Repetitive stuff, BookFace edition

Randomguy

I mostly dropped out of BookFace, but I will go there every few months for some reason or other.  

I have one friend in particular that posts the same kinds of video over and over and over.  It is his kid on a skateboard or his kid in a bmx race.  I can see being overly proud of your offspring, I mean they didn't call it proud parent syndrome for no reason.  That said, these hundreds of videos are interchangeable, nearly indistinguishable from each other.  It is noise.  Why?

Don't do this if you are doing it, thank you.

I wonder about the "historical" value of this sort of thing.  It may be better than the old "dusty box in the attic" or "on an old hard drive somewhere" method, or FB could start messing with retention and eventually - say 10 years from now - be in a totally different tech niche with no semblance or history of 2019 or earlier - ie your "memories" just disappeared into ether".

From a "why share everything that looks the same", it might be the grandparents live far away and they actually see and care about each tiny difference.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I wonder about the "historical" value of this sort of thing.  It may be better than the old "dusty box in the attic" or "on an old hard drive somewhere" method, or FB could start messing with retention and eventually - say 10 years from now - be in a totally different tech niche with no semblance or history of 2019 or earlier - ie your "memories" just disappeared into ether".

From a "why share everything that looks the same", it might be the grandparents live far away and they actually see and care about each tiny difference.

I do that often.  Share things mainly so that family not local to us can see it.  Believe it or not, some of the reason I share G's race vids so much is so that people from this site can see.  And I love to use the "memories" feature. 

• Awesome 1

36 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I may be guilty of some of this.  Posting vids of Emmy pitching or Griffin racing in horrid conditions.  What can I do to remedy this situation???

Hmm, since you may be guilty, we have to chop off a hand.  

I think the first time or two of any activity is great, that is what people want to see.  Then maybe an update once a year or when something truly novel happens, like a first podium or the first time Emmy strikes out the side every inning and then kills hated politicians and public figures with rapid-fire pitches to the head when she is triggered somehow by a world-conquest obsessed villain.

But the hand has to go.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Hmm, since you may be guilty, we have to chop off a hand.  

I think the first time or two of any activity is great, that is what people want to see.  Then maybe an update once a year or when something truly novel happens, like a first podium or the first time Emmy strikes out the side every inning and then kills hated politicians and public figures with rapid-fire pitches to the head when she is triggered somehow by a world-conquest obsessed villain of some sort.  

But the hand has to go.

which hand?

12 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

They don't offend me, but then again, I don't do Facebook.?

It isn't offensive, but it is a self-marginalizing behavior.  Kind of a "Geez, another identical video of the kid trying to do some boring as hell thing on a skateboard"  Skateboarding practice or success is boring as hell, btw, even skateboarders know this.  Also, once a bmx race starts, every damn one is exactly the same, no need to post 3 videos a few times a week.

Too much gets the "I don't care" reaction from people, then they realize that you have developed awareness issues and they will treat you differently and will only associate with you in group situations.  It is a survival strategy.

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It isn't offensive, but it is a self-marginalizing behavior.  Kind of a "Geez, another identical video of the kid trying to do some boring as hell thing on a skateboard"  Skateboarding practice or success is boring as hell, btw, even skateboarders know this.  Also, once a bmx race starts, every damn one is exactly the same, no need to post 3 videos a few times a week.

Too much gets the "I don't care" reaction from people, then they realize that you have developed awareness issues and they will treat you differently and will only associate with you in group situations.  It is a survival strategy.

As I indicated, I don't do facebook. So this information falls on 'deaf' ears. What others think or do relative to facebook, really does not have much impact on my life.

There is a great chance they did not post those for your benefit, but someone else's.  If you dont like it, block it

As someone who had three kids in four years and a job that took my parents only Grandchildren and moved them thousands of miles away, it is a way for my parents to see the kids in day to day activities and feel like they are connected to the kids and are a part of their growing up.  

Having said that, two things you should know

1) I am not really on facebook

b) My youngest is 23 and when they were small there was no facebook

iii) But if there was facebook back then, I know that is why WofZ would plug up the internet with pics and vids of the kids.  Not to show them off, but to let family see

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

As I indicated, I don't do facebook. So this information falls on 'deaf' ears. What others think or do relative to facebook, really does not have much impact on my life.

Not doing FB is a relatively smart thing nowadays.  I'd recommend sticking with that approach as it is only getting worse, not better.  I would, though, consider reaching out to whomever it is that thinks it is wise to JUST use FB for meet-ups, etc to consider using something less awful. Most platforms EASILY will take what you have and push to FB, so the source is not FB but it is still viewable by the FB crowd.  I do it with Strava occasionally, and it is way better (to me) than just starting from FB.

Separately, there are workarounds to giving your life's details away to FB and still having a minimalist "dummy" account that you can use sparingly solely for the groups that do use FB exclusively for their organizing of events.

4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

There is a great chance they did not post those for your benefit, but someone else's.  If you dont like it, block it

As someone who had three kids in four years and a job that took my parents only Grandchildren and moved them thousands of miles away, it is a way for my parents to see the kids in day to day activities and feel like they are connected to the kids and are a part of their growing up.  

Having said that, two things you should know

1) I am not really on facebook

b) My youngest is 23 and when they were small there was no facebook

iii) But if there was facebook back then, I know that is why WofZ would plug up the internet with pics and vids of the kids.  Not to show them off, but to let family see

There is definitely some of that, but there is a compulsion to post involved too, plus the lack of awareness.  Overkill is overkill.

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Not doing FB is a relatively smart thing nowadays.  I'd recommend sticking with that approach as it is only getting worse, not better.  I would, though, consider reaching out to whomever it is that thinks it is wise to JUST use FB for meet-ups, etc to consider using something less awful. Most platforms EASILY will take what you have and push to FB, so the source is not FB but it is still viewable by the FB crowd.  I do it with Strava occasionally, and it is way better (to me) than just starting from FB.

Separately, there are workarounds to giving your life's details away to FB and still having a minimalist "dummy" account that you can use sparingly solely for the groups that do use FB exclusively for their organizing of events.

I had a dummy account for a brief period, and that was enough.  They send me emails, but do not keep up the web page.  I am still somewhat active, but not 'very'' active.  They'll be having a show at the local Waterworks Art Museum beginning in June, and I'll have 11 photos displayed.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

I may be guilty of some of this.  Posting vids of Emmy pitching or Griffin racing in horrid conditions.  What can I do to remedy this situation???

Keep posting Emmy and G-man videos. They are a thousand times better than the crappy political posts. I enjoy watching them and enjoy you really involved with your kids and proud of them. They are destined to turn out well because of your involvement in their lives. Good job dad.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

MSN was one of the worst for disappearing with little notice and taking lots of pics with it.

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They are a thousand times better than the crappy political posts.

I have unfriended or unfollowed all the people who post political stuff, so I don't see it that often.  Even still, I am mostly happy I am not on much.  Maybe I will post a few pics soon, dunno.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Your left hand first.

I just looked.  Maybe just the thumb, because it is obvious you have other interests, too.  My buddy will literally post 7 - 10 identical videos in a week, so you aren't in the same league.  He is in the show, you are single-A league in comparison.