Update on the dreaded platform

Dottleshead

It continues. My dumbass friend decides we need to remove the frame after all when he realizes he can't build his casting forms in the middle. Meanwhile I had to dig holes around it. What an ass. You can see the type of friends I keep. 

We typically get to work on it half a day. It just continues.

IMG_20190619_180729.jpg

IMG_20190619_180715.jpg

One thing I learned very early when building homes,  take advice from people with the knowledge, discard the rest.   

Someone asked me to quote a deck and staircases to them.  I gave them the price and they asked “How much if I help”.  I said “Double that”.  :)

Work smart, not hard, Dottie. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I think you need to hire Smudge & HOSmudge to help you get this done. They. Ould even put a she-shed on it.

We only have about half a weekend every other weekend. I'm convinced my shed was proving ground for some of his theories. He wants to build one on his property in the near future. Only he gets to dig on even, softer ground. No doubt far less holes, half as deep and no timber on top until after the piers are done.

As mentioned, he's an asshole.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

You're probably going to have to cut back the foliage about 20 yards to keep everything from being damp all the time and rotting.

If I buy a prefab shed, I am thinking of putting a metal roof on it. Treated lumber at least 8 inches off the ground, and a metal roof. That thing will be there well after I am dead.

3 hours ago, smudge said:

Oh Dottie. I'm so sorry you've worked so hard on this project but aren't getting anywhere!!  Hate to say it, but you need to get a different friend!

He has quite a few running loose in that head of his, each one more incompetent than the next.

16 minutes ago, Dottie said:

If I buy a prefab shed, I am thinking of putting a metal roof on it. Treated lumber at least 8 inches off the ground, and a metal roof. That thing will be there, laying in pieces next to the the unfinished deck well after I am dead.

fify

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wilbur said:

One thing I learned very early when building homes,  take advice from people with the knowledge, discard the rest.   

Someone asked me to quote a deck and staircases to them.  I gave them the price and they asked “How much if I help”.  I said “Double that”.  :)

Work smart, not hard, Dottie. 

You never fly into Seattle anymore, Wilbur. How can I lean on you when you're not available??

2 minutes ago, Dottie said:

One can't get any power equipment in my back yard. So this video doesn't cut the mustard. But also I am at work and want to watch it but can't now 

I agree it isn’t perfect.  It would have been if the guy used helical piles and a steel roof. 

• Awesome 1

59 minutes ago, wilbur said:

I agree it isn’t perfect.  It would have been if the guy used helical piles and a steel roof. 

1 hour ago, wilbur said:

helical piles

I googled and they look great, but how do they react to rock when installing ? And how do you drive them ?

7 minutes ago, Dottie said:

No, you're thinking of Daltry's line, "I can see for piles and piles -- I can see for piles and piles -- I can see for piles and piles and piles and piles -- oh yeah"

I DO NOT want to see for piles and piles! 

NTTIAWWT but NOPE!