When a parody gets more responses than original thought

Dirtyhip

For the record, I am NOT going to comment on a lady's weight, age, likelihood of a pregnancy, or anything even remotely related to that!

I will, though, comment on @jsharr's and @Kzoo's fat azz bellies and the odds they might actually be pregnant.

Your thread was doomed from the get go.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

27 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

For the record, I am NOT going to comment on a lady's weight, age, likelihood of a pregnancy, or anything even remotely related to that!

I will, though, comment on @jsharr's and @Kzoo's fat azz bellies and the odds they might actually be pregnant.

Your thread was doomed from the get go.

Solid.

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

I disagree. Your posts are great.  Often they thought provoking and inspiring. Parodies are usually more lighthearted and easier to make replies. 

Yep. Parody threads simply require an equally inane response to the dopiness. A "real" topic - hopefully - requires a bit of thought and maybe a respectful reply.

Just now, Longjohn said:

She doesn’t have a fat ass anymore. She left it with you on the plane.

I don't think her ass was ever fat - by SW standards - and has gone from "lean" to "schralping lean". I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say that DH probably makes the ultimate seat mate on a flight.   

• Hugs 2

Sometimes I don't even realize the parodies are parodies until after I've posted. and see the other thread.  :nodhead:

But I do agree that sometimes a thread gets a lot of responses because it starts a running joke or it's easy to post a quick quip.  I'm often checking the site from work and I may not have the time to respond to a post that's a bit deeper or requires more thought.  I tend to think about those with an intention to come back, but whether I do or not depends a lot on how busy I get.

One of the main things I like about this forum is the variety.  There's a good load of silly which I can often use during a work day, but there are also posts where people share challenges they are facing, personal losses, family issues or some of the things they are facing during the day.  Those are the posts that really help me get to "know" people and care more about them. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I backed out of one of your threads after I made a comment and you got all defensive with three consecutive posts explaining how your lifestyle is better than mine.

It grows tiring for people with kids to say “oh, you are missing so much.” Like, my choices were not valid. 

I stand by my posts. I do defend my choices to comments like that. It’s a ridiculous comment so I spun it back at ya. 

44 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I don't think her ass was ever fat - by SW standards - and has gone from "lean" to "schralping lean". I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say that DH probably makes the ultimate seat mate on a flight.   

Not really. I pee too much. Also, I talk too much. 

I don’t overfill the seat tho.

19 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Sometimes I don't even realize the parodies are parodies until after I've posted. and see the other thread.  :nodhead:

But I do agree that sometimes a thread gets a lot of responses because it starts a running joke or it's easy to post a quick quip.  I'm often checking the site from work and I may not have the time to respond to a post that's a bit deeper or requires more thought.  I tend to think about those with an intention to come back, but whether I do or not depends a lot on how busy I get.

One of the main things I like about this forum is the variety.  There's a good load of silly which I can often use during a work day, but there are also posts where people share challenges they are facing, personal losses, family issues or some of the things they are facing during the day.  Those are the posts that really help me get to "know" people and care more about them. 

Kirby is perfection in a frog

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It grows tiring for people with kids to say “oh, you are missing so much.” Like, my choices were not valid. 

I stand by my posts. I do defend my choices to comments like that. It’s a ridiculous comment so I spun it back at ya. 

It answers the question of why some threads fizzle out. I do agree with your decision to not pass on a genetic issue to your offspring. So many people continue to breed even after child after child is born with genetic issues. Yes they still have value and deserve a chance at life but why not hold off on creating more and adopt to fill your quiver?

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

It answers the question of why some threads fizzle out. I do agree with your decision to not pass on a genetic issue to your offspring. So many people continue to breed even after child after child is born with genetic issues. Yes they still have value and deserve a chance at life but why not hold off on creating more and adopt to fill your quiver?

Some of us realize we are better suited as a cool auntie or a big sister than a parent. Why do you keep pushing this on me? 

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Some of us realize we are better suited as a cool auntie or a big sister than a parent. Why do you keep pushing this on me? 

I gotta say, while I'd likely be a better parent than a large percentage of parents, it ain't in the cards for me.  I am a top tier uncle, though!  Definitely far more flexible being an uncle than a parent.  I'm pretty happy with our decision to keep the world unpopulated with RE's offspring.

On the flip side, I definitely get LJ's angle on adoption/fostering as a valuable way to help the world.  It's a route we have briefly discussed, but chosen not to follow. As the "back up" for several of our siblings in case of their deaths, we hope to never need to step up, but would in that case.