 at 2:47 PM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I would guess that you can only tighten the spokes so much and then something has got to give.

11 hours ago, Further said:

That guy was great. He had some 'personality' but gave great advice. He is missed   :(

He added the adjective "ham-fisted" to my vocabulary and I think of him every time I use it.  I learned a lot from him, mostly how much I didn't know. 

• Heart 1