I Knew Immediately

Razors Edge

...from the photo where they were writing about ( 2019 Fittest City in America ?

Cyclist pedaling down bike trail next to the Potomac at dawn

Actually, wasn't sure how they would parse it, because realistically, "Arlington" is just an extension of DC albeit across the river and a Virginia city.  I consider it the "DC metropolitan area", but whatever.  Arlington #1, DC #6.  

image.thumb.png.17fe30e5799a7e16630341b338e6d96d.png

...and the bottom 20 :(

image.png.f279cb4f7bde11ad0dadf7a67832e95d.png

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, late said:

So California gets 13 or 14 slots, and Maine gets none...

Not that we would have fared well, but Portland, at least, should have been in there.

They used the 100 largest US cities (technically, Arlington is a "census designated place"), and Portland. Maine isn't in the top 300 US cities in size, let alone the top 100. 

They may do a review of smaller towns and cities, or they may do one of "metropolitan areas" which would then include Portland, but right now, Portland (67k)- as a "city" - is barely larger than my little town (58k).

DC metro area has a bunch of active duty and recently separated military who still lead active lives.  The number of runners on the mall on any given morning is a tell tale sign.

Irvine CA was built to be this ideal community and is sort of a weird place to live. Kinda like the Stepford Wives type of thing.  But they built in bike friendly paths and the roads are bike friendly too.  I ride in & around Irvine often.

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

They used the 100 largest US cities (technically, Arlington is a "census designated place"), and Portland. Maine isn't in the top 300 US cities in size, let alone the top 100. 

They may do a review of smaller towns and cities, or they may do one of "metropolitan areas" which would then include Portland, but right now, Portland (67k)- as a "city" - is barely larger than my little town (58k).

Mass and Conn are New England geographically, but not culturally. They aren't New England.

So New England doesn't exist.

It's a shame, because activists here need all the help they can get. When there has been reform, for cycling, it's been when outside groups got involved here. Even a silly survey like that can help.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

We are talking about the REAL Portland!  Not some hippy dope smoking commune!

My brother is out at the Nike campus this week and he just wanders around in disbelief.  Seemingly a pretty cool place.

I am probably only 1 of a few that can say they've been to both places.

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Isn't Arlington where our government minions who are doing a stellar job for us live?  Of course it's great, the best. 

The minions keeping us from teetering into chaos? Yeah, many probably live there.  If you were a PhD or a retired colonel or a NASA scientist, would you live in your hood or in the area you could best serve your country (and world)?  The DC burbs are a good choice.